Just purchased a 2013 Volvo V40 1.6 turbo Xcountry

weetbix1921, Jun 4, 9:07pm
Would it be ok to use 98 with 10% ethanol for this car? I’m sure someone can set the record straight for me. Many thanks

msigg, Jun 5, 9:54am
I would stick with the 98, it has lasted this long already?. Why compromise.

vtecintegra, Jun 5, 10:04am
I think the question is whether E10 is suitable for it.

tamarillo, Jun 5, 10:34am
Is it an import with no English manual. Volvo have them online go look.
For yours
Petrol
Petrol must fulfil the EN 228 standard. Most engines can be run with octane ratings of 95 and 98 RON. Only in exceptional cases should 91 RON be used.
• 95 RON can be used for normal driving.
• 98 RON is recommended for optimum per- formance and minimum fuel consumption.
When driving in temperatures above +38 °C, fuel with the highest possible octane rating is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy.

Later ones say they can use ethanol so my exclusion I’d not use it in this. You don’t need 98 either.

bumfacingdown, Jun 5, 10:37am
"You don’t need 98 either"
Unless you want "optimum per- formance and minimum fuel consumption"

intrade, Jun 5, 12:26pm
The problem is with this fuel that it can cause massive problems. You would want to run ethanol defender fuel additive . Personally i would only run 98 Bp or 95 otherwise And if your nor sure run ethanol defender but going to be expensive to constantly do this and more expensive once The problem occurs with acid and rust that you cant blame no one for because you can not prove anything other than your fuel system is f----kd

tamarillo, Jun 5, 1:50pm
Agreed so then it’s whether the efficiency of running it on 98 accounts for the extra cost. Could try both over several tanks and measure precisely but who has time for that!

franc123, Jun 5, 3:35pm
I would just use 95 in that car. Its more readily available than 98 and is the best value for money fuel there is for the vast majority of cars.

marte, Jun 5, 4:17pm
https://www.volvocars.com/lb/support/manuals/v40-cross-country/2018w17/starting-and-driving/fuel/fuel---petrol

Says you should use 98, but can use 95. And up to 10% ethanol, but not 15%
Id only use 98 or 100.
Using 10% ethanol will use more fuel so there will be no difference if its cheaper.
{ Octane rating
RON 95 can be used for normal driving.
RON 98 is recommended for optimum performance and minimum fuel consumption.
When driving in temperatures above +38 °C, fuel with the highest possible octane rating is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy.}

s_nz, Jun 5, 5:15pm
Is this your car?

https://www.volvocars.com/nz/support/manuals/v40-cross-country/2012w46

If so, the answer is yes, E10 is fine.

Page 299 of the manual states:

- Petrol must fulfill the EN 228 standard (that standard allows ethanol content between 0 and 10%).

- Only in exceptional cases should 91 RON be used
- 95 RON can be used for normal driving
- 98 RON is recommended for optimum performance and minimum fuel consumption.

Using the highest possible octane rating is recommended in temperatures above +38 Deg C for optimal performance and fuel economy.

Standard advice with ethanol containing fuel is to ensure your first tank is an entire fill (i.e. wait until the fuel light is on, then full the whole tank).

For others it is extremely likely that any post 2011 car is companionable. All new car's sold in Europe since 2011 are E10 companionable, and there are many markets locally where E10 is common to the point where it is hard to find ethanol free fuel for stuff like old lawnmowers, marine applications etc.

s_nz, Jun 5, 5:17pm
EN228 allows up to 10% ethanol, so yes it is compatible.

http://consiliari.pl/gasoline_en_228/

weetbix1921, Jul 29, 1:48pm
Many thanks to all of those who have put their help forward!