Fleet Purchase - Mazda or Toyota

mrsh101, Aug 18, 10:01pm
Hi Guys, Just wanting to get a snap shot of both of the above if you were purchasing for Fleet purposes. Strengths/weaknesses - Good and Bad etc. What would you select. Thanks in advance. Just wanting to get some information

budgel, Aug 18, 10:05pm
I( think It depends on which specific vehicles you are interested in buying.
Utes will probably have a different outcome from small hatchbacks or medium sedans.

mrsh101, Aug 18, 10:15pm
Lets say sticking to Small and Mid Hatch Mid Sedan and SUV

westwyn, Aug 18, 10:16pm
How long is a piece of string? If you are looking at a fleet buy of new vehicles, I'd suggest you start out by getting in touch with one of the fleet management companies who experience real-world vehicle whole-of-term operating costs, fuel usage comparisons, warranty claims, usage availability days per annum, cost / benefits and residual values at the end. It's a very complex series of calculations depending very much on your individual fleet requirements, that probably would benefit from talking to the people who do this every day for a living.

Personal "Toyota good, Mazda bad" etc thinking isn't going to answer your question.

There are a few of the major leasing companies out there who would be prepared, I'm sure, to give you some guidance- the real-world $$$ guidance you need.

mrsh101, Aug 18, 10:21pm
Hi there thanks westwyn. This is not for purchasing I am just interested in peoples own opinions between the two brands and what they offer in the NZ market.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 10:43pm
new or used ?

tamarillo, Aug 18, 11:24pm
Mazda.
But the I'm thinking as a driver and Mazda makes much more desirable drivers cars.
For instance the diesel in a Mazda CX-5 or Mazda 3/6 is a far better unit than Toyotas.
They're simply more desirable. And happy employees produce better work.

mrsh101, Aug 18, 11:25pm
Hi Kazbanz, New please

msigg, Aug 19, 5:14am
Toyota for reliability and re-sale.

kazbanz, Aug 19, 5:23am
Then I'd say from the long term point of view Toyota

tamarillo, Aug 19, 5:28am
Mazda for happy staff who love their boss and work hard.

tamarillo, Aug 19, 5:29am
Wagons and softroaders for resale too. Looking for friends I see same car as wagon a good deal more than sedan version constantly. And softroaders even more.

westwyn, Aug 19, 5:30am
No problem. It's still a long straw then, given that there are good and bad points around both those marques when it comes to new. Even residuals are not always in Toyota's favour- for example, the Mazda CX-5 is currently seeing VERY strong residual values as the model is hot property as a used vehicle, while the new Mazda3 will be devalued (as will the Corolla) by the sheer number of rentals in the fleet. Utes- well, Hilux resale is damn near legendary, but the new prices for a spec'd up Hilux isn't cheap either, whereas there are some quite good deals for new BT-50's (and the used ones, unless they're a GSX, are not so badly priced).

If it's a general "which is better" question then you really need to be quite model or bracket specific, and even then, there's no easy answer.

Mazda 6 has failed to ignite buyer interest here (as has been the case in Japan, too) while the CX-3 has done pretty well so far.

tony9, Aug 19, 7:16am
For a large fleet buyer, the actual vehicle details won't feature highly in the selection. It will all be about cost (and what cost means will vary, some companies have access to cheap capital, others not) and what else is bought to the table. Including insurance, fuel deals, service and facility locations etc. etc.

For some, things like fuel economy will mean little or nothing (think rental companies). Carbon image does not seem to mean a lot now.

mrsh101, Aug 19, 8:54am
Thanks people some really interesting thoughts here. Nice to see the comments happy for them to keep coming

ftorres, Aug 19, 9:42pm
toyota are not what they used to be have a kia sportage and its great

petal_91, Aug 20, 1:34am
If you want some hybrids to show corporate responsibility and such then of course Toyota has that sewn up.

tamarillo, Aug 20, 2:46am
Or is that corporate idiocy?

brapbrap8, Aug 20, 6:28am
I remember seeing one car fleet (maybe Coca Cola?) that was all VW Golf Bluemotion hatch backs, and they had actually sign written on them about how they are so much more efficient than a hybrid Toyota.

Of course the 'hybrid' badge is worth a lot more than if they are actually fuel efficient or not though!

serf407, Aug 20, 6:44am
#1 - You might compare across 3 vehicle brands -
http://www.hyundai.co.nz/fleet/
I would look in the workshops if I could, if the workshop isn't a happy place/ culture then you probably would not want to take a lot of vehicles there over any length of time.

henderson_guy, Aug 20, 6:57am
You're all waaaay off. Everybody knows, if you want to run a fleet of vehicles, you need Fiat Multiplas!

bumfacingdown, Sep 20, 9:18am
Man, it took a long time for that to come up