Car Stereo install - HELP

johnf_456, Jul 3, 10:35pm
Nope, have you tried it on cd mode to eliminate it from the radio reception

johnf_456, Jul 3, 10:43pm
Try a 9v battery across the speaker terminals briefly do you get any sound.

andrea_w, Jul 3, 10:47pm
Check the speaker terminals/speaker wire isn't touching any part of the chassis. Having just installed it, I'd be looking behind the stereo first.
There is a way to test the speakers for shorts if you can't find anything wrong behind the stereo

andrea_w, Jul 3, 10:52pm
I assume you definitely have the correct wires connected!
Pink/Purple = Front left//Blue/Green = Front right etc

johnf_456, Jul 3, 10:52pm
Good luck!

carkitter, Jul 3, 10:56pm
Some jap import cars have an external amplifier mounted between the factory stereo and the speakers. Removing the factory stereo removes the power supply for the amp. The external amp is unnecessary anyway now that you have an amp built into whatever headunit you bought. Grab a spare speaker or remove one from a door and wire it direct to the new headunit bypassing the factory wiring to check if it solves the problem.

carkitter, Jul 3, 11:00pm
Don't do this while it's wired up to the headunit.

johnf_456, Jul 3, 11:04pm
Good point, I just assumed one would disconnect it first.

andrea_w, Aug 25, 12:54pm
carkitter : I considered a factory amp too. but I don't think the Surf came with one (its been a few years so my memory may not be serving me correctly)
But if the speakers and power wires were tested, it will be obvious there is an amp due to not being able to find speakers. Plus the wiring colours will be totally different to 'normal' Toyota stereo colours.