Rav4 vs X-Trail 19/20

nev48, Aug 18, 4:29pm
Hi

recommendations of Rav4 GXL AWD (new shape) or Xt-Trail ST-L?

kazbanz, Aug 18, 4:32pm
Whats it being used for? -the x trail is a more "serious" off road use vehicle the rav is in essence a tall car that's awd.

tamarillo, Aug 18, 4:34pm
As a car the rav 4 is new and beats dayLights out of x trail.
Not so if you want to do any proper off road work.

nev48, Aug 18, 4:39pm
every day use, occasional mountain/ski fields and light towing

nev48, Aug 18, 4:44pm
weary of the CVT reputation - I see the Rav4 is 8 speed auto so that is the way Im leaning unless otherwise convinced?

vtecintegra, Aug 18, 4:45pm
Eh? They're both tall cars and are both very far from 'serious off-roaders'

The Nissan is a much older design so it doesn't make sense to buy a new or near new example unless you can get it really cheap

tamarillo, Aug 18, 5:02pm
For your use the rav4 is newer better design, and yes has lovely conventional 8 speed auto.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 5:08pm
Without hesitation then I'd suggest the Toyota.

msigg, Aug 18, 5:08pm
Yes RAV4 is the best, The xtrail won't have the longevity of the RAV, both will do what you want, these will do farm paddocks and the like, towing I would stick with the RAV.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 5:11pm
For "dirty" use the x trail is a better option in my opinion--Not saying the BEST option just the x trail is a bit better off road given only the two choices. In THIS case the rav is all round a better vehicle.

korban, Aug 18, 5:13pm
We tested a new Rav4 Hybrid - did not like the ride at all; now looking at the Mazda CX5 or Subaru Forester

vtecintegra, Aug 18, 5:23pm
That's not how your first post read (and even then I'd argue there is bugger all difference between the two offroad)

nev48, Aug 18, 5:33pm
Interesting! I wasn’t the biggest outlander fan, like the CX5 but want more boot space

kazbanz, Aug 18, 5:37pm
ain't it great that we still live in a democracy where we can freely offer our own opinion based on our experience. I feel the x trail is a better option of the two if used offroad. Still a softroader rather than a tall car with awd

bagal, Aug 18, 7:52pm
X Trail a more "serious" off road vehicle? If it is, its by a small margin. Subaru Forester is the most "serious" in that class of car, by a small margin again.

s_nz, Aug 19, 3:24pm
I haven't been in either, but would take the Rav4.

Nissan as a brand is not as good as what it was in past decades etc. And the X-trail model is fairly dated (dates back to 2013).

By comparison the new shape Rav4 is a recently released model, meaning it benefits from more current styling and recent engineering with regards to things like safety and fuel efficiency. Also means it is likely to depreciate less as the shape won't be replaced so quickly.

Also the Rav4 is much more common, meaning it will be eaisier to say get a window or mirror replaced if you ever require it.

Should note that the RAV4 GXL AWD is substantially more fuel effichent (6.7L/100km combined cycle vs 8.3L/100km) and powerful (152kW vs 126kW).

If you are going to go the Rav4 route, look seriously at the hybrid. 81% of Rav4 sales in July were for the hybrid variant. Price premium is $3000, and it is both slightly more powerful (163kw vs 152kW), and substantially more economical (4.8L/100km on the combined cycle, compared to 6.7L/100km). At a fuel saving of 1.9l/100km, and $2.20 91octane petrol, the $3000 extra purchase price will be paid back in fuel savings after 72,000km, under 5 years of typical use. 1500kg tow rating is the same on both versions.

Don't be put off by the CVT in toyota hybrids. This works in a comply different way and is not reliant on a frictional belt like most other CVT's. It is highly regarded for reliability and I find the same setup in my lexus hybrid SUV very nice to drive.

Both the hybrid & non hybrid have 55L fuel tanks, so the hybrid gets a lot longer range (1145km vs 820km), saving you petrol station visits.

Main other competitors to consider are the Mazda CX-5, Misti Outlander (although this is a bit bigger car), Subaru Forester & Kia Sportage.

Pritty much this. They are all crossovers based on car platforms.

Ground clearance is a key off road ability pameter and the Rav4 is 195mm, the X-trail is 210mm, and the Forester is 220mm. There is a difference, but it is fairly small. The latter cars market off road ability a bit more, and have AWD systems that do a little better in off road situations.

Should note that the Rav4 has the "adventure" trim, which has a touch more ground clearance, and various features focused at the market that values light off roading ability.

But yeah, these car's don't pretend to be comparable to the likes for the Toyota fortuner, with it's part time 4x4 system, 279mm of ground clearnace (between axles), 700mm advertised maximum wading depth & rear differential lock.

nev48, Aug 19, 3:39pm
Thanks s_nz! Very helpful!

I haven’t looked at the outlander due to only being 2.4L - wanted something at least 2.4L but perhaps I should look into them

s_nz, Dec 4, 3:19pm
Don't get too hung up on small differences in engine displacement.

The engine in the 2.4L petrol outlander has a peak power of 126kW, exactly the same as the 2.5L X-trail. I think the Plug in Hybrid version of the out lander is a little more powerful again (including the dual electric motors).

Outlander is a great value offering, being a little bigger (and often cheaper) than it's peers like the RAV4. I think all variants other than the Plug in Hybrid are 7 seaters these days. havn't been in the current outlander, but would expect the likes of the CX-5 & Rav4 are a bit nicer.