New car stereo issues - opinions?

extrayda, Jun 20, 3:51am
Hi all,
I recently bought a new but cheap (yes, chinese made) 7" DVD Car stereo from TM.When installed, it mainly worked fine, but got pixellation and some screen distortion at times (e.g. clearly visible within a few minutes of playing a DVD, and comes and goes), amongst a few other small issues that to be honest I wasn't incredibly worried about.I had a discussion with the seller, who aked me to check a few things, but still the same issues, so I sent it back to them.They got back to me saying that there were no issues, and wanted me to use their installer (who is about 50ks each way from where I live).I declined, and asked them to send back to me, where it is still displaying exactly the same faults.

extrayda, Jun 20, 3:53am
I seem to have three choices:
1/. Go to their installer, pay I expect about $100 and have the same issues.
2/. Go to another installer and get them to test it, and get back to the seller when it fails (I would expect this to cost me something, as can't expect the installer to do this for free).
3/. Give up and just install the unit myself, and put up with an average at best DVD picture.

extrayda, Jun 20, 3:55am
Note that the stereo is new, and I bought an ISO adapter for it, so there are no wiring issues / butchering involved.
The DVD does sometimes play fine for a while, and the CD etc all work fine with no issues.
The stereo is earthed via the ISO block, and I also had it indeoendatly earthed to make sure.
The unit was tested both with the car running (to make sure full voltage) and with the car not running (avoiding any engine based interference).

extrayda, Jun 20, 3:56am
Note that I don't want to 'name and shame' as the guy has so far been answering my emails, and not just telling me to get lost.
My issue is really that I don't want to waster further time and money to prove it is faulty, and then have to pay again to get a new unit installed.

What are your thoughts !

pandai, Jun 20, 3:58am
Sounds like the product is simply a POS

extrayda, Jun 20, 4:01am
It is a cheap(ish) product. But I would still expect it to work as advertised.I don't need or want to spend > $1000 to get a car DVD.I needed the screen for the reversing camera in the Van, otherwise would just have got a normal branded single din stereo.

extrayda, Jun 20, 4:14am
bump to get past the spammer.

jono2912, Jun 20, 1:44pm
Hey!

I think I know of the product your talking about, I've actually thought of buying one myself, but have never had experiences with them.

I suspect it could be an installation fault, which I could help with (free) if you wish to contact me, I'm sure you'll find out how.

If you still have troubles, I can hook you up with my supplier (not self promoting) who may be able to get you a similar screen as the ones I have.

fordcrzy, Jun 20, 9:01pm
maybe its getting too hot where you have it installed and thats causing thedegraded video quality.my panasonic HU would get too hot and i'd get crap sound quality.maybe installing a small computor fan under/over it may help.try runnig the dvd with it plugged in but not installed in the dash and see if it happens again.

extrayda, Jun 21, 6:45am
Thanks for that jono, will do.
Fordcrzy good suggestion, but I tested it before installing fully, where it was fully ventillated, and it does it very quickly, plus the CD sound etc and such plays well with no distortion, and the unit stays cool. Thanks.

divermark, Jun 21, 9:43am
See these a lot at work. return it and get the basic Sony model XAV-622($899) and have perfect sound and picture, with a three year warranty.
Or just a clip over LCD monitor/Mirror for $350.

extrayda, Jun 22, 1:02am
Seller isn't local, and hasn't outright refused anything, but I don't see how it can magically 'work fine' for him.It is an intermittent fault, but will happen every few minutes (5 at most), so not hard to check for.I feel I am getting the run around with it.I am reluctant to go out and spend maybe $100 with his preferred installer, as that then increases the cost by $100, and I am very confident that the issue will not then magically disappear. (plus the fact that his installer is miles away from me, and I would end up spending the nest part of a day travelling, waiting for the install, seeing it fail, then starting the whole process again.

I have almost decided to just install it as it is, and leave some feedback on him outlining the issues without being rude.

ginga4lyfe, Jun 22, 2:16am
whats the space like behind the stereo! Alot of them dont like heat, and those Dvd units can produce ALOT of it

extrayda, Jun 22, 3:32am
Reasonable space around it, and above it, probably 3 cm behind it, but can vent straight upwards.It does it when it isn't even in the dash though.It also only does it briefly (like for a second), then plays normally again for a while, then does the same thing again. Tried with several DVD's.Unit doesn't feel to be getting hot, CD player works and behaves fine, and screen works fine for OSD etc, just the DVD's are pixellated / wonky sometimes.

andrea_w, Jun 22, 7:46am
OP : I'd suggest the unit is buggered, plain and simple. Even if you pay some guy $100 to refit it, that won't make the problem go away. I can't see any way that issue is down to an installation fault.
You bought cheap sh*t, thats exactly what you got (no offence intended).
I'd be throwing it straight back at the seller and asking for a refund. Is the seller operating under a business! If so you have the CGA to protect you!
I'm on the Shore too, I don't mind having a quick look at it for you ($$ = FREE). I'm also an ex car audio installer so I'd have no issue telling the seller the unit has an internal fault if the seller wants an unbiased opinion.
There is no way you should be given the run around or need to spend money to sort this out due to some muppet who selling sub standard crap and can't admit it!

When asked, I never have and never will recommend buying cheap car audio gear. Some does last the distance, most doesn't. and the quality is well below that of any main stream brands. (quality = build, parts, performance etc)

jono2912, Jun 22, 10:11am
Sorry, OP, that I hadn't responded before now, Andrea has summed it all up really.

I'd take that offer up, if you're still uncertain what to do.

andrea_w, Jul 13, 7:09pm