Good Friend and Ling Long Tyres

Page 1 / 2
clark20, May 13, 6:48am
For the same driver in the same car the better tyres would work the best

clark20, May 13, 6:53am
Where do I start?
Good shocks, not racing one, to bring it back to new condition is safety , most people do not realise how worn their shock are. Not all upgrade pads are for racing, you can get good street pads with better grip and feel, and don't mind getting a little hot.

Again we are discussing tyres not drivers, so why are you using this as a point? A safe driver in a safe car is good.

clark20, May 13, 6:54am
No I try them out, and I get what I pay for, but hey, if you think you are not worth it.

clark20, May 13, 6:58am
He wouldn't have a set of $12 warehouse specials that's for sure

skin1235, May 13, 7:00am
long day at the coalface huh

skin1235, May 13, 7:02am
you obviously missed the line, original gear in good condition, softer compound street pads are not performance pads , and a dangerous driver in a safe car is still dangerous, even if his car has all the kitted gear to make it safer, including tyres

scuba, May 13, 7:13am
tyre width is measured at the widest point on a pre-set rim size so measurement was probably taken at the sidewall rather than the tread edge. ditch the old 13 inch rims and put some 14s on - more options in tyres than 18513s- do the Hankooks still have white walls?used to be the only option in 185/ 13s at one time.

utwo, May 13, 9:12am
No one else has these problems? Bollocks. The facts speak for themselves. Look at these braking scores: www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Autocar-Tyre-Test-Budget-Tyre-Performance.htm
I experimented with different tyre pressures, but the Ling Longs Crosswinds were simply subpar.

sharchew, May 13, 9:52am
I have Windforce tyres on my BMW

henderson_guy, May 13, 6:06pm
Excuse me? I very much enjoy driving, I've driven for a living for several years, and I've also been known to engage in some spirited driving from time to time. I also drive over the kaimai ranges regularly, a road well known for catching out drivers who cannot control their car in adverse conditions. I have had Chinese tyres on my vehicle before, and I haven't slid off the road or even had any hairy moments in them.
Tyres are not all created equal, Chinese or otherwise, and you need to look at the merits or otherwise of each one before you write off the whole lot.

tamarillo, May 13, 7:10pm
Careful utwo, folk here don't like real tests by established authorities.

kazbanz, May 13, 8:44pm
You are deliberately evading the question.--Which DRIVER is going to be better A newbee with all the hot get or murph on linglongs and 100k old shocke etc?

andy61, May 13, 9:30pm
How often do you have to replace your seatbelts? Pre-tensioners only work once then have to be replaced(usually go off the the airbags in a crash.)

mardyyy, May 14, 3:52am
so using this logic, given that say a Golf might
outbrake a Swift we should all be buying Golfs?

tamarillo, May 14, 4:10am
? Don't get your question or point.

clark20, May 14, 8:18am
Of course, we are not discussing drivers, just tyres, you are off subject. The point people are trying to make is the cheap Chinese tyres are just as good as brand name ones. I know better and they need to get over that, as it is my opinion.

kazbanz, May 14, 8:47pm
Nope YOU are missing the point.
The point being that you are happy to spend thousands of dollars fitting top spec equipment but have spent little or nothing on improving the performance of the most important piece of equipment in that vehicle.
Its a mindset that utterly infuriates me.
Your reaction to what Im posting I can almost exactly gauge.
But read on a bit.
The reason it infuriates me is not that you don't have the right to do what you want to improve your car.
Its the fact that these improvements are in this context taken as compensation for lack of driving skill.
Then some bright spark decides it has to be legislated into being legally required.
spending for example $400 more for a set of tyres that offer 20% more grip vs $400 spend on improving your real world driving skill by 100% seems stupid economy to me.
And the gubbiment is rubbing its hands in glee . Dumb down the drivers means more laws to wrap em in cotton wool and protect em from themselves.
Ok simplified version--BE VERY CAREFULL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

billyfieldman, Oct 21, 11:34pm
Which Chinese tyres have you tried that you would use again? I might try Chinese tyres and am looking for recommendations.

I've been quoted Goodride, Linglong and Windforce but have no idea which are good because none of my mates use them.

billyfieldman, Oct 21, 11:36pm
Which Windforce tyres are you using? Do you find them good when driving on the highway during wet weather?

tamarillo, Oct 22, 2:48am
n
Mate this thread died in May!
My answer though . None.
Use known brand.

ambo11, Oct 22, 6:10am
Well after praising Linglong ages ago in this thread, I've now changed my mind somewhat. these tyres are now at 30,000km and half worn, but have become incredibly noisy. Grip is still good and they feel okay, but the noise means I'm going to replace them very shortly. Have some Jinyu chink tyres on another car similar size, they are somewhat quieter than the Linglongs.
Not sure what makes the noise increase, but it has by a huge amount.

sw20, Oct 22, 7:04am
Yep nothing says I'm on tick like $80 tyres on your AMG.

scuba, Oct 22, 10:17am
check the tires you may find the blocks have worn on an angle front to back and if they are directional tires they cant be reversed to even the wear.

sr2, Oct 22, 11:36am
You might need to do a little research, (not Google. i.e. ring the manufactures/agents) to back up such claims.

scuba, Oct 23, 9:58am
225 45 18s?
I'm assuming their directional rather than asymmetrical- most of the directional tyres I dealt with ended up with heel and toe wear on the blocks as they wore. Its been a few years though. so do they do 18 inch tyres that aren't directional or asymmetrical?

showing my age maybe but i can't see any reason the tyre noise would increase with age besides block wear or alignment issues.

ps: whose google? ;-)