Help Please. I have a 1994 honda odyssey it goes it is warranted and registered but it needs a lot of work done to it that i am

becks130, May 16, 12:52am
I have a 1994 Honda Odyssey- it goes, it is warranted and registered, but it needs a lot of work done to it that I am never going to be able to afford as I am a solo Mum of three. It needs the CV joints replaced (not in a hurry though), new back brakes, the gears are slipping, the back window doesn't fully shut courtesy of my three year old, I have multiple dings on it that need panel beating (again, not in a hurry), and the inside is a mess as my kids think it is a rubbish bin and I have a dog as well. I would like to get rid of it before it starts costing me heaps. Is it realistic to sell it (with the above faults listed) for a low amount, or should I just run it to the ground and sell it for scrap! Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

becks130, May 16, 12:54am
It also has a noisy exhaust from when I stupidly backed into a low wall.

tonyrockyhorror, May 16, 1:47am
If you don't actually need a car (as in one option you've listed is getting rid of it) then just do that.

Otherwise, get rid of the dog and put the money saved keeping that toward repairing maintaining the car.

becks130, May 16, 3:42am
I need a car, and my house is the 4th home the dog has been to in his 10yr life. Thank you though.

cne_merchant, May 16, 3:56am
Ashame you are down south. I could possibly help you out with most of issues here in hamilton, as the faults you listed,are not that expensive to fix. Apart from tranny, that i am not sure of. However it is possible to get rid of your car, so to speak, on trademe. Ill probably get shot down for this, but id put around 800 reserve. You might be surprised at how much it will sell for. And its pretty easy to find a cheapish car on here (under 2000) that will get you and your family from a to b.

becks130, May 16, 5:15am
^^^^^^ THANKYOU! That is extremely helpful.

mugenb20b, May 16, 5:23am
I also agree that you should get rid of the dog. It doesn't matter how many homes she's had. It still doesn't change the fact that it's only an animal that eats and shits. It doesn't provide for your family. So, that will save you at least $20 a week.
As for the car, I would say fix it, but if the tranny is slipping, then it's probably not worth repairing unless you can get a good, cheap second hand unit.

cne_merchant, May 16, 5:43am
Its different for some. My dog was a MEMBER OF THE FAMILY, who was loved and cared for. Maybe the kids of the op are attached to it :)

mugenb20b, May 16, 5:45am
Sorry, I disagree. It's JUST an animal and it COSTS money and you get NOTHING in return. If you can't eat it, it's no good.

The only dogs that should be alive are the working dogs, like the ones used by farmers, police, blind people, etc.

cne_merchant, May 16, 5:47am
No problems :) talk to zephyrheaven (ask him on his auction) about your problems, see what he recommends, he has his own garage in chch, and has an extensive knowledge in cars. Id say he will be your best bet.

cne_merchant, May 16, 5:51am
Different strokes for different folks :)id kill for my dog when we had it. :)As for nothing!depends. You get a friend ( amazing how dogs help out), protector (some of them), etc. They are more than just animals, but thats imho. :)

kazbanz, May 16, 5:54am
becks-sorry to say this but I wholeheartedly agree with mugen.
The very fact you start this thread says clearly money is tight.
None of the work barring the transmission is expensive so you need to be able to save money. So get rid of the dog and theres the money saved on dogfood. Then drive the car only in emergencies which will save even more.
The trans MAY be a minor issue so I would take the advice to visit zeph and see what he says it'll cost to fix.
ACTUALLY ---eeejut me--Go get a quote to fix all but the mechanical issues
Take the quote to winz and get an interest free loan from them
Get rid of the dog and the loan will be paid by the money saved

cne_merchant, May 16, 6:09am
[quote/] ACTUALLY ---eeejut me--Go get a quote to fix but the mechanical issues
Take the quote to winz and get an interest free loan from them [/quote]

Good point.

nightboss, May 16, 6:23am
That is what I love about the regulars on the motoring message board.

Question "what should I do about my car!"

Answer "get rid of your 10 year old dog!"

becks130, May 16, 7:58am
nightboss you are so right. Thank you everyone for your help, it is much appreciated.

nightboss, May 16, 8:12am
If this was your first time asking for "motoring" advice, don't be put off.
Tonyrockyhorror and mugenb20b are known for their "style" of reply.
As are a few others like them, most will give great advice, and some will give 1000 word answers that can cure insomnia.

skull, May 16, 8:50am
If VW or Fiat had been mentioned you would have had your 1000 word post.

tonyrockyhorror, May 16, 9:02am
Getting rid of the dog which, as 'mugenb20b' so eloquently put it, "just eats and s#!ts" is the logical answer if money is tight and you need the car. What are you going to do when you get rid of this car! Buy another one on tick! That's just digging a deeper hole.

I make no apologies for not beating around the bush. Move the dog onto house #5- it's only costing you money you could do better things with.

taipan4, May 16, 9:03am
scuba, May 16, 9:22am
800 dollars for a dented piece of sh%t with a slipping tranny. as well as all the other problems .really!

moosie_21, May 16, 9:51am
Signs of the time. Wof and rego'd vehicles go for over a thousand nowadays no problem, doesn't matter what shape they are in usually!

cne_merchant, May 16, 10:06am
Seen worse going for more with no wof and rego.

horsepower7, May 16, 10:14am
id rather give the kids away (if i had one) then the dog lol