A question for the car painters

Page 1 / 4
supernova2, Mar 22, 8:35pm
Hi all.Bro-in-law wants to have a go at painting his old (50 yrs) British car.I know its probably been asked before but any suggestions as to the easiest product to use.As far as we can tell its the factory paint with a few areas of touch up over the years, but all in all its in reasonable condition as its not flakey or chalky.Its two tone - white top & teal bottom.We not "expert" painters but can use a gun and have a shed to do it in so any suggestions, tips etc appreciated.Thanks Don

gunhand, Mar 23, 3:43am
Where to begin.If the car has original paint on it and hasnt been painted again and again over the years it may be a reasonably simple but time consuming task. If its an enamal paint the only real option is to strip it back to bare steal. Get some thinners and a cloth and wipe a small area and see what happens. If it softens up and comes off easy its either enamal or possably a dulon type product.If you repaint with same type of paint stripping wont be nessassary but if you want to use modern long lasting paint and have no sink back or other possable issues stripping is the best way. However. You can get a 2k sealer to spray over the exsisting paint and go from there. Sounds like solid colours you have so a good 2k product would be the go. Its about $100 a ltr plus reducer and hardner. And you would use about 2 to 2.5ltr per colour (if that) depending on size of car.Before I go on any more Ill see what you say about the car and if you know whats on it.
But ultimitly id do all the prep masking etc and pay a painter to do a back yarder for ya. Its only a few hours work if that if all the hard works done. Then theres the polishing of course.

petermcg, Mar 23, 4:11am
If its origonal it is probably Duco or some similar laquer, I would use Dulon to refinish this car, it is not an easy job though

pollymay, Mar 23, 4:14am
Lots of sanding. My god the sanding.

singing1, Mar 23, 4:16am
If it is Duco or nitrocellulose lacquer originally you must strip or two pack seal before painting over it.as Gunhand says.

trogedon, Mar 23, 4:33am
Change from teal to a nicer colour imho.

lookoutas, Mar 23, 4:40am
What car might help!

trogedon, Mar 23, 4:45am
Does that REALLY matter for re paint advice!

lookoutas, Mar 23, 4:55am
Yes it does -coz it will tell an "old" painter what the paint is/should be. There's already been some guesses above.

trogedon, Mar 23, 5:45am
There could be any type of paint on any old car. Make and model WON'T help - it's just interesting to know.

lookoutas, Mar 23, 6:05am
You'd better read OP again.

rob_man, Mar 23, 6:59am
If it's original paint then the make and year is relevant, also country it was assembled in. Back then it was a minefield of different systems and material types and we had to establish all of these factors when working on those old cars.

gunhand, Mar 23, 7:00am
Its British so it will be posh. Prob 20 coats of hand rubbed enamal lol

pollymay, Mar 23, 7:07am
50 years of hacked repairs and bogged up rust can be a real surprise when you find it. I'd probably strip it right back to metal if possible/have the patience. Touch ups = touched up for a reason, be that flaky paint or a big dent filled with bog.

If you just want it shiny then a 2k would be an alright bet I'm guessing. I'd still want to know there is metal under the paint though, not paper mache bondo'd over.

I'm no expert either but I've painted a few backyarders, the best bit is when they turn out better than a "pro" that doesn't put in the time to do it right. The worst bit is when it turns to poos and you have to do it aaaaaall again.

singing1, Mar 23, 7:23am
If stripping to metal is out of the question.it is a huge job.I would seal it with a two pack primer and do the prep and send it to a paint shop for the final blow over. I dont think it would be that expensive as there isnt that much time involved.

rob_man, Mar 23, 7:25am
But was it assembled here! There are Duco finishes as well as low bake enamels on local vehicles but British assembled cars were mainly high quality nitrocellulose. The only safe option apart from stripping is a coat of good old enamel.

singing1, Mar 23, 7:31am
So you wouldn't recommend a two pack primer to seal in that old finish, instead of stripping! Why not!

singing1, Mar 23, 7:39am
See. part of the problem you must seal in is that the solvents in your new coats will soften the original finish. It wont do that to a two pack sealer.

trogedon, Mar 23, 7:42am
Paint shops usually don't want to do just the final coat as they know that the shiney coat will show up any imperfections in the prep and they'll cope the blame or the car owner will say XYZ shop painted it and people will think "Hmm not going there if that's how it'll turn out".

rob_man, Mar 23, 7:42am
The materials involved are probably not going to be compatible. Two pack primers are brilliant for what they are made for but if you soften up a layer of nitrocellulose and then seal it under a layer of a rigid, impervious material it will remain in a state of flux forever and your finish will never stop moving. This is an old problem that we agonised over a lot back then when all the flash colours started appearing and people wanted their older car zhooozhed up but didn't want to pay for stripping.
The best sealer I ever used was Preparacoat primer which was enamel based, completely neutral and would sit happily under any modern material.

gammelvind, Mar 23, 7:45am
Personally I would look at the likes of dulon laquer for a repaint, but before doing anything try and establish what it is painted with. There are dulon suppliers in Rotorua, Riri st I think.

the_don_61, Mar 23, 7:45am
old duco you can laquer over.Old enamel you can laquer over.

repaint with dulon (old school) laquer.(type A) Then 600 wett it. and then a good few coats of a top end 2K clear.

people dont use laquer anylonger because it takes too long.But you get a far better job.

rob_man, Mar 23, 7:45am
I would recommend the OP to paint it with Santano enamel if it's still available. Totally compatible with everything and it will last ok in solid colours.

rob_man, Mar 23, 7:48am
If you put Dulon over Duco nitrocellulose you'll be in a world of hurt.
You also can't use 2k clear over dulon, it falls off.

the_don_61, Mar 23, 7:49am
Santano laquer is OK over old car paint.

also use a good 1 pot undercoat / spray putty.Its sands up good wet with 400 ready for laquer