BMW 3 & 5 series tow ratings

charles.j, May 20, 7:17pm
Anyone have a BMW 3 or 5 series wagon? What is the max tow rating you get on the petrol models?

I can see a lot of different things online so I'm not actually sure what they are. I'm looking at getting a wagon with a 1.8T to 2T tow rating and they seem to fit in that range

tamarillo, May 21, 7:48am
Most 5’s get to 2000, certainly the tow bar on mine is rated for that. Don’t think older 3’s would, unsure about modern stuff but google can often help.

franc123, May 21, 7:56am
What model series/age are you looking at, what are you wanting to tow and where do you want to tow it? They wouldnt be my first choice of tow car for those sorts of weights on a regular basis, the autos in these Eurowagons can be pretty buttery.

gpg58, May 21, 12:28pm
I usually check AA site first for any i look at, does not always have what i want, but is a good start.

These towing weights are sourced from the New Vehicle Distributor’s spec sheets. They’re based on vehicles sold new in NZ - spec levels and recommendations may vary with used imports.
https://www.aa.co.nz/cars/owning-a-car/towing/towing-weights/bmw/

msigg, May 21, 12:30pm
Yes frank you are correct on the auto and very soft in the rear.

mrcat1, May 21, 4:49pm
I wouldnt take those as gospel, I just looked at my ute on there and it had it at 6100 approx, its actually rated at high 6900.

charles.j, May 22, 12:12pm
Will be towing a 5.8m fiberglass boat during the summer months. The tow weight is around 1.4T, fill with gear and fuel, probably closer to 1.7T

Was looking at the 2012 BMW wagons. The only other options I could see outside a ute were the falcons and commodores (which I don't mind either)

Appreciate the notes on the gearbox, I'll do a bit of reading on that!

martin11, May 22, 12:41pm
Got brakes on the boat trailer ?

gusthe1, May 22, 2:15pm
I tow a boat and caravan with my FG Falcon. But the factory towbar has a max rate of 1600kg braked. You may need some upgrades

tamarillo, May 22, 3:59pm
A 2012 has an 8 speed ZF gearbox, aint nothingwrong with that. Rated for 2000kg

charles.j, May 22, 10:19pm
Yea it will do

charles.j, May 22, 10:20pm
Have looked at all the ford falcons, they seem to be just over 2T braked?

charles.j, May 22, 10:20pm
Thanks, might be time for a test drive

franc123, May 22, 11:45pm
Only if optioned with the 2300kg towpack, which is rare. The vast majority have the standard 1600kg one. Territory is the same.

gusthe1, May 23, 9:55am
I would suggest a 2t towbar is quite rare. 2t is a big load to pull. You may need to spec one specifically. These days boats and caravans have got bigge. Modern suvs and utes are quite limited in what they can pull. Some combos at boat ramps scare me

martin11, Aug 4, 8:09pm
My Haines Signature 550c is 1270kg empty ,weighed on the scales at the transfer station . Put in all your gear and food for 2 adults for a week in a bach and 135 litres of fuel to weight goes up to 1735 kg . .