What are the Hyundai I30 CRDi 2009 like?

realtrader1, Feb 2, 7:01am
Diesel hyundai auto what are these like? Any ideas? Any good?

thejazzpianoma, Feb 2, 7:55am
This is a weird pro-hyundai (or anything asian) and anti anything else messageboard so if I say anything negative the usual onslaught of nonsense will no doubt ensue.

But for what it's worth. No, grossly over priced, horrible ancient 4 speed auto. All you are doing is paying a premium for out of date tech from a company that hasn't come of age in this sector yet. Hyundai Diesels also seem to have a reputation for catastrophic failure with Hyundai NZ taking no interest (see the fair go episode on this online, then do some searches on here and see the half a dozen or so who have had this happen on here).

If you are going diesel, go European, I don't normally like generalisations but in this case it's true, and it's true for a reason. over 60% of cars in Europe have been diesel for a couple of decades now. They put the big bucks in to developing the tech way back in the 90's and are still very much the leaders in efficiency, reliability and low service costs.

Grab a VW Golf with the brilliant 6 speed DSG, or even a Fiat Grande Punto (for a fraction of the price of a Hyundai. Peugeot and Citroen also have some great diesel offerings but be wary of auto transmission options from them.

If you are just after low running costs, also bare in mind that the Golf 1.4 Petrol is also amazingly efficient and will give better economy than many hybrids in NZ conditions. There is no compromise on power with the Golf either, with the 1.4 giving you performance you would expect from a good 2.0 vehicle.

secca2, Feb 2, 7:58am
cant go passed a Vw, they make the best vehicles in the world, the technology is 2nd to done, fuel economy is unheard of, safe and comfortable to drive, you??

msigg, Feb 2, 8:03am
Yes as above, the trans on those euro cars are not as good as the asian counterparts, the one your looking at is a brilliant car, very cheap to run and good reliability, They are a huge seller in Aussie, good looking car with potential, The golf diesel is a good car too, but you have to be lucky with the trans. Get some reviews, take one for a test drive, see how it goes.

stevo2, Feb 2, 8:22am
Havent driven the diesel version yet although its supposed to be a very good engine.
I have driven the petrol version and it seemed no better or no worse than your average 1.8lt.
The handling of the car is very average, it did not handle as well as the top 3 in this segment (Mazda3/Axela, Ford Focus and VW Golf.) but possibly more like the Corolla and Pulsars.
It is a good reliable vehicle that will get you from A to B with little fuss or expense but is hardly likely to bring out the driver in you.
If you want a reliable car to get around in with a few bells and whistles and are quite happy to drive around the countryside at responsible speeds, it is not a bad choice.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 2, 8:25am
This is too generalised, to the point of being unhelpful.
6 speed DSG wet clutch DSG is as reliable as modern transmissions get, plenty of Golf's running the 6 speed unit. Early 7 speed dry clutch DSG Diesel Golfs had some hiccups for a brief period, those would be best avoided.

The only others to really be wary of are the Peugeot/Citroen (same company) units running the old 4 speed auto.

Fiat's 6 speed Dualogic is also a really strong unit (as it's really just the same box as the manual car with an ecu and actuators operating the clutch and gear select). It's not as smooth as VW's being a single clutch unit, and the Fiat was much cheaper new. However it's worth considering as they are also much cheaper used.

The Japanese have plenty of unreliable transmissions, from Honda's CVT in the Jazz, their auto's from the Odysey etc. Toyota's subsidiary also built the dreadful unit that ruined many Volvo's. There are loads of Nissans running very short life CVT's too. None of this is really relevant though if you want a Diesel vehicle.

grangies, Feb 2, 8:26am
The bodies are certainly NOT galvanised/ zinc coated.

So stone chips and deep scratches WILL rust.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 2, 8:28am
Where as pretty much all the European brands are and have been since the 90's (some earlier even).

delerium1, Feb 2, 8:28am
I have the 2010 model.
Interior is nice. diesel is faster than the petrol and I regularly see 1000k to the tank. the 4 speed auto is very smooth. The only issue with it is that the transmission does run warm, so either change the fluid sooner than the service interval (100000km) or fit a transmission cooler. the fluid deteriorates and causes the valve bodies to stick (think $3000) replacement.

If you buy European be prepared to go broke unless its under warranty.

I got mine for 12 grand so saying its overpriced isn't true.

If you can stretch to the 2011 or later do so, you get a 6 speed box.

intrade, Feb 2, 8:32am
The problems apply for any vehicle its to do with emission laws , if it has a DPF then no short trips are to be ever made and at least 1 long trip over 50km at constant cruise speed must be made once a week.
The problems of dpf on latest makes of diesel now 2014, + use urea adblue to regenerate the dpf so short trips are more tollerated with adblue vehicles .
Another problem is incorrect servicing since we have now 2 threads of main dealers with out a single clue. on this forum posted , of how to check simple electronic faults of vehicle that are not even remotly as complicated to diagnose as a 2009 diesel .
so the challange is to have it serviced correct when even main dealers dont seem to have a friggen glue.

mugenb20b, Feb 2, 8:39am
Zinc coated cars will rust just as much if stone chips and scratches are deep enough. By the way, how old is your non galvanized car and is it rusty?

jmma, Feb 2, 8:40am
So here we have the fairgo bit and another poster!

quote=thejazzpianoma]

This has even made it to Fair Go, we had another first hand incident on here some time back

Now we have the fairgo bit and half dozen others.
You are making these numbers up ! thejazzpianoma wrote:
Hyundai Diesels also seem to have a reputation for catastrophic failure with Hyundai NZ taking no interest (see the fair go episode on this online, then do some searches on here and see the half a dozen or so who have had this happen on here).

