Sr2- question re racing

ontwowheels, Jul 4, 8:38am
Hi, just picked up on your comment in another thread.
I have always had an interest in cars, and would love to get into a bit of racing/ or restoration, but my financial position does not allow for this.
How much time and committment would generally be required to help out on someone elses race car. I am handy with tools, but do not know cars inside out. (they are after all different to aircraft).
My interest would be to be involved in motorsport as a hobby, learn more about cars, and racing, in the hope that as time goes on, and kids get older etc I would look at building my own race car (not sure what type/ class, something low key, and more social class than super competitive).

Thanks

modie61, Jul 4, 9:14am
socram maybe able to help you out.

unclejake, Jul 4, 10:10am
Could I add a little (as an ex. circuit racer)!

1) Building your own race car is a really, really bad move. You can buy someone else's much better car for 1/3rd of what the build cost, and you will save several years of effort. .Can't afford the whole thing right now so you want to do it bit by bit! Fine, just understand that you are throwing away 60% of your money and 90% of your time (and TBH that is what most of us did, and I did it twice! LOL)

2) SR2's advice is spot on, but if there was a circuit race class you particularly liked then you could try to attach yourself to a keen, local competitor from that class. As a general rule: the slower the cars the more approachable the owners.

3) Kiwis are pre-disposed to be suspicious of a stranger offering them unsolicited help.

Edit: I see you are in Auckland. Listen to what ever Socram tells you. He knows more about this than most.

sr2, Jul 4, 10:16am
Great advice as usual UJ.

supernova2, Jul 4, 10:36am
I agree join the car club and offer to be a gofor at every opportunity.Or if you can find a local motorsport orinated garage try the same idea.In my experience a lot of the "tricky" work is done after hours with a closed shop and often there is a need for a gofor to grab tools, hold things etc etc etc.Planes are mechanical and electrical, so are cars so you might just find a lot of your existing knowledge will migrate very quickly.i remember many years ago an aircraft tech of some sort crafting a rear wing on a workshop floor with his bare hands and a sheet of ali.To this day i have no idea how he achieved what he did but it was absolutely faultless.On another occassion we had a carpenter build a chassis jig.People who can use tools and think at the same time are always in demand.

ontwowheels, Jul 4, 10:40am
thanks guys, unclejake, yeah I probably wouldn't build my own race car due to the cost, but also like the idea of having a project in the garage, either way both those things are a long way down the track for me financially. so just looking at getting involved, to satisfy my need for a hobby, and to gain experience to draw on later down the track.
Getting involved in local rally might best suit my interests at the moment. I might find a car club, get involved with marshalling etc, with an aim of getting to know teams etc and finding someone to help crew with.

cheers for your advice.

jkm, Jul 4, 6:41pm
Another cheap and basic option is Track days. For $120 you can take your street car to the track for a day of fun on a race track. usually just need a helmet and some overalls.

twink19, Jul 4, 8:35pm
Auckland car club meetings are on Thursdays, stoddard road, go along and Im sure you will get the help you want

fiatracer, Jul 4, 8:46pm
playdayontrack.co.nz do this sort of thing. I just did a two hour twilight session at Hampton Downs for $25

socram, Jul 5, 5:36am
I would be only too pleased to get you on side!Check out the ERC Race series on the website. Do a google for it, as I had a warning for pointing someone in my direction a couple of months ago.

ontwowheels, Jul 5, 5:54am
OK thanks guys, socram I will be loooking this up later.

Track days are one thing, but its not the same as being involved with a more serious event. Plus I dont want to thrash the family Caldina, I sold my commodore for financial reasons, and my 84 toyota corolla runabout wouldnt like it!