Wheel cleaner

_peas, Nov 27, 9:01pm
Anyone got any recommendations for wheel cleaner, the Armour all seems to be reviewed well and isn't that pricy. Now that the Auckland drought is "over" my wheels need some attention to remove 8 months of brake dust. They are alloys with some paint as well. Imagine 16 spoke white with machined face and rim. Pretty much worst case scenario.

sw20, Nov 28, 3:51am
Never used ‘wheel cleaner’ waste of money.

I have an old wash mitt and a separate bucket for wheels. Just use regular car wash.

Rinse wheel with hose first and then wash wheel with wash mitt. Rinse off. Done.

nice_lady, Nov 28, 7:18am
Best cleaner: Elbow grease.

cjohnw, Nov 28, 8:15am
I guess itdepends on the pads being used, but I find I need something to actually dissolve the dust.
Subaru are renowned for a lot of dust.
I have found Wheelmuck+ to be the best. Spray on, wait till it turns purple and hose off!
Also available at Repco.

https://motomuck.co.nz/products/wheelmuck-750ml-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1MezhLej7QIVuoNLBR1nuADDEAAYASAAEgIDSPD_BwE

kazbanz, Nov 28, 10:01am
As step 1 I would wet the rims apply normal hot soapy water and scrub with a brush. Then blast off with a pressure washer/water blaster.
See what you then have to work with. We have mag wheel cleaner in concentrated form here. I dilute it depending on how bad the dust is ingrained. Wet the surface, spray or brush on the cleaner . leave a minute scrub ,another few minutes then spray off with a pressure washer/water blaster.

monsieurl, Nov 28, 10:44am
I used to use CRC spray can wheel cleaner and a brush attachment that I use on my drill afterwards, then a hose/waterblast keeps them clean but recently I bought a new car and as the rims are very expensive I decided to spend the extra money getting them professionally ceramic coated when the car got done and it's like magic, nothing sticks and what does a hose down has them looking brand new. I bought some Mothers CMX hybrid ceramic coat and have used this on my other 2 cars rims and this also does a good job but after around 6 months has needed to be done again.

rodeorunch, Nov 28, 10:55am
Wet and forget Shower witch .
I use to use that on the white steel rims on my landcruiser before.
Not sure what it’s like on alloys .

marte, Nov 28, 2:55pm
You want to use a decent brand product, something with a organic iron dissolving chemical in it. Iron reacts with the Alloy metal. & will embed into it, like it does with glass.
The ' Evapo-rust ' product has the organic chelating chemical in it, but you really want a product with this in it, plus the other cleaners/protectants.

I mean, phosphoric acid will dissolve Iron dust, but it won't do much good for the Alloy or it's coatings.

Liqui-moly wheel cleaner is a great product.
https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/nz/service/tips-and-topics/detail/news/simple-and-efficient-in-use-the-special-rim-cleaner-1190.html

cabrio1, Nov 28, 6:58pm
CRC wheel cleaner from supercheap.
Follow the instructions.
Works superb , use it sparingly to save cost.
Strips the brake dust no problem, no effort.
Correct product for the job saves hours of pissing about.

curlcrown, Oct 17, 8:47am
Can cause a lot of damage if applied incorrectly.