Worn valve lifters

mack77, Nov 13, 8:41pm
In a crdi single-ohc engine would worn valve lifters(cam followers) be likely to cause upper engine noise, regardless of engine speed? Am I correct to believe that "valve lifters" is just another name for "cam followers"?

budgel, Nov 13, 9:21pm
There should be some adjustment available. I think of cam followers as doing the same job as valve lifters which I have heard americans call them on pushrod engines.

A stethoscope or long screwdriver held to your ear may help define exactly where the noise is coming from.

cattleshed, Nov 13, 9:47pm
x1 stethoscope. Check oil level. You don't say what mmm (make, model and milage) which is helpful in assessing. Hydraulic or solid is also a question.

mack77, Nov 13, 10:06pm
2007 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 crdi D4EB engine with hydraulic valve lash adjusters; which of course have no manual adjustment; they "automatically self adjust.

cattleshed, Nov 13, 10:53pm

intrade, Nov 14, 9:47am
its wrong engine oil if the cam wears out the top of it, its why Vw specifically say to only use the vw manufacrer code that a oil meets. The next problem is the same engine needs another number if it has a dpf. because the dpf cant tolerate the goodies in the oil and has better bearings to cope with the lesser lube while its still enough = but you better change the oil 10,000km or once a year on a dpf one ,,
Quite extreme complex really what can cause massive problems.

intrade, Nov 14, 9:52am
a valve lifter would refere to a hydraulic one. As in the english language things almost always really mean what the word spells out.
valve- lifter its lifting the clearance of the valve. I sometimes dont understand how someone can only speak english and still dont understand words that describe Like in geman its a big nightmare where most stuff dont means what the word is telling .
staub-sauger a dust-sucker lol wtf is a dust sucker vacuum cleaner = precise description what it really does it cleans with a vacuum . never mind that a vacuum really dont exactly exists Thats another thing to know
a vacuum is really just a pressure difference.
or we would call hurricaines vacuum suckers. The pressure difference has emense powers.

cattleshed, Nov 14, 10:14am
Actually no. Valve lifter simply refers lifting the valve and historically in NZ these were always referred to as tappets. The method of lifting, strictly speaking, does not come into it until you introduce type eg solid, hydraulic.

franc123, Nov 14, 12:59pm
This gets even more amusing when dealing with shop manuals that have been translated from Japanese to English. I remember reference in a Nissan manual to a "tube compressor" for sealants. It turns out they meant a caulking gun for putting your sealant cartridge in. but then again what is clever about calling it a caulking gun? Those tools are used for applying many more things other than caulk.

mack77, Nov 14, 11:05pm
Thanks for all your helpful replies so far, but I still can't understand how worn valve lifters(cam followers) can cause upper engine noise no matter what the engine speed is.
My car has a CPF (catalized particulate filter) in the exhaust system, and I use oil with very low zinc; just as you would if you had a DPF.

tygertung, Nov 15, 6:37am
The tappets just get a bit tappy if there is too much clearance.

gazzat22, Nov 15, 10:22am
Mitsubishi used to add mbl8 to their noisy motors. at a price .I have used it and it does actually work but needs to be used at each oil change.

mack77, Nov 15, 12:53pm
But surely the hydraulic valve lash adjusters will compensate for any wear on the cam-followers; or do I misunderstand the operation of the valve lash adjusters?

kazbanz, Nov 15, 1:57pm
With nothing specific to go on. in my experience in the case of extreme wear no matter how the valves are adjusted you are going to get noise. this in in cases where the cam and cam follower have worn enough to cause a change in shape rather than just same profile but a fraction smaller

gunna-1, Nov 15, 3:40pm
Maby the cam has worn out, one engine i had the tappets set tighter than specification and it still rattled like a tin can, and worce when it was hot, with the original settings it sounded horrific, another camshaft and it was fixed, it was an old pushrod engine though, and it had a freshly ground cam put in out of another motor, no more noise.

strobo, Nov 16, 10:41am
If they are hydraulic more often than not getting the "good stuff" in there to free up sticky lifter problems and noise re the leak up and leak down will sort it out .If they are plain worn they are worn .nothing but fit new will fix it.

tygertung, Nov 16, 12:04pm
Try putting a litre of diesel or kerosine before an oil change.

Put into the oil filler cap, let it idle for 15 minutes and then drain the oil.

gunna-1, Nov 16, 12:17pm
Stuck lifters will tap loudly at idle and usually go away after a while, it will be a slow tapping sound rather than a teeth grinding rattle that stays throughout the rpm.

mack77, Nov 16, 10:29pm
Thanks for your comments, but what do you mean by "leak up and leak down will sort it out". Which parts do I need to replace to fix it; the "cam followers" or the hydraulic "valve lash adjusters"

strobo, Nov 17, 6:09am
Define if it's mechanical nose or injection noise ,"you say it's at the top end " .if your engine has hydraulic lifters use Proma mbl8 .BNT as a treatment to ensure good op of the lifters ,.I think what needs done is adjustment ie hydraulic lifters needing attention more than replacements of anything unless a knock sensor is faulty ?What kms it done?Lift the covers and inspect the top end if mbl8 had no effect on noise .check if cam belt is due too!

mack77, Oct 22, 10:14pm
Thanks for your comment "strobo".
Unfortunately hydraulic "valve lash adjusters" are not manually adjustable.
The engine has only done 265k km.
The Hyundai (Korea) Service Manual says: "worn valve lifters can cause upper engine noise, irrespective of engine speed." I think that the "valve lifters" are the cam followers, so rightly or wrongly, I have decided to replace them.
Thanks also to all the other people whom have made comments.