OBD2 fuel economy guage on CE Lancer Wagon

intrade, Jan 26, 11:17am
2000 mitsubishi i doubt it will give you any readings a lot of early 2k mitsubishi still used obd1 and only added the obd2 port because the knotheads in california made it mandetory with a Y cable for diagnostic like in my cable set from launch Diagun for mitsubishi

intrade, Jan 26, 11:20am
if you want to save money then do your services on car new air-cleaner and check tyre pressure every 14 day.

tygertung, Jan 26, 2:43pm
Probably only drive the car every 14 days. We don't typically use it for around town, I mean why would you, if you have the use of your legs.

We usually only use it for long distance travel or carting building supplies.

intrade, Jan 26, 2:48pm
ummm your not going to save fuel carting building supplys.

ronaldo8, Jan 26, 3:56pm
step one: refill tank
step two: write down litres and k's in notebook

drive

step three: go to step one.

eg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycarservice.mycarservice

tygertung, Jan 26, 4:51pm
I don't think you understand. I wish to ascertain a live readout of fuel consumption to allow driving in the most economical fashion.

Of course I can work it out when refilling, but that doesn't really help much. I might be going up a hill and wish to find out whether the engine is more economical in second or third gear for example.

ronaldo8, Jan 26, 6:06pm
Now I understand that you failed to explain what it was you want to do.
There was no mention of live readouts.

tygertung, Jan 26, 6:15pm
Sorry, perhaps I was unclear. When we get rental cars, I find it of great benefit when it has the live readout as I am able to conserve fuel = more beers.

sw20, Jan 26, 10:34pm
Just drive at 30km/h in town. 70km/h open road. You will save loads of fuel.

tygertung, Jan 27, 7:24am
Arbritrary figures like that are not going to be so good as it might actually be better to go 80, that's what I want to know.

I might order one of these, they are $130 AUD but the exchange rate is good, so only $140 NZD.

http://glengineer.com.au/mpguino.htm

toyboy3, Jan 27, 9:42am
If you want economy fit a manifold vacuum gauge and drive with the highest readings

bill-robinson, Jan 27, 10:05am
i usually reset trip meter when i fill up.i have checked the fuel consumption with the onboard reading and guess what they are within 0.1km of each other

tygertung, Jan 27, 10:29am
Rad as, I wish my car had an onboard reading as well, but it doesn't and I want to fit up an onboard reading meter.

bill-robinson, Jan 27, 12:38pm
iu was trying to show you that there is very little difference between what you have and more confused electronics. if you cannot do that there is no hope.

supernova2, Jan 27, 12:43pm
I agree. Several cars had those fitted back in the 80's or there abouts.

tygertung, Jan 27, 12:49pm
You seem to miss the point. I want to know if driving in second gear up the hill, or third gear is using less fuel. I want to know if driving at 90 or 100 kmh is using less fuel.

It is no use working out how much fuel I am using over an entire tank of fuel.

bill-robinson, Jan 27, 1:52pm
to many variables to bother with. drive it like the truckies do, get it up to speed and keep it there using min throttle, avoid hills and drive on the flat whenever possible.

saxman99, Jan 27, 2:28pm
You could do what I did - buy an old V12 and never worry about fuel economy ever again. ?

Warning: This option may result in GrinningLikeAnIdiot syndrome.

tygertung, Jan 27, 2:51pm
That is your opinion, but not what I was asking for.

bill-robinson, Jan 27, 3:51pm
let us know when you finish your on the fly ecometer and what the results and costs are please

ronaldo8, Sep 21, 5:06pm
The vacuum gauge is definitely the best way to educate yourself how to drive economically. The trip meter in my car does what you want, its not that usefull as it just underlines being smooth. Drive smoothly, don't accelerate hard, maintain as constant a speed as possible with the motor easy breathing air not gulping it. Your ears are as good an indicator as anything.