Isuzu v Mitsubishi 4x4 buying advice.

-90-, Jan 22, 8:13pm
Looking into buying a 4x4 to haul some bikes to the hills. Currently looking at Isuzu BIghorn 3.1 V Mitsy Pajero 2.8, both in diesel form. Any issues to be aware of ! Budget is around $2500 so that rules out surf's etc. Would also consider petrol engines as it's going to be used as a second car mainly at weekends.

Any thoughts !

Thanks.

jenny188, Jan 22, 8:29pm
When spending $2,500 for a 4x4, there will always be the likelihood of some issues. Thats at the bottom end of the market. Find a reasonable mechanic and get a professional opinion before final purchase. For that price I tell my kids to expect to be the last owner of that vehicle before it dies or costs more than it's worth to keep it on the road. There is the odd good buy out there but ; in this price range, its more good luck, than what's expected.

mugenb20b, Jan 22, 8:43pm
Well said.

-90-, Jan 22, 9:02pm
Thanks for that Jenny ! Totally agree. Was just looking to get specifics on each truck .

mugenb20b, Jan 22, 11:02pm
Automatic transmissions are terrible on Bighorns, although, many people got high mileages out of them. The cambelt needs replacing every 100 000 kms. Apart from that, Isuzu Bighorn is a nice truck with tonnes of room. Being an old fashioned diesel, they need regular oil changes, just like the Pajero.
The 2.8 Mitsi diesel is a chain drive OHC unit, goes well, but can cause problems if neglected. Either way, I would be looking at the following:
1. Sludge under the oil cap, or rocker cover.
2. Excessive amounts of oil in the intercooler and its hoses.
3. Blue smoke at any time.
4. Rusty looking water in the cooling system or water stains around the water pump, radiator and hoses.
5. Cambelt replacement history on Isuzu.
6. Tyres.
7. Signs of blown head gasket, like lots of white smoke, geyser from the radiator cap opening, or any water that's being forced out.
8. Should all look OK, get your local mechanic to check it out, just to be sure.

-90-, Jan 22, 11:31pm
Thanks for that. If honest I'm swaying towards the mitsi because of the cam chain. Downside, Heads seem to be soft on them.Had a 2.5 a few years ago . Slow and thirsty as ! But loved it.

alimac1, Jan 23, 6:28am
Belts aren't as much of an issue as a lot of people make them out to be. Chains are often neglected and stretch because they don't require the regular replacement like a belt does.

rocky0169, Jan 23, 6:42am
Izuzu. earlyer 3.1's had gear driven cam,s like the 2.8. personaly i would go the 2.8/3.1 izuzu over a mitzi.

scotty20001, Jan 23, 6:53am
2.8 is belt driven.

mugenb20b, Jan 23, 7:50am
Nope, Bighorn 2.8 and 3.1 diesels are belt driven. A very early 2.5 and late 2.8 diesel Rodeos are chain driven.

mugenb20b, Jan 23, 7:51am
I never said it was an issue, I said make sure it isn't due, or a $2500 purchase suddenly becomes a $3000 one.

outbidyou2, Jan 23, 10:15am
Owned a Mu for a few years, 80K when I got it, spent moon beams in maintenance etc. After I let it go I found out that it shat the diesel pump injectors (!) more big money and then was up for gearbox. Rear end seals leak (wait for gearbox crapout) driveshaft issues into 4wd, waterpump, alternator ($$) . Was a good ride but be prepared to spend money. Swb bumpy. Wasnt it the earlier Pajeros, 92ish that had head problems! I thought they got better after that. Honestly, from my experience the Izuzu will cost yo money, I would go Mitsi on this

pc_uncorrect, Jan 23, 12:40pm
The Elf 2.8 was chain (commercial 4jb1), but the Bighorn & Rodeo, Faster generally came out with belt (light commercial 4jb1 & turbo).Timing belt 30min to hour job, good access & easy for any DIY home mechanic.