What is my Next Step to getting my Motorbike VIN?

Page 1 / 2
desmodave, Jan 15, 8:18am
How you getting on with ya bike . Dropped mind off at the certifier on Tuesday . My Ducs have always got me there and back . Heres a pic of last weeks Aprilia excitement , After a ride over the bluffs and back , was lining up my last favorite bend before home . Then deathly silence ( apart from tyre screeching )
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1468581038.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1468581391.jpg
Bit slow on the clutch eh Kaz . Try to consciously have it covered to .

kazbanz, Jan 15, 9:17am
So what happened? Surely not a seize?
Ya need to have a season racing old school two strokes :-) thatll teach ya to cover the clutch

desmodave, Jan 15, 10:53am
Haven't bothered opening it up yet , but i am guessing so . surprisingly not long after it started and idled fine , but there will be damage . Will be a rainy day job :-)

kazbanz, Jan 15, 1:51pm
That doesn't sound like a top end seize.-More like something jammed in the gearbox etc.

desmodave, Jan 15, 4:00pm
Would have been changing down about there to . Haven't looked at the bike at all , was in fun mode then everything changed in a split second as it does .

trogedon, Jan 17, 11:00am
Eek, that's terrible! At least you stayed upright. I hope you can trace the (minor) fault and get it sorted. Cool bike btw.

desmodave, Feb 14, 7:24am
Brake line to reservoir on rear brake slightly to long after fitting rear sets and also felt a tad soft . i reckon it creased enough to block fluid flowing . Replaced it and all seems to be working as it should . Haven't been for an over the bluff dash yet though , to many road works with 15 min delays

desmodave, Feb 14, 7:34am
Hows ya bike coming along Troge , got word yesterday that my cert is ready to pick up .

kazbanz, Feb 14, 9:34am
That's good news/scarey news.

trogedon, Feb 15, 1:10pm
Good news on yours. Thanks for asking - I got the VTNZ cert. check sheet
done and have rung the guy who can certify it. Unfortunately I've not been
able to get it to him yet.

kazbanz, Feb 15, 3:56pm
Have you "quarantined" the bike?
Or has Bob quarantined it?
By doing so the Recompliance doesn't expire
A vehicle that has undergone repair certification may be held in quarantine by an Transport Agency-appointed repair certifier for up to 3 months. When the vehicle is re-presented the repair certifier must supply the entry certifier the LT308, with the dates, mileage, reasons why the vehicle entered quarantine and the location of the quarantine.

The entry certifier must inspect the vehicle to ensure that any other necessary items have been rectified before completing the remainder of the entry certification process. The inspection needs to be equivalent to an in-service fitness inspection.

desmodave, Feb 15, 4:48pm
I don't think i will be in a hurry to do it again , i live to far away from the city .Interesting exercise all the same but will have to try harder at not looking at bikes . While the f800 was over in Chch i just happened to win another damaged bike . 2002 F650gs this time for $1 a cc , has the all to common fork fail with the axle mount braking away at the bottom of the leg . Front wheel partly collapsed in the process rider was quite knocked about . Going to fix that problem by fitting a yzf450 front end and a few other bits and bobs . Will just be a bit of a play bike , not bothered going down the re registering act .Towing place owner was quick to remove the plate off this 1 before i could get it on my trailer . I did try saying hey , i bought that with the rest of the bike , he looked sorry but said he had to . Was worth a go . No recall on that fork problem from bmw either .They could sell me a new fork leg for $1300 odd though if that helps . Later on that model year got redesigned forks with more meat around the axle location . Like why was that BMW

trogedon, Dec 17, 6:06pm
I've had the VTNZ certification check sheet done and it passed ok. It included the brake declaration (done) and proof of ownership (done). The guy there talked about me arranging a certifier next. I'm not sure what he means. Any one know and can clarify for me?

m16d, Dec 17, 6:17pm
The only bike I've had to revin was my CBX that I bought out of a bike collection, it hadn't been run for many years. it didn't have a plate on it but I did have the number.
Done by VTNZ on the spot. like new vin number,. new plate and wof, and put back in the system.
Is yours modified or not standard in some way.

trogedon, Dec 17, 6:57pm
You did well. Mine is standard but they say they need to have a certifier check it out. I did another bike some years ago and it didn't need to be done but things have changed (for the worse!). Going to VTNZ and ordering / getting the plate and paying for rego is the easy part.

kazbanz, Dec 17, 8:28pm
Bob kistermire is the guy

desmodave, Dec 18, 1:02pm
Is the bike listed as being written off . May be the reason they want a certifier to make sure everything measures up to spec . Why did you not ask they . for a full explanation like . A phone call to NZTA may help clarify what is required .
What is it .

sandypheet, Dec 18, 2:48pm
Was it an insurance right off, if so then a repair certifier needs to be involved unless the insurance company provides a statement that it was cosmetic damage and not structural.

kazbanz, Dec 18, 5:19pm
Troggie -come see me. There must be something on the compliance sheet that explains the why it needs to have an engineer look at it. From memory you tidied it up -removing hooks and stuff like that . And I think you did a frame swap didn't you? Bring the sheet in and I'll decipher it for you Bob Kistemaker up in Kumeu is the only local guy now for bikes

trogedon, Dec 18, 5:35pm
This is a bike I've bought recently though you have a good memory of my SR500. There is nothing on the one sided sheet. Thanks for the offer. I'll see them again though they're not great communicators!

trogedon, Dec 18, 5:36pm
It seems to be that way!

trogedon, Dec 18, 5:38pm
It's a Suzuki SV650 - a V-twin obviously. Not a Ducati but close enough!

kazbanz, Dec 18, 7:47pm
If that's the case then yea the bike needs to be measured up for straight and all dimensions correct according to Suzuki.
I would triple check that the steering stops are still in place.--a common issue with written off SV 650's. make sure your back wheel isn't cockeyed in the swingarm. Check that the back wheel is DIRECTLY behind the front. Ie rear is usually a 150/70/17 front a 120/70/17 so you want 15mm of rear tyre either side of the front. if its a 160 rear then 20 either side.
Incidently is a the carbied/round frame or injected square frame?
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1454823391.jpg

trogedon, Dec 18, 10:07pm
My motorbike mechanic has checked wheels alignment and clearance out and it still rides well ;-) He's not checked it to Suzuki specs.
It's a 2004 square frame / injected.

desmodave, Dec 19, 7:03am
There is a Honda Grom in the garage ( keep that Quiet though eh ) I will have to do the same exercise next year with the bmw f800st i bought a few weeks back . Runs and rides perfectly well after bending the handle bars back into shape . I have a replacement set on the way . i very much doubt that a insurance company is going to state that something has no structural damage . The point of them writing things off is so they are no longer liable for it . Those that don't get written off they will be wanting more $$$ for . Glad they left the plate and wof on mine that expires June next year . The Aprilia bug has out grown the Ductati bug by 3 to 2 now days Trog