Nz diesel not so bad

intrade, Feb 25, 7:03pm
bump read this i tell about ulsd problems ever since they switched to ultra low sulfur as i soon noticed a problem.

bigfatmat1, Feb 25, 7:45pm
I also did a training course a few weeks ago. It was also mentioned by their top tech nz fuel is some of the best in the world. And similar explanation. Was not a mMc course

rctr, Sep 12, 10:21am
I have always been under the impression that our diesel is third world, however at a training course a few weeks ago our head tech guy said our fuel was not as bad as it is said to be, we were talking operating pressures in cr fuel systems and he said that between manufacturer and denso it was decided that our fuel is of high enough quality for our cr systems to run higher rail pressures was also told tat we are one of the few countries in the world that can have vehicles running such high pressures because of the fuel quality, after reading specs fo vehicles sold in different parts of the world it seems as if our vehicles and aussie vehicles do indeed run higher pressures that other countries.

mrcat1, Sep 12, 10:36am
I bet everyone who moans about our diesel has never had it tested by the oil lab in Christchurch and actually found out how good or bad it is compared to the rest of the world.

rctr, Sep 12, 10:43am
Can't be that bad if denso are saying it us of good enough quality to run higher pressure systems

intrade, Sep 12, 11:14am
what courses have you done?
you reslise the main problem is ethanol conterminaion i bet they skipped that part of the problem.
ethanol alone does not cause the problems but when you get a tini bit of water in to this fuel with ethanol contermination, this is when the problems beginn.
Non of the course in nz or germany knows about this problem.
The uk guy and the americans are well informed about this and its where i got my research from labresults from the usa and explenations , i posted links to this problems years ago on here.
What the bosch germany guy did say was sulfur is a lubricant and it is removed means old diesel was 100% better lubing then the new stuff , thats what he specially said to this.
Fuelcompanys cant be sued because they dont add water to your ethanol diesel mix its somone in the chain who does this by accident

intrade, Sep 12, 11:21am
now to how this causes a problem and why the oilindustry wont be responsible and cant be sued.
All you need is fuel your car in the rain and some rain makes it in your fuel filler , this is enough to cause rapid corrosion of the fueling system if you say park it for a week without useing it.

manufacturer are awear of the lesser lubrication of diesel and have had problems with primature wear
the solution some have now plated injector components with DLC dimond like coating
this part was told by the nz diagnostic guy , and i said yes i know the swiss invented Dlc coating . The problem is you dont know who uses dlc parts.
But i do know , as you are awear of the toyota D4 diesel injector problems
the new injector from denso are dlc coated and they need a new programming as they respond faster to opening closing times then non dlc injector nozzles.

intrade, Sep 12, 11:59am
rctr
what course did you do i done aecs ones in nz

daryl14, Sep 12, 1:49pm
The Marine grade diesel they pump off the wharf at Marsdan Point to refuel ships is so clean it is colourless. You would swear it is water if you saw it. It's only the ageing and pumping it down to Auckland after a batch of other crap and then sitting around in dirty tanks that gives it its colour.

rctr, Sep 12, 10:07pm
Factory mnz course

happylad3, Sep 13, 2:47am
Who said that? Was it Neil or Andrew? Or Lloyd?

gazzat22, Sep 13, 2:49am
Isnt the sulphur content (or was)the main problem?

rctr, Sep 13, 4:31am
Neil

gammelvind, Sep 13, 7:53am
I wonder if the attitude to the quality of NZ fuel is similar to that of auto transmissions. I.E. Auto trans in the 70's were horrible slush boxes and also our fuel was extremely average, and it has never changed, nor have opinions.

intrade, Sep 13, 8:18am
the sulfur was the main problem for causing catalisators and diesel particular filters to stop them functioning correctly, this is the only real reason it had to be remooved.
Also i just read a german article about diesel emissions them new diesel make nano particulates and go directly in the lungs unlike the larger visible particulents from old smoking Diesel
The study showed taxis polluting the towns by high degree with these nanoparticles. Possibily they said because of faulty or removed dpf systems.
but the conclusion was new diesel are more toxic then old stink-smokers to your health in this case of possibile incorrect or tempered functions.

