Nissan qashqai

leogets, Aug 23, 10:31am
Hi, I have 2010 qashqai with 220000 ks. The engine light has come on again after getting a service and 4 new spark plugs as advised by garage.Still drives great. Any advice please

franc123, Aug 23, 10:36am
Were you told why it came on in the first place?

leogets, Aug 23, 11:00am
They didn't know but tests showed nothing. They reccomended the spark plugs

franc123, Aug 23, 11:47am
Check engine lights dont come on for no reason, it has to have triggered a fault code and a reason why they recommended what they did. If they recommended a plug change it suggests the code was related either to air/fuel ratio sensor function or catalyst efficiency, which is commonly related to worn plugs. They need to rescan it for you, if you dont get a satisfactory answer, go see a Nissan agent.

sw20, Aug 23, 11:49am
I hope you didn't pay them real money for their non diagnosis.

leogets, Aug 23, 1:02pm
$60 for diagnostic scanner. Trouble codes P0420-TW Catalyst sys-B1 and $295 for 4 plugs

franc123, Aug 23, 1:16pm
OK well what has to happen now is a rescan and a look at what's known as freeze data to find out why the code was triggered, and if it is in fact the same code. It wasnt unreasonable to suggest a plug change for that code.

kazbanz, Aug 23, 4:19pm
have you been doing a lot of short trips lately?

leogets, Aug 24, 9:32am
yes not more than 10ks and once a week 130ks

kazbanz, Aug 24, 9:49am
My gut feeling is that the sensor in your ?by your catalytic converter is gunged up. Replace that and all will be fine.
Please though.--that's just my opinion based on experience with zero diagnostic work done.

leogets, Aug 25, 8:20am
thanks, got car booked in for thursday

sw20, Aug 25, 7:01pm
Probably Iridium plated. Retail price + mark up from workshop. For and inline four cylinder with easy access to spark plugs I'd just use NGK/Denso copper plugs at $4-$6 each.

leogets, Dec 1, 12:42am
Hi, Nissan plugs are $41 each according to my bill