Rego query

suzgs750, Oct 18, 11:15am
I own a motorcycle which is registered as a 1983 model,on checking ownership papers it clearly states it came from Holland and was registered new in holland in 1981,Then arrived in NZ in 1983 so was registered in NZ 1983. why would it not state it is a 1981 as it is? anyone help with this query.

poppy62, Oct 18, 11:45am
The date of manufacture will be noted as 1981. The 1st registered date in NZ will show as 1983 It should also show that the motorbike was "used' when imported in. Quick check for you to determine this, is to have a look at the registration label on a cars windscreen (for example. you will note that up the top will be the make model and year and then to the right middle you'll see a date (for example ) 4/98 (April 1998) this is the date of the 1st time the vehicle had been registered in NZ. This mainly applies to imported vehicles and is a quick visual check to verify the vehicles authenticity. So after all that if you were to re-register the motorbike the Rego label will display M/bike?1981, 1st reg ?/83.

nzmax, Oct 18, 11:49am
Probably a mistake when either registered initally, or when the registration data was computerised in the mid 90's. Have seen it with cars also.

ignoramus1, Nov 4, 10:46pm
i mess around with classic bikes so have some idea. Thing is once a bike is 40 years old or more u get vintage rego costs eg one of my bikes costs around $60 per year to register.

you can get the year corrected but OMG it is a real procedure . u need to use frame numbers get a certificate from vintage car club manufacturer etc . go through all the red tape of which there is a *hit load with ltsa. it can be done but what a circus it is

apart from the obvious advantage of cheaper rejo it hardly seems worth the effort . getting the authorities to change their mistake is a fugging mine field. i looked into it with one of mine but it ended up in the too hard basket . it doesnt make any difference to how the bike goes ya know