Weight ute deck or wellside - which is heavier?

supernova2, Feb 18, 1:20pm
Just looking for guesses - educated or otherwise. I know its a "how long is the string" question.
Standard ply tray with steel headboard, c section steel sides and tailgate as opposed to the standard factory wellside unit. Nothing flash - D22 Navara
Which would be the heavier?
I'm thinking there wouldn't be much difference and if anything the ply might be the heavy one on a wet day.

s_nz, Feb 18, 1:36pm
Depends on the flat-deck it seems.

Compared the kerb weight of a double cab wellside vs cab chassies hilux, and the difference is 90 - 120kg (Min - Max). So I would guess the wellside & tailgate is in that range.

An Alloy tray can be as light as 60kg:

http://www.carryboy.co.nz/aluminium-trays/ But a very solid steel deck can be 200kg: https://www.utemaster.co.nz/our-products/trade-and-recreatio
n/steel-ute-deck/

Personally don't kike the look of that steel deck - design seems to elevate the load 50mm more than is needed.

supernova2, Feb 18, 2:26pm
Problem with trying to compare on ute manufacturer sites is that they never seem to make true equivalents. Cab chassis models often single cab, 2WD, smaller engine manuals and the wellside models are double cab 4WD auto big engine show machines. As an aside why would the average tradie want to be able to carry 5 people and no gear and materials? Beyond me!

As for that utemaster item it might look ok on a Unimog, or maybe a Mahindra, but ugly as on anything else. Biggest laugh is they say the headboard is solid 100mm steel. By my rough calculations the headboard panel would weight around 900kg. So add in the rest of the assembly and oops over the weight limit empty.

evotime, Feb 18, 4:28pm
Well sides seemed heavier when helping the apprentice lift them off to swap on a flat deck, totally unscientific of course

s_nz, Sep 12, 7:00pm
My comparison was based on the Hilux SR manual 4wd 2.8D double cab. So the general spec is match, no idea if minor trim is different. I cherry-picked a variation available in both wellside and cab chassis. No idea why there is 30kg more variation between the Min and max weights than can be explaned by the weight of the wellside.

Yeah, they have goofed with the description of that head board. Fair assumption that is box section rather than a cut out from 100mm plate.

Even so, having such a thick headboard cuts pushes the load further back, and the overhang over the rear axle looks like it is getting a bit excessive. (in addition to the bed being higher than it needs to be, making loading harder)