Racing - 2011 Le Mans ruined. Is nothing sacred?

Page 1 / 2
foxdonut, Jun 10, 7:20am
What's up with racing these days! F1 going to faggy four cylinders, SuperCars running a 80% shared components, DTM about as fast as watching two grannys push shopping trolleys around a supermarket, WRC running a bunch of shit cars and now even Le Mans is imposing restrictions so retarded that the classes have all been renamed - even still after years of slowing down Le Sarthe with stupid new chicanes and gradients.

What happened to the days of 1200hp 1.3l V8 turbo's and and a new engine per race or showing up on the day in whatever you had and having a go! No worries about pansy ass shit like how much fuel you burn or how many sets of tires you flay up. Isn't racing supposed to be about going fast!

FIA are a bunch of knob ends, crippling motorsport and complaining that we don't go and watch enough of it at the same time.

Fkn douchebags.

ringo2, Jun 10, 7:31am
"1200hp 1.3l V8 turbo's ".In a Toyota Corolla I assume!

foxdonut, Jun 10, 7:38am
My bad. - V6's.

attitudedesignz, Jun 10, 7:41am
Ah, weren't the '80s great.

audi_s_ate, Jun 10, 8:07am
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=fuMRc_-nXyY - 80's F1 footage -
Can anyone explain to someone who was born in the 80's whats the deal with the sparks! Unburnt fuel from exhaust! It looks dangerous but cool!
Excuse the music.

unclejake, Jun 10, 8:31am
I have not watched the video, but what you might be seeing is the results of the now banned (and for good reason) "ground effects". It is worth a bit of a Google if you feel so inclined

andrewrender, Jun 10, 8:58am
Ground effect is what is believed to have caused Ayrton Senna's crash and his susequent death after hitting the wall. His car appears to have bottomed out causing the car to loose downforce completely and spear into the wall after losing control. It wasn't the impact that killed him but the stray wheel and suspension component that struck his helmet.

les6, Jun 10, 9:13am
still dead!

bellus_sybarite, Jun 10, 9:19am
F1, using 4 cylinder twin turbo direct injection and kerrs !

gammelvind, Jun 10, 9:25am
Everytime there has been a change in F1 people go it won't be as good. Well this season is proving to be as good as any in the past. if they go with the 4 potters, I am sure it will still be exciting.

gilligan2, Jun 10, 9:58am
they were 1.6s in the mclaren

skin1235, Jun 10, 10:33am
rough tracks and excessive down thrust from spoilers, those sparks are bits of the under car structure wearing away, not unexpected when you have 60mm ground clearance and doing in excess of 200 km/p/hr and hit a wee bump in the road

foxdonut, Jun 10, 11:38am
Its just metal hitting the tarmac - extended rear diffuser, drivers cell, front spoiler in some cases. You see it less these days because of minimum ride hide limits (to slow the cars), raised aero kits (to slow the cars) etc. The cel has a wooden tray at its base so it doesn't leave shit all over the track if it takes a hit.

Most of the tracks in that video have been resurfaced or dropped off the circuit because people stopped going to the racing and the costs were too high.

As for this year being better than the last! yeah, whatever - its all gone down hill since the end of the V10s in 05.

Next year I won't even bother watching. Four cylinders. pft.

pollymay, Jun 10, 11:57am
Go to a local dirt track or something then, we have a rally sprint event on this weekend and for $5 you can even go in the cars ;)

jason_247, Jun 10, 12:05pm
ok so what absolute tool decided to make a video about 1980s f1 cars and strip away the engine sounds in order to play a f'ing GLEE song

for shame

petemun, Jun 10, 4:33pm
f1 4 pot

petemun, Jun 10, 4:34pm
woah.

petemun, Jun 10, 4:39pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_car

skateboard wheels under the car is now the latest craze lol,, but seriously I did not know about this. buzzy

smac, Jun 10, 8:16pm
The shame is you recognised it.

doug207, Jun 10, 9:37pm
F1 as 4cyl! I doubt they'll be making the likes of the afore mentioned BMW M12/3 motor again.

Bloody cloud riding hippie twats in control.
Soon Moto GP will be on 883 Sporties.

esprit, Jun 10, 10:10pm
Le Mans has always had restrictions like this, even back so far as the 1960s there were quirky eligibility rules etc. Most of this is imposed by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO), not FIA. FIA oversee all the safety stuff, but all of the racing rules and regulations are at the behest of the ACO.

Basically it's their train set and you gots to play by the rules when you want to play with it. Many manufacturers have been unfairly treated over the years on a whim. it's just one of the quirks of the sport.

jason_247, Jun 10, 10:12pm
the first shot of the video says "music by glee cast"

elect70, Jun 11, 1:23am
Bernie Eccelstone must be getting doddery in his old agetoeven think of making F1 4 poters .All thissterile crap makes classic racing withbig V8s more enticing for spectators . ( except F1 that lot only there to be seen not to see)

rsr72, Jun 11, 3:07am
He's made his $billions out of it, before he turned it into a boring sideshow on boring tracks.

richardmayes, Jun 11, 6:30am
I tried watching Formula 1 for a couple of seasons in 1998/1999, when they all had V10s that made about 1000 horsepower at about 18,000 rpm if I remember right.

Dear god it was boring.
1st 2nd and 3rd place on the starting grid were 1st 2nd and 3rd place at the finish. Just a procession. Watching the 8th, 9th & 10th place guys scrap it out and trying to guess how many Honda engines would blow up this time was more interesting than anything that happened up where the leaders are.

When Hakkinen made his final, career-ending error and went for a cry in the bushes after he spun and stalled it in a single car incident while 30 seconds ahead of the rest, it was the most dramatic thing that had happened all year.

They all looked and sounded exactly the same, apart from Schumacher's Ferrari because he had a habit of staying in a higher gear than everyone through some corners and using the torque to pull it out, which just sounded. sexual!

I don't know if going to mad little 4 cylinder engines are the answer to those problems, but they certainly couldn't make it any worse than it was when they had "real" engines.