Band extender or a replacement unit for car stereo

onlylv, Jul 22, 9:12pm
I have an old Panasonic unit I bought for my RVR and had it removed when I did a trade in for the Orthia about 5 years ago. It has been sitting in the garage since then. I'm not sure if it fits the width of the Fielder which has 3 channels, (Unable to to get it working), a cassette player and a cd player. What's the best option?

wayned, Jul 22, 9:25pm
Easiest option is to take it with you, call past an installer as ask how much to fit it (if you know it goes and you are happy with it).
They will know straight away if it will fit.
You may be surprised at cost, some are quite cheap.
They can also give you a price for a new installed unit.

Otherwise research some stereo wiring harness's and put it in yourself, the fielder shouldn't be to hard to get into.

Buy a band expander and put it in, there are different types and styles so some research in needed. You may need to remove stereo first to get the right one.

But if you aren't sure what you are doing, you can break things or fry things.

tamarillo, Jul 22, 9:29pm
Imo just buy a new one which are so cheap and will add Bluetooth. You’ll need to ascertain what size unit you have (maybe post picture) and get adapter plates and wires which are all available. Even if it’s a built in unit you can likely get an adaptor facia plate.
Plus band expanders don’t change the frequency read out and if you listen to radio a lot, especially out of town, aren’t as good as NZ stereo.

onlylv, Jul 29, 10:30am
Thanks Kaz. Hmmm,. might drive to you and get it fitted if I am stuck

onlylv, Jul 29, 10:31am
Might have to look into getting the latest unit. Ta

kazbanz, Dec 16, 5:57am
Feilders are universally "Toyota" double din. Regardless of how the radio is configured. Normal is "Toyota" double din head unit. (have a squizzy at the dash of one of the feilders at "that " dealer) But occasionally its a double din with side trims. VERY rarely they come with single din,side trims and pocket.