Headlight bulb replacement

smoth_007, Nov 26, 7:02pm
Can I replace an halogen lightbulb with a LED version? (is it legal?)

2008 Toyota Corolla NZ New. The bulb that died is a H11 12V 55W.
I also notice it's not the stock one, it's a Repco one. Other one is stock, (I think)

If you could also reccomend a brand, that would be great. Thanks.

gpg58, Nov 26, 7:29pm
Reasons for rejection-

19. A headlamp is retrofitted with a type of light source other than that specified by the vehicle manufacturer or the headlamp manufacturer (eg a headlamp designed for a halogen bulb is fitted with any other type of light source such as an HID or LED bulb, or any other light source such as LED strips or non-OEM angel eyes) (Note 8).

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting/headlamps

s_nz, Nov 26, 8:08pm
As above, Only way to retrofit LED headlights to a vehicle is to swap out the entire headlight units for LED ones. This is generally not viable unless higher specs of the car came with LED headlights, and you can source some cheap ones from a crashed car, or if the vehicle uses standard sized headlights (i.e. Jeep wrangler (7" Round?)).

So replacing the bulb is the only viable option.

Best practice is to replace in pairs, but if not, you need the new bulb to match (output, colour tone etc) the other side.

In short headlight bulbs run on a spectrum from Long life, to standard, to High brightness. The latter comes at the expensive of bulb life. +150% bulbs with typically last less than 200 hours, so expect to replace them annualy if you go that route.

Can't really comment on brands, but there are offshore sites that have reviewed them at length.

Also if you touch the glass, the bulbs will burn out in a week or two. Wear gloves.

marte, Nov 26, 8:27pm
Can you have a normal headlight on one side & a Halogen on the other?
I mean one with a filiment on one side & the others a vapour arc halide sort.

smoth_007, Nov 26, 8:48pm
Thanks - thought so.

Looking at the Philips range.

s_nz, Oct 18, 9:18pm
Seem fairly reputable, just be aware their Diamond Vision (Blue/white light) gives up a lot of brightness relative to stock.

https://www.bulbfacts.com/halogen-bulbs/chart/

Just a question if you want to go with their standard bulb with a 1508 hr life, or one of their brighter (max 20% brighter) bulbs with a life of 480 - 800 hours.