Sharp increase in insurance premiums

jojo76, Nov 12, 1:25pm
Got my annual renewal today for my wee swift, premiums have gone up 20 odd % from a little over $500 to $700.
This is with tower anyone else notice a big jump? I’ve done a few quotes this morning all roughly the same, Just not sure what such a big jump.
I will email them as well and ask as well, but thought I’d Akron here as well

gpg58, Nov 12, 3:40pm
Make sure your insured sum, reflects what it would really sell for privately, as they will not pay any more than that anyway(market value).
They have a habit of keeping insured sums as high as possible, simply so they can charge more.
ps, my 2020 holden spark at $19.5k is 538/year, and the 2020 astra rsv at $35.5k is 761/year, both 6 months ago, so yes yours does seem high for a swift?

flagheaven, Nov 12, 3:45pm
thats actually a 40% increase- does seem a lot

familiadude1, Nov 12, 6:54pm
I noticed tower quite expensive to insure our vehicles. So took our vehicles, home and contents to state and was cheaper all round plus have agreed value on the vehicles also

cattleshed, Nov 12, 7:38pm
Expect prices to generally skyrocket as they are written off more often now due to complexity of design etc. Just consider for a moment the tech that is going into headlights, windscreens and the crazy number of airbags for starters! I would expect EV and PHEV to be as bad or worse premium wise.

monaro17, Nov 12, 9:16pm
I found the COMPLETE opposite.
I changed from State to Tower. I got home and three times the level of contents cover PLUS comprehensive on a car for all up for $300 less per year than what I was paying with state for just home/contents.

And speaking to other friends and family, State are more often than not the most expensive

Not to mention I have no conditions on my car insurance unlike the age restriction and additional excess imposed by State. Note I have zero history of claims.

franc123, Nov 13, 12:54am
Word is on the street that insurance co's are getting a little toey about having to use genuine windscreens in the event of glass claims on late model cars with cameras, FCA and LDW etc. The chinese aftermarket junk being imported and fitted by the companies doing this work whose staff are a little GREEN on the subject are dealing with plenty of comebacks and dissatisfaction, there isnt accurate enough information re what safety features are fitted to what vehicles when taking out policies. Tough titty, the stuff is either manufactured to the correct spec or it's not and if not it isnt commercially acceptable.

bryshaw, Nov 13, 6:42pm
$1500 for a high tech screen pretty much cancels out the premium so you can't blame the companies for screaming. If I had a sophisticated screen I would be happy to pay a $100 excess each claim.

3tomany, Nov 13, 9:59pm
I would get quotes to check you are not getting shafted but it could be a swift problem as the body in a swift can be written off in a 10kmh crash so the premium may be in respect o the risk.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/crash-tests-uncover-bumper-failings/7DCHHTGCNRNYI2PQSBTS7ZC4LY/

framtech, Nov 13, 10:33pm
yep I had novus tell me they couldn't get a factory screen, so I rang FMG my insurer and immediately the correct factory screen was found and fitted with a factory rubber seal, don't take crap from these companies, they fit cheap screens and pocket the difference, demand factory and insure for the same. Also demand that a cert is issued by the screen fitter that the wipers arms have been refitted correctly and to factory touque, On one vehicle the wiper came loose and did hundreds of dollars damage to the trim and stripped out the arm, on my new truck, the cast wiper arm shattered during use(over tightened), flew forward, bounded on the road and took out the radiator cost thousands!

franc123, Nov 14, 1:30am
Absolutely correct. All these items are safety equipment and have to be up to the correct spec and installed properly.

pauldw, Nov 14, 8:55am
Car insurance isn't a big money spinner to start with. Apparently 70% of premiums go out in claims. If the new technology is any good the cars with it should be having fewer claims and saving money.

toenail, Nov 14, 9:46am
Yep swifts and mirages are snowflakes and can't withstand low speed impacts <8km/h without structural damage.

I am not surprised that the smart insurers are not raising them premium on those cars.

franc123, Nov 14, 10:08am
Not sure what the relevance of that was. Windscreen replacements are needed because of external damage, not because of failed technology. Insurance cos have an obligation to restore your vehicle to the state it was in prior to the damage, if a cheap replacement doesnt do that then they need to be ensuring their service providers are fitting the right parts in their place.

jojo76, Nov 18, 4:58pm
Hi again, just clarifying it is $700 pa and only insured for $12200.
I messaged them today and they waffled on about the amount of claims I’ve had - zero. The car being popular for thief’s - not sure, is it? And the rising costs of panel beaters. No real clear explanation, they did offer to put up my excess to reduce the premiums. No thanks.

martin11, Nov 19, 8:07am
Easy fix just have car witout a windscreen and then you do not need wipers /washers . Save money

3tomany, Nov 19, 9:19am
The premium will be consistent with the claims cost to the insurance company of that particular car. Be it theft, repair cost etc.

sanders4, Oct 22, 2:59pm
I have all my insurance covers with AA, AMI for years , then Tower, 10 minutes on the phone is worthwhile to get 3 quotes, and the cheapest may not be the best so compare excess etc.