Reliable alternative to retail radiator flush

mrfxit, Dec 24, 3:06pm
Looking ideas on tried & true alternative radiator flush fluids.
Will be putting a retail flush through before new anti freeze, but have a lot of oil type mess to clear from the system from previous owners screw ups.

intrade, Dec 24, 3:08pm
What did you buy now lol.

franc123, Dec 24, 3:21pm
Please dont say you've bought another slow Jap head cracky diesel.🤯🤮💩

mrfxit, Dec 24, 3:30pm
LOL, not this time.
Son's GMH-404.
Getting it ready for sale.
Gearbox & motor have been replaced separately in recent years by his mates & while servicable, it's not really salable in it's current condition

mrfxit, Dec 24, 3:31pm
The ol Surf did very well for the 5 years I had it.
Never had any issues like that with it.

mrcat1, Dec 24, 8:19pm
A 1/4 cup at the very most of washing powder, dont drive it, just idle for 15-20 minutes.
Then thoroughly flush it out.

marte, Dec 24, 9:07pm
I used dishwasher tablets & dishwasher cleaner on my car that blew a oil cooler.
On the theory that dishwashers have to lift residue & clean grease off plates while not attacking rubber, copper, brass, aluminium or stainless steel.
It worked.
And it's designed to not foam up.
It took several, actually a bunch of washes & I washed the resiviour seperately.
I found the high-pressure spray at a car wash did a better job of the resiviour than anything else, probably do a good job of the radiator too.

I still got a very small amount of that clay looking gunk in my resiviour but I could wipe it out with a finger.

mechnificent, Dec 24, 9:21pm
Yeah give it a couple of flushes and runs and let it stand between times so the oil rises to the top and comes out of the radiator, then some sort of soap or tergosol. but the dishwasher stuff sounds quite good. I've used workshop detergent before but it foams up badly.

franc123, Dec 25, 12:45pm
I think that's pretty sound, I will try that myself one day if I get the opportunity.

marte, Dec 25, 7:46pm
'Simple Green' general purpose cleaner should work too.

evotime, Dec 27, 12:42am
Yeah we generally used simple green in the workshop for oil ingress in the coolant, oil cooler failures etc.
dishwasher soap does seem like it makes sense though

sr2, Dec 27, 9:42am
Makes a huge of sense to me.
I've been using dish detergent to clean the bilges in the engine bay on my boat; it works ok but the foaming when I wet-vac the suds out afterwards is a PIA to say the least. I'll give dishwasher liquid a try.

intrade, Dec 27, 9:57am
dishwas liquid is complete different to dishwasher tablets. be carfull with dishwas liquid it turns any oil to solids .
it be what i would pure in all the bulldozers engines mowing down the rain forrest. oil will turn to solids the end comes quite quickly .

mechnificent, Oct 5, 10:53am
Ha Intrade, if you want to screw those bulldozers just slip a bit of roundup into their oil drums and they will do the sabotaging for you. It looks like oil, but locks motors up as soon as it gets warm and they throttle off for the first time. haha. Then if you want a cheap bulldozer you buy it and fill the motor right to the top with water, wait an hour and drain it, do it again and then turn the motor by hand and it all comes free and just needs an oil change to be as good as new.
And no, I don't sabotage motors, but I figured out why a local farmer vehicles had all seized in the same day.
Pulled the first one apart and saw it wasn't damaged at all, just glued solid with some sort of water soluble glue. Told him and he went and looked in his shed and found the roundup bottle on the shelf right next to the oil bottle and guessed he must have grabbed it in the early morning light when he was doing the weekly oil top ups on the cars and machinery. Washed the other motors out undismantled and they all ran for years.