2005 Mitsi Galant - new tyres

neo_psy, Sep 24, 11:48pm
Hi all,

We bought one of these with 30000km on the clock. It's still running the original Bridgestones (Potenza RE92 I think), which are noisy as hell and are about due for replacement in any case.

I used to own one running the same hoops, which wasn't as noisy. A wheel alignment bloke said the tyres were scalloped (sp!) from sitting around which would be causing the excess noise.

So, my point is, what tyres would you recommend for this! Stay with the factory tyres or try something different!

Car is mainly used for commuting at the moment, so I'd like good wear. Probably looking at a budget of $6-700ish for all four.

EDIT: I think they're 195/60R15.

TIA

moosie_21, Sep 24, 11:59pm
"Scalloped from sitting around"! Was this "tyre expert" from Tony's Ripoff Service by any chance!

neo_psy, Sep 25, 12:01am
Nope - Mag & Turbo. The guy we bought it off had a stroke and couldn't drive so it sat in his garage for ~10 months or something.

Plus the alignment was miles out, apparently.

We knew they were due to be replaced anyway, so that doesn't concern me unduly.

franc123, Sep 25, 12:06am
Scalloping is usually caused by a combo of poor balance and alignment thats a bit off, not from sitting around!That causes flat spots in one section of the tread, its normally obvious when the wheel is spun in the air if this has happened.

ninja_man, Sep 25, 12:07am
you wont get 4 potenza's for that money.

neo_psy, Sep 25, 12:09am
Hmm, if the Potenzas are the best option, I'd spend a bit more.

I've always thought car manufacturer's usually skimped on OEM equipment though, and thought someone may have run something different that was the shiz, so to speak.

phillip.weston, Sep 25, 12:12am
If it's just a commuter vehicle I would look at tyres like the Supercats and TZ100s. Or even look at the likes of Yokohama C-Drives or Toyo Proxes CF-1 etc. That shape Galant is quite prone to excess road noise though, all the ones I have owned have been noisey whether it's been an NZ-new 2000 2.0, a 97 2.5 or an import ST-R or VR-4. They must just be lacking a bit of sound deadening around the wheel and firewall areas.

vr4_legnum, Nov 14, 12:46am
Look at the Falken ZE912. Be able to pick up a set of the Falken for around the $600 mark.

Supercat are crap. They dont make the TZ100's anymore but will able to get old stock, They been replace with the TZ700 that look like a cheap Chnia make tyre.