Nissan e13 engines

Page 1 / 4
ginga4lyfe, Sep 2, 10:30am
Does anyone know whether the E13 engines are interferance or non interferance! I acquired a nissan sunny with a e13 and i dont know when the cambelt was last done, and it has 328000kms on the clock :P, otherwise its in almost perfect conditnion body and engine wise ( though i nearly killed the engine yesterday when the fanbelt broke! )

mantagsi, Sep 2, 10:32am
Pretty sure they are interference, I do remember years ago being a passenger in a mates E15ET turbo and the cambelt snapped, he had to get a new set of exhaust valves from nelson, vivid memories because as young fellas it cost a bloody fortune at the time

jasongroves, Sep 2, 10:43am
Yep, interference.I have a couple of Sunny's:)
I got plenty of spares;)

ginga4lyfe, Sep 2, 10:46am
Oh Nasty, Im wandering because after finding the shredded fan belt in the engine bay and then when trying to replace the belt and the tentioner bolt's head snapped off i started wandering on when last the cambelt was last done, it was a PITA too, because i pulled the alternator out to find that the bearings were rooted in the alt, and it wasnt charging properly, I priced up the parts on the phone at appco then when i get to appco they wanted an extra 100 bucks ontop "because they didnt quote the correct part number" so i ended up paying 20 bucks less for a New alternator than the parts combined. My 600 dollar car turned into a 800 dollar car quickly. but atleased im happy with it. and a damn good find in todays ecconomy

jasongroves, Sep 2, 10:47am
Keep an eye on the coolant!
Thermostat, waterpump etc too.they are notorious for cracking heads.
Trust me on this one.
Hang on.fan belt! Shouldn't have a fan belt.

ginga4lyfe, Sep 2, 10:50am
well I call it a "fan belt" but it only drives the alternator and the waterpump off the main crank pully, and yeah ill keep an eye on the coolant, i just about shat myself when i started going over the harbour bridge and instead of the temp going up in the guage. it went down. fast, so i coasted down the ramp and pulled off asap!only about 1.5 liters was missing from the radiator and it wasnt bubbeling once i had the car back together today, so im hoping i havnt cracked the head

ginga4lyfe, Sep 2, 10:52am
But, I did notice that when i first got the car Pre belt shredding, the temp only sat at quarter, now it sits at half, maybe ever so slightly more, so i will be test driving it tomorrow to see how she fairs

jasongroves, Sep 2, 10:54am
New thermostat time.

ginga4lyfe, Sep 2, 10:56am
fair enough, I wont even bother moving the car till i do that then!

I should probably mention it is a 1986 aswell as i had failed to do so earlyer lol

jasongroves, Sep 2, 11:41am
Yep, B11. Mine are an 83 and an 84.

jasongroves, Sep 2, 11:45am
Tridon part #TT241-180.
You can get a high flow one too but I've found the heater doesn't work as well.

jasongroves, Sep 2, 11:46am
Does your one have an overflow bottle!
Not all of them do.

ginga4lyfe, Sep 2, 11:56am
Nope mine only has the radiator drip off line( dunno what its actual name is haha ), I think ill hunt around a Pikapart and see what bits and pieces i can find one day, I may buy that e13s engine thats online too, just incase haha, I was actually after a Wagon version , but ended up with my Sedan, I had a N12 Nissan pulsar 1983/4 not too long ago with the same engine, but the water kept disappearing on that so i sold it on, its interesting that its still going even now when i look up the reg info

jasongroves, Sep 2, 12:11pm
I tried mine with an overflow and no difference at all.
Got an E13S motor here with the 12v head.will be for sale soon:)
Had a Californian wagon but just used the 5spd box in my sedan.

ginga4lyfe, Sep 2, 12:13pm
SHHHH! that sorta talk may get me banned! *Note to all this is NOT a wanted Post!* But otherwise. i hear you and i may be watching :)

xs1100, Sep 3, 12:58am
could be time for the radiator to get cleaned out also

ginga4lyfe, Sep 3, 2:12am
ok done, done the rad flush and thermostat, and it takes ages to burp the cooling system of fluid, but she does now warm up nicely and doesnt overheat,but im not too happy with the slight ticking in the water pump area, ohwell thats gunna have to wait a few weeks, the alternator blew my budget for a while haha, unless anyone is interested in a triumph 2500tc Diff for 200 bucks! haha

jasongroves, Sep 3, 9:51am
You sure it doesn't just need the valves adjusted! They need done around every 10,000kms or so.

jasongroves, Sep 3, 9:52am
Oh and I sold a brand new waterpump a few weeks back for $20;)

dent, Sep 3, 10:13am
I done a cambelt, seals, tension and water pump on my nissan sentra with the e13 engine. Parts at trade price was like $80.00. Not really worth not replacing.

ginga4lyfe, Sep 3, 10:21am
Yeah I Intend to do them asap aswell, its a worthwhile spend, and good peace of mind too

ginga4lyfe, Sep 5, 9:08am
Hey Jasongroves, I saw on nissanforums.com that you were transplanting an engine into your B11, what engine was that and how did that go! Iv seen some sr20ve conversions . and I LIKE!

Oh and ripco wunna rip me a new one for the cambelt idler bearing + Water pump at 120 bucks haha, not bad, but im sure i can do better haha

supernova2, Sep 5, 11:52am
My one broke the rocker shaft.Am told that the bolts holding the rocker gear to the head can work loose.Might be worth checking if you have noisey tappets.Had to helicoil mine as once oneend of shaft came loose it then pulled the threads on the other bolts.PIA for a loose bolt.

ginga4lyfe, Sep 5, 11:54am
oh sheesh, I better get onto that pronto then, but. what are the clearances! and are they to be set hot or cold!

jasongroves, Sep 5, 3:28pm
Mines just getting a GA16DS with a tweaked larger carb, minor head work, exhaust and intake.