intrade, Sep 13, 8:32am
back to quality of fuels.
You know as undisputed fact crude oil is what is used to refine and diesel is the waste product of the refining process.
Now we know crude comes from the ground and not all is the same quality as some dinosaurs where more fat then others befor they decomposed to crude oil etc. this just to make it clear that no crude batch is like the next.
Now some contain more sulfur then other crudes. as i just proofed to you why
removing sulfur is a difficult process and requires more or less chemicals to remove higher or lower sulfur content to bring it within suposed specs.
So some of the diesel is at the upper limmit of the allowed spec and some at the lower limmit. Who checks these limmits are not slight over and ah well shel be right mate as its in the pipeline no one will be able t proof anything, this is to show how you could get better and not so good diesel and you wont know what you got , added this with conterminations i spoke above and you have a tank full of bad diesel damaging your injector system not destroy it just damge it.
over time once it finally does brake down the chance you have absolute good diesel in your tank is extreem high and the diesel wont be blamed or its contermination.

intrade, Sep 13, 8:45am
Now to the contermination and why there is no signe of bad diesel in your tank.
the ethanol is alcohol and ethanol binds water, yes and that is extreem bad because it passes your fuelfilter water drain, togather with the ethanol and gets burned off. This is how you likely dont even find water .
The other extreem corrosion factor i spoke about is the problem of the chemical traces in the low sulfur diesel
i spoke about that it takes more chemicals to treat high sulfur diesel to be within specs. These traces are what react with the water and the ethanol contermination within a short time to extreem corrosion.
So a courier driver who purges all its fuel possibile within a Day is unlikely to suffere the extreem corrosion .
unlike joe plonk who just filled his tank drives home and parks his car with this deadly mix for 1 week up befor he wants to use the diesel again.
on joe plonks car the same diesel managed to reake havoc on the injection system and both him and the courier driver fill the same fuel and had the same contermination.

This is why i use a diesel additive it claims to treat for corrosion and other problems morreys diesel stop also states to-be particular filter save.
how good the products work i dont know but i rather try and prevent problems then replace my whole fuelinjection system. Better to protect against worst case is my opinion.

mrcat1, Sep 13, 9:15am
Best you have a read up on this, they are working on and making Ethanol blended diesel fuels.

http://www.best-europe.org/Pages/ContentPage.aspx?id=598

intrade, Sep 13, 9:46am
fact is they are ignoring the problem because they dont conterminate the fuel with water.
I did read up allot of studys on the problem and one article said at leaste the ethanol manufacturer help provide information about it and its process. as its a highly difficult subject and no problems have been found on manufacurers end but extreem corroded storage tanks from petrol stations.
this is how they got on to that its only if the mix is correct of ethanol lowsulfur diesel batches that had extra chemicals form the sulfur removal process , and then water was added the corrosion set in.
Never any problem solong to this mix had no water in it.
The reason fueltanks get water is obvious condensation rain getting in the tank when filling.
Flood waters like riverside whangarei bp was more then one time under water to name a few reasons how water enters the fuelchain.
at factory never any problem was prooven so they are not responisble and its why its a difficult subject with our fuel is fine and its not our fault finger pointing was going on for the last 10 or so years.

intrade, Sep 13, 9:53am
also i just had a video on how to figure if you have ethanol in the fuel
You take a sample in a mesure bowl add a specific amount of water.
stir it up let it settle and drain the water from the petrol
as water and petrol dont mix with each other
Then you check how mutch more water you have got as the ethanol binds with water.
This is how you check for ethanol in petrol E85 is 85% etanol-alcohol
so you be having lots more water when you pour it off = how to find out if somone wrongly fueld his petrol car with alcohol.

this video confirms again water binds to ethanol and that is deadly for a diesel. and its how water gets passed the fuelwater trap of diesel.

intrade, May 28, 1:48am
mrcat1 you should read this i said i study the real problem and its extreem complex
the article talks about additive corrosion inhibitors from manufacturer wear off so morreys just tops up this corrosion inhibitor if the writing on morreys bottle is correct.
http://www.accuratetank.com/docs/ulsd_recommended_reading.pdf