Mitsubishi question

cute_char, Jul 31, 5:13pm
was talking to a mechanic whos been a mechanic for around 40 years told me that all models of mistis tend to have weak automatic transmission that don't last long? but said the manual ones are fine. But told me not to get a mitisi unless I plan on keeping the car for no more than 3 years or 4 years

r.g.nixon, Jul 31, 5:15pm
18 yr old Mitsi here. No auto problems, yet.

cute_char, Jul 31, 5:17pm
was told by him that they are made to be cheap so are made to not last long and said it's rare that they make it past 250,000 kms

m16d, Jul 31, 5:33pm
[quote=cute_char But told me not to get a mitisi [/quote]

Did he tell you to get a V dub.

ladatrouble, Jul 31, 5:38pm
If an Aisin trans in a Mitsi fails, it's crap Mitsi trans, if that same trans is in a Toyota, it's just bad luck mate.

easygoer, Jul 31, 5:53pm
I had my import Mitsubishi Emeraude auto for 9 years and never had a problem with it, admittedly it was a low Ks example, as long as a vehicle is serviced properly the chance of a failure is quite low.

msigg, Jul 31, 6:31pm
Well I tend to agree with him, even the manual trans was not as good in the bigger mitsi, they still last but I find they are not as smooth as some other brands, some models are worse than others. Some of the magna box were shit and the v3000. Thats my take anyway. each to their own.

wind.turbine, Jul 31, 6:31pm
thats a pretty out there statement to make as every make as its good and its bad and how its maintained is going to determine how long it lasts.
had a 94 L200 that kept blowing head gaskets and back a long time ago my old man had a l200 that stuffed 2 manual gearboxes in the space of two years, both had done well under 200'000km.
my 2006 triton on the other hand, 270'000 and have had no issues what so ever.
if mitsi were weak and constantly breaking down then they would not be still around, you are always going to get that one burnt corn flake in the box

rctr, Jul 31, 9:48pm
Mmc have not made a transmission for years. Manuals and autos are aisin (toyota) and Cvts are jatco(nissan). 90s 4 speed autos were not great but later stuff is no less reliable than other manufacturers especially as multiple brands use the same base transmission as mitsi autos.

david_270, Aug 1, 8:45am
Did your mechanic tell you about all the problems that Toyotas have?
Particularly the diesel engines in Hiluxes, Prados and Fortuners?

gazzat22, Aug 1, 10:28am
And you believed him? .Ive had several Mitsubishi,s.Last one was a 2005 lancer .and still going strong with SIL .Its now 13 years old with no problems.

tibby1947, Aug 1, 5:18pm
1990 L200 manual here, 280,000 1 head gasket, 2 clutch cables. not much else other than steering or suspension parts that WoF failed. Exhaust system still original. Hope my 3 years old ASX is half as good.

tgray, Aug 1, 7:58pm
There's good Mitsi's and bad ones. I trust the NZ Lancers but little else.

ambo11, Aug 1, 8:47pm
I was totally and forever put off Mitsubishi years back due to a huge trans failure in a Diamante under 100,000km. Yes they used to have major trans problems and there were 18,482 different transmissions for the same car. (Like the older Hondas). That was years ago though, and you mention 250,000kms. I think to be fair most cars cold be starting to shit the bed a bit by that mileage.

rovercitroen, Aug 1, 10:20pm
The Outlander is a good vehicle.

rovercitroen, Aug 1, 10:22pm
Daughter has a 2.4 Lancer wagon NZ new done almost 300,000 kms. Owned since 100,000 and well serviced. Has been a great car and very reliable. Still drives well.

3tomany, Nov 6, 1:18pm
While all brands have vehicles that give 2-3 or 400,000ks trouble free motoring i do wonder how many fail well under 250,000. I would say the percentage is fairly high. Many cars in zebra wreckers have moderate mileage. Next time i am there or at pick a part i might look around at mileage of various brands just out of interest.