Used NZ New Toyota Corolla - Any particular year?

kiwi-anna91, Oct 26, 1:51pm
Used NZ New Toyota Corolla - Is there any particular year which is best or a no no?

I’ve had a headache with cars in the past. My first ever car was a 90s corolla hatchback which was a dream and never any issues. Sadly, T boned and written off.

My current car I’ve had on going issues but before that was looking at a Toyota again but more your 1.6L+ as I need something with guts. I want to easily do road trips (since international travel is out for a while. ) and know I can zip along.

I’ve been looking at Toyota Corolla hatchbacks, years 2008 - 2010 seem to be around the 9k mark for something around your 100km. Is there any particular year that is known for a common issue, or expensive to service? I see there is a mixture of cam or chain, does that really matter?

I’m wanting to avoid imports, and 1.3L.

kazbanz, Oct 26, 2:02pm
Ok First of all Given you are talking "corolla" hatch back then there really are three names. Corolla which comes as a 1.5 or a 1.8 Auris is the jap import name. They also come as 1.5 or 1.8 . One other variation is the Toyota Blade which is effectively a corolla/auris with a bigger engine (2
.4 or 3.5l) Its not quite that simple with the Blade but the differences are petrol head stuff. They are all bullet proof. They ALL have chain drive engines. ie no cam belts.
I wouldn't rule out the 1500cc until you personally drive one. You might well be really happy with it.
The only comment I would make is that some folks have reported oil use in the 2.4 blade between services. Otherwise the only issue is that the jap imports need kiwi radios fitted and some have a lower spec with safety equipment.--so two rather than ten air bags for example
Ohh and corollas in that age range are mechanically the same vehicle.--ie 2008 is same mechanicals as 2010-they changed in 2006/2007 and didn't change again till 2012

sw20, Oct 26, 3:07pm
Sold my Blade Master G with 135km for $9k last month. Not NZ New though because they were Japan only.

Just get the latest model, lowest mileage 1.8 litre GX or GLX you can afford. Plenty of ex rentals for sale have suppressed the price at the moment.

intrade, Oct 26, 3:18pm
biggest problem is That the typical toyota owner does not service the car because they dont brake down if you never service it . That was true for the 1980s and 90s model.
The problem now is that they are all neglected worn out rusted poo-fighters. while it was back then good to have nz new meaning the odometer would not have been wound back.
Now it is a extreem bad thing. And you are better off with a fresh import because japan will have emission laws enforced and non serviced cars wont pass emissions , therefore the imports are more likely serviced then NZ new .
in 1990s i used to do a loads of tailpipe emission testing and we always needed brand new aircleaners. and japanese cars still almost always failed on idle target rpm not reached during testing.

msigg, Oct 26, 5:22pm
Make sure you get the 1800cc, any corolla hatch will do, otherwise the corolla fielder is a good option with the 1800cc, the fielder is an import corolla wagon if you like those, same mechanicals, all very reliable, just buy the best one you can afford and no worries, service once a year and good to go to 300k.

lythande1, Oct 26, 5:43pm
That's not true.
My son had one that did 428000, motor still great not using any oil or water. The rest though started to need work, clutch, gearbox, suspension arms, and such. Shocks. got to be uneconomical to fix.
We have always had 20 yr old cars, mostly Toyota and always serviced them. The zippiest I had was a Sprinter. It was also the shabbiest looking, not battered but it had paint leprosy.
They are not all worn out and rusty thats for sure.

franc123, Oct 26, 8:22pm
Just ignore it I dont know where he gets this idea that Corollas are rust prone, one that's 20+ yo and been in a marine environment for a fair chunk of its life might be but not otherwise. The last Corolla I failed for a WoF was because of lard head windscreen fitters doing a great job of removing urethane from the screen aperture and leaving bare metal behind which eventually caused rust in the A pillars.

inatiz, Oct 27, 12:18am
Be aware that the imported Auris may only have 2 front airbags whereas NZ new have many more, if that is important to you.

kazbanz, Oct 27, 10:40am
MAY is the significant word there.

buyit59, Oct 27, 1:02pm
Don't write off the smaller engines . I have a 2013 Corolla s/w 1.5 and NZ new . I can exceed the speed limit without any struggling . The NZ new Corolla until 2012/3 in 1.8 will have standard auto but 1.5 like mine is CVT - more economical in CVT but takes a bit of time to get used to them .
Kaz ( #9) is correct about airbags - not all imports are the same and may haveheaps of airbags or just 2 .

bazfan, Oct 30, 7:34pm
Brilliant car! I just bought a 2010 NZ new GX 145K on it for under $6k.

What I found:
- Most Auris 1.8s have a CVT transmission, this has to be serviced from
60k and every 30k after that. I also found the CVT to
be less zippy than the 4spd auto but the benefit is the better fuel efficiency
- Hard to find import Auris with more than 2 airbags and also 2 keys. Some Auris have a prox key which is really handy but if you only have one it can cost $400+ for a spare. On the other hand import Auris often have spotlights, alloys and Xenon lights
- Post 2010 GX NZ new Corollas get curtain airbags and traction control which is a much better safety package vs pre 2010

hkjoe, Oct 30, 9:10pm
Paint leprosy. Never heard that term, but know exactly what you're talking about. Made me laugh. (no disrespect to actual lepers of course)
I've often wondered what causes that, as it seems relatively uncommon. Sometimes is just the clearcoat peeling off.

hkjoe, Oct 30, 9:11pm
Lard head windscreen fitters. Two laughs in one night. Please stop

richardmayes, Nov 2, 3:30pm
My employer had one of these as an office run about/ site visit car. 1.8 litre manual.

It warped a brake disc at around 70,000km and the engine started burning oil at about 90,000km. There was a bit of a tell-tale dark smoke sheen on the bumper around the exhaust pipe, and the oil level used to go down gradually of course.

Other than those issues, it seemed like a nice well-made thing.

smoth_007, Nov 26, 7:12pm
I have 2 - 2008 and 2010 NZ New hatchback

I have never had an issue on either except for wear and tear. Happy to answer any question.

kiwi-anna91, Nov 29, 9:07pm
Thanks for all the input! I ended up buying a 2010 Toyota Corolla, NZ New at 103,000km. And so far so good!

msigg, Oct 16, 5:09pm
Good on ya Kiwi-anna91, you will never look back, that car can do 400k easy if serviced.