Recalibrate A Windscreen!

gazzat22, Aug 1, 4:24pm
Son in law has a nine months old NZ new Mazda CX5.On a trip a stone caused a large chip which apparently couldnt be "Novused" so he had to get a new screen.The company he went to(large NZ company with two identical names not Jones and jones but very similar) Took two weeks to replace it partly because apparently they" forgot" to order a new one!.When he collected the vehicle looked very nice but the Heads Up Display was Ghosting and unreadable.He took it back and their explanation was the new screen wasnt calibrated and not compatible so they said it would take until 10th August to replace/remedy it.According to the Dealers the HUD and the Collision Avoidance System are all integrated and a new screen has to be recalibrated!

tony9, Aug 1, 4:46pm
Not sure what your issue actually is.

This MAY help. https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/new-windshield-calibration-41528/

franc123, Aug 1, 4:51pm
? Nothing unusual about that. You will find that most of the issue with the HUD is because theyve fitted a cheap and nasty Chinese knockoff screen and not the genuine one from Mazda. Tell them to fit the correct one, stop wasting yours and their time with crap THEN worry about the front view camera calibration. You may be told by the Mazda agency to not waste their time either until the job is done right.

kazbanz, Aug 1, 4:57pm
THIS ^^^^^^^^ x10

cjohnw, Aug 1, 5:13pm
My insurance cover now includes an extra Windscreen replacement provision because the vehicle windscreen is calibrated for the Subaru Eyesight system and must be replaced with the correct factory windscreen.
Apparently this is now standard insurance procedure for these safety systems.

sw20, Aug 1, 7:08pm
Yep, it will be a cheap Chinese screen not the genuine one from Mazda.

bumfacingdown, Aug 1, 7:15pm
intrade warned us about windscreens with wires in them

gazzat22, Aug 1, 9:56pm
No issue whatever.!Just That i,ve never struck that before. Mind you I,ve never had to have windscreen replaced but as Franc says it was probably a cheap knock off one rather than an OE. and explains why some insurers are not including Windscreens in their policies and they have to be a separate cover/policy due to their increased cost.

gunhand, Aug 1, 10:16pm
Don't you just love modern tech. Replace ya battery and car won't work properly. Tail light blows and goes into limp mode or ya stereo stops. Lack of air pressure in ya tires and ya windows won't work. Loose ya key and replacement costs more than the car. Indicator bulb breaks and you can no longer select a gear. Car dies for no apparent reason on side of road, if you haven't got 6 nerds with laptops ya gotta call a towie, another $1000. Air con stops, new entire dash and components needed. Run out of fuel and ya fry the pump, computer and ya diff.
OK, some bollocks above, but not far off the mark.
Gotta love modern cars.

franc123, Aug 1, 10:49pm
In this case there wouldnt be a problem if the replacement windscreens were a quality product made to the right spec. but they're not. Glass suppliers and insurance co's want to import new replacement screens as cheap as possible and as long as they fit in the hole, don't leak and cause comebacks they couldnt give a toss about how good they are. It wasnt an issue. until now.

supernova2, Aug 2, 12:42am
What I don't understand is why would S & S fit such a crap screen when they know full well that they will be pulling it out next day to put in a proper one. What exactly are they trying to achieve? Where is the good business sense in doing a job twice for one fee and losing the cost of the1st scrap screen as well. Never mind the bad PR

intrade, Aug 2, 9:08am
you can only take it back and have them fix it correctly and if not tell them to take em to court and then you do so. The S place has replaced the windscreen wiper meachnism on a mercedes after he told the manager it goes to court if thy dont replace it with a new one as the teeth had been stipped and they are the only ones who did not tighten the wipers correctly. blaming it on last job was that was you also he said.

skull, Aug 2, 9:14am
intrade warns us about everything

3tomany, Aug 2, 10:12am
No one else needs to post as this says it all. +1

3tomany, Aug 2, 10:15am
I love all the tech in modern cars. What makes it even better, is cars are comparatively cheaper than they were 20 years ago.

sarahb5, Aug 2, 10:31am
And this is why I never take my car there for windscreen problems - our rear screen broke and the replacement took months to come, didn't fit properly and the rear wiper never worked again. No I did not take it to them to fix - I phoned my insurer and told them the issues, then told them I was taking it to the other place to fix and they paid the costs at the other place as well.

Insurance companies recommend S&S but you don’t have to accept their recommendation - they still pay and you get a better job at Suvon.

franc123, Aug 2, 11:25am
OMG not you too. I had to endure a similar scenario with a smashed rear screen on my car that took them months to sort out. Fortunately I had access to another car and covered storage while they sorted it. The story is really a bit long to relate here in detail, I sure as hell won"t be going back there ever again.

franc123, Aug 2, 12:24pm
Yep its complete BS. If your car gets damaged, insurance co's and repairers are supposed to be repairing it so it looks and functions as it did before the damage with uncompromised safety systems. What that costs and how its done is their problem, fitting substandard parts that compromise this should not happen.

kazbanz, Aug 2, 1:13pm
ACTUALLY--I beg to differ mate. That organisation are imo a bunch of cowboys and they have been using cheap glass for many years. Strange how a factory screen will last for years yet their replacements its one chp wonder.

gazzat22, Dec 13, 1:51pm
Actually as a footnote and contrary to what poster #2 intimated i didnt and dont have an issue.The vehicle belongs to my SIL and he insured it online with i think one of the IAG group which when he went to have it replaced he discovered that unless specified does not cover Windscreen and Glass so my post was to alert any one who looks on here to check their MV policy so they dont get caught out and have tp pay themselves.Cheers