Help - Advice on Ford Laser Issue

outlaw2, Sep 7, 6:38am
My partner had some issues with her car last night. The dashboard charge and handbrake lights came on and the lights flickered. When she got home the car wouldn't start.It turned out to be a dead battery.

I replaced the battery this morning but there are issues that have arisen when she drove it this morning - the charge and handbrake dashboard lights are still on and her car is revving very high - 2000rpm - all the time and the car??

mugenb20b, Sep 7, 6:41am
Broken alternator belt.

jandal90, Sep 7, 6:42am
Do the fan and alternator run off same belt! may of been alternator issue rather than battery (or both) if they use the same belt then that would explain the heating, go and check the belt is still there and moving

toyboy3, Sep 7, 6:43am
check the drive belts , may be broken

franc123, Sep 7, 6:45am
The alternator has stopped charging completely I'd say, although the fact its overheating as well is a bit suspicious, check the drive belt hasn't fallen off and is still tight, the belt also drives the water pump.If that looks OK get it to an auto sparky.

motorway, Sep 7, 6:46am
Yes, it probably has.

awrenn, Sep 7, 6:48am
I'd also suspect Alternator drive belt - isn't the Alternator belt also driving the water pump in these! That would also cause the overheating.

outlaw2, Sep 7, 6:51am
Legends - There is an alternator belt missing that should be there.

Thanks so much.

mugenb20b, Sep 7, 6:52am
Hopefully, the engine is still OK. They don't like to be cooked.

outlaw2, Sep 7, 7:00am
What sort of damage could the engine have received!I guess we will need to get it towed to a garage!

mugenb20b, Sep 7, 7:08am
Probably none, but it would pay to get it checked out by a mechanic. If the garage is 2 minutes away, then you could drive it there. Or better still, ring up a mobile mechanic to sort it out.

crzyhrse, Sep 7, 9:00am
It's almost as if they put the lights there for some other reason than they just look pretty. I just can't figure out what that might be.

thunderbolt, Sep 7, 9:06am
I know what you mean crzyhrse. Gave my ex a basic tuition on what to do if lights come on, how to change a tyre etc.
One day the little "genie lamp" light came on, so she drove straight home. From mangere to the North Shore. Lucky it was only a faulty switch.

franc123, Sep 7, 9:15am
You better hope that no head gasket or damage to the head itself has occured, Mazda engines like the Laser has are amongst the very last that should be overheated.Bit late now but the vehicle should have been stopped immediately and the cause investigated as soon as the lights came on, and certainly shouldn't have been driven this morning.If the temp gauge comes back to normal when the belt is replaced and the water level does not drop over the next several days of use, and no excess pressure or foaming is happening in the radiator you might have got away with it, at least for now.

outlaw2, Oct 15, 11:06am
Well, it had the belt replaced and the alternator and Water Pump pullys. They caused the snapped alternator belt. Running ok now.