Question about Car seat HEAD RESTS.

mr_lovebug, Aug 18, 8:07pm
I have a car where the rear head rests BLOCK the view and makes it hard for backing (while looking out the back window. ).

Is it legal to remove them and keep them out?

Or can I make a smaller headrests that look okay and are much lower then the ones that block the view?

Thanks.
Is this a WOF thing too?

rob_man, Aug 18, 8:22pm
Same, I was going to take them out anyway and put them back at WOF time if there's an issue.

s_nz, Aug 18, 8:22pm
Check out 1 July 2014 here:

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/amendments/in-service Also:
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-interior/head-restraints#table731

Regarding modifying the head restraints, I wouldn't try that one.

Also, as somebody who has been rear ended when somebody fell asleep behind me in motorway traffic, You really want to keep head rests in occupied seats. They are a safety feature.

rob_man, Aug 18, 8:24pm
Mine's a ute, I guess it would be easy enough to put them back on the rare occasion there's back seat passengers.

nzmax, Aug 18, 8:47pm
I have the same issue with impaired rear vision with the centre rear headrest of my car. I have removed it and has passed the last 3 WOF's without it, but have put it in the boot at WOF time in case. Its kind of ironic that a safety item actually impedes your general rearward vison.

OP is it possible to replace your headrests from another vehicle of the same make that has see through headrests. A lot of hatchbacks seem to have that type.

jmma, Aug 18, 8:48pm
Does no one use mirrors these days :oP

mr_lovebug, Aug 18, 9:07pm
NOT everyone has OR USERS those things.

mr_lovebug, Aug 18, 9:09pm
I have looked for a Hatch back car headrests but they are different to my car.

I am looking at making lower profile headrests, the middle headrest is okay and can be seen over, but the other 2 are way too big, I not often carry people in the rear of the car.

I might go and ask VTNZ and see what they have to say.

Thanks for your reply.

joanie04, Aug 18, 9:11pm
I always use my mirrors. One of my uncles backed a truck into a crusher hopper because he wouldn't use his mirrors and insisted on looking over his shoulder. We are talking many years ago and he was driving a Thames Trader. He wondered why Dad wouldn't let him drive on the road lol.

nzmax, Aug 18, 9:14pm
Try driving with the lower half of your back window obscured. that one huge blind spot. I now know way manufacturers invented reversing cameras. to counteract the blind spot they created with rear seat headrests lol.

nzmax, Aug 18, 9:16pm
I have the reverse problem, its the centre one thats the problem for me. The two outer ones are actually ok.

rob_man, Aug 18, 9:18pm
Of course, my ute has a flat deck though and the mirrors don't quite give the depth perception you need for that last half a metre or so.

supernova2, Aug 19, 10:20am
Here's the rule
http://nzta.thomsonreuters.co.nz/DLEG-NZL-LTSA-T.LTR-32010_1.pdf
As I read it if the vehicle was made after 03/1999 then you can't do anything about the head restraints without a LVV cert.
As for not being able to see then that's what external mirrors are for. How do you lot think van and truck drivers cope with limited rear vision?
I had the misfortune to be driving a canopy equipped ute not so long ago. Trying to look thru 3 pieces of grubby glass (and around the contents of the wellside) to see behind was just impossible. Even worse at night with following lights reflecting all over the place. You simply adapt to the circumstance and get on with it.

kazbanz, Aug 19, 3:12pm
The way I would interpret the law is "If the seat is being USED then you need the headrest in place" otherwise is a stupid and pointless process.

the-lada-dude, Aug 19, 4:09pm
Of course they do . for touching up their makeup at 100 k on the busy motorway

Buy a reversing camera

supernova2, Aug 19, 4:46pm
True but you could argue that I should get a WOF without the lights, wipers, indicators, horn or brakes working because I dont need them while the car is inside the testing station.
My SIL in her infinite wisdom threw the rear head rests from her RVR in the rubbish bin because she couldn't see out the back window. Fortunately for her she went for her WOF before the bin was emptied. She wasn't impressed that she had to wash/sanitise them before she went back for the recheck!

kazbanz, Aug 19, 5:28pm
Sorry dude I don't agree with your analogy.
Any car in NZ is likely/expected to be used at night and in the rain.Indicators need to be used every time you drive.
Rear headrest is only when backseat passenger is in the car. lets be honest -if theres a passenger there their heads in the way of the mirror anyway.

mrfxit, Aug 20, 10:11am
Only the front seats have to have headrests when factory fitted.
https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-interior/head-restraints
Table 7.3.1
Any fitted to rear seats need to conform to sensible performance requirements.
Proviso, the last bit of that regulation does refer to specific users but could probably be interpreted as a general wof rule

budgel, Aug 20, 2:23pm
If the head restraints are blocking your view when backing, consider an aftermarket reversing camera, they are cheap enough.

mr_lovebug, Oct 21, 1:58pm
I have rang LTSA and found that I am allowed to remove them.

I also am allowed to make a smaller version that WONT hurt anyone in case there is a accident.

I will be making some smaller head rests up.

Has for a Camera been there tried that and it WAS not worth the hassle, the car I have now NOT have room for a tidy mounting place of the screen.