.[/quote]

jmma, Feb 2, 8:41am
New Year, same old same old )o:

smac, Feb 2, 8:41am
I've driven the current i30 and the previous. Plenty in town, plus open road.

Pros:
Small to park in the city

Cons:
Handle like a wet sponge
Hard to reach, overly complicated controls (for simple actions)
Crap seats, without enough adjustment, no lumber control (maybe on higher spec models but holy crap it's 2015 these things were in cars 30 years ago)
Need to book an appointment to think about passing, the engine/trans may or may not approve your appointment request.
No 'brains' to the interior lights so plenty of flat batteries in a pool car situation. (even my knuckle dragging under spec'd aussie dinosaur Falcon turns off the lights if left on).

No idea about reliability, the cars I drive are leased.

tsjcf, Feb 2, 9:32am
More to do with the rubbish you spew.
Going to mention how you cant take your VW to the local VW dealer because they don't know how to fix them.
How you need to import your own parts to get them at a reasonable price.
Strange how brand X always turns up at auctions stuffed to suit your cause.

Have you driven a Hyundai diesel with 4 speed auto?
They drive well with great economy and plenty of grunt for passing.

beno, Feb 2, 9:40am
the i30 is a fantastic car with the the latest technology for a 2009 model. it has a 5.6l per 100k fuel economy and you can fit 4 adults in it. so a good comparison would be a golf or a focus. they are not overpriced. about 10k for the 2009 model seems a fair sum. dont buy a european car. You live in NZ. European cars are more exotic but when they break you're left with a very large bill. the i30 has a real auto trasmission not the unreliable CVT or DSG and the handling is a bit stiffer for the diesel version. the build quality is very good and the Hyundai range share a lot of parts with KIA which are 30% lower than the japanese car parts.Also, you will be able to sell the Hyundai once you're done with it which may not be the case for some Euro brands.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 2:53am
The thing is, you can get a 2007 Fiat Grande Punto for literally half that, the Fiat has the far superior 6 Speed dualogic, that does not get hot as it has no torque converter and an appropriate amount of gears.

Yes, the Fiat might be 3 years older for half that money, but the 3 years newer is the sole advantage of the Hyundai. The trade off is you have to put up with the lower spec, poor transmission, extra fuel consumption and inferior handling.

So, by that yardstick I would say it's even generous of me to consider the real value of the Hyundai to only be around 6K. Real value being how much car you are actually getting for your money.

Remember too, the Fiat 1.3 Diesel is the worlds most popular small diesel. It's supplied to Suzuki, Ford, Vauxhal, Opel and probably others I have forgotten about. The 1.9 would have to be about the most well proven Common Rail diesel in the world. The Fiat is a great car, sure it's no VW, but it wasn't/isn't priced to compete with them. Compared to the I30 it's still easily the better vehicle for half the cash.

This business of assuming that European vehicles are not going to be as reliable etc is total and utter nonsense. The Europeans have far far more experience with common rail diesel technology, have invested far more in it and have been doing it for much longer. Hang, Fiat effectively co-invented the modern Common rail Diesel.

If you want reliability in a modern Diesel it's a quality European brand that you are after. You wouldn't see long haul Mercedes Courier vans on here with 1.5 Million or more km's on the clock if that wasn't the case.

delerium1, Feb 3, 5:20am
Not interested in the fiat. Its hideously ugly and repair work is expensive. Not to mention it will probably have travelled double the distance.

Lower spec? nup have the elite version.
inferior handling? have you driven one?
Poor transmission? nup, does the job nicely.
Extra fuel consumption? lol, im happy with 1000km to the tank, and with the performance the engine provides.

Reliability? really, you want to go down that route? the euro cars ARE more expensive to maintain. Significantly so. All your arm waving wont change that. You're quick to pick out faults in cars except you're beloved euros. THey have had plenty of recorded faults and recalls, and common faults for various models just like every other manufacturer.

Thanks, but im not interested in your interpretation of the value. The market after all, determines the price.

Apart from that, the OP asked about a model of car that I have. Not a European car. They may be nice to drive, not so nice to own.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 5:47am
That's OK I wasn't suggesting you buy one, it's the OP I have been trying to help.

ema1, Feb 3, 6:04am
Not help . more like influence by half truths and dissing even the make being asked about and discrediting owners of same . again ! As time goes on your cause is getting more like Swiss Cheese . full of holes most done by yourself.

delerium1, Feb 3, 10:27pm
oh and 2015 i30 has a dual clutch auto box.

w202merc, Jul 9, 7:19am
spent a lot of time in the rental car industry relocating cars, driven both I30's extensively, not a BAD car but not something a driving enthusiast would get excited about, the diesel is a far better drive then the petrol, has the low down torque that the petrol really lacks, try and find a manual if you can, but alas i would have a TDI Golf any day but each to their own.