Fixing my mini. advice please!

deflatedpumpkin, Sep 2, 6:20am
(in christchurch)
I've got a 76 austin mini, wanting to know if anyone knows the best person to take it to, to get the following done (i don't fiddle with electrics)
*heater installed
*cigarette charger/dc charger wired in
*indicators wired and switch installed so i can have hazard lights
*reverse lights wired and installed - on separate switch if necessary
*speedo made accurate

also.
*drum brakes replaced with disc brakes

thanks heaps!

jsbike, Sep 2, 6:33am
take the speedo to e.parrot and son, its not electrical.

deflatedpumpkin, Sep 2, 6:56am
sorry. i had to edit the drum brakes bit, had it in the "electrical list" should have put speedo in there :)
what else do e.parrot & son do!

jsbike, Sep 2, 7:01am
e.parront and son only fix, repair and sell gauges and speedo cables etc, no other mechanical work. Chances are if you take your speedo anywhere else to be fixed, they will just send it on to e.parrot anyway.

deflatedpumpkin, Sep 2, 7:20am
brilliant! thankyou very much :)

good auto-electrician in chch, anyone! not someone who charges ridiculous amounts. it's a mini lol not a heavily power-dependant jappa :P

bm4, Sep 2, 7:39am
dean fisk auto eletrical is good

deflatedpumpkin, Sep 2, 8:33am
which part of town are they in, bm4!

jsbike, Sep 2, 9:06am
Dean fisk auto, 366 9946, 19 Stewart St

Just figured something out, long time no see Vanessa :)

deflatedpumpkin, Sep 7, 4:53am
anyone know where the fuses are in an old mini! save me hunting for something i don't know what to look for LOL. got no indicators, lights, no fuel gauge, no temp gauge, but speedo and oil gauge are working.everything just stopped going! so i'm guessing a fuse.!

supernova2, Sep 7, 6:35am
under bonnett on inside of drivers guard just in front of bonnett hinge.Might still have the cover on fuse box.Its black and about twice the size of a match box.Has two fuses and orig had two spares as well.

flockton55, Sep 7, 10:18am
Why the disc brakes! Obviously better if you go down hills a lot, but Chch is mostly flat. Drums are fine 90% of time round town, only pain is they need adjusting relatively often to keep them at their peak performance.
The cost of a disc conversion, especially if you stick to BMC parts, is very high, as the bits are like hens' teeth.Perhaps cheaper if you use parts from something like a Honda City. There are well documented conversions from a number of small Japanese cars.
My opinion comes from running a 76 Mini with a modified Allegro 1275,- and drum brakes.

male_timaru, Sep 7, 10:54am
Did you sell the Suby!Or is this a new project V!

Vantage Automotive for Electrics and mechanics - all in one fell swoop - deal a lot with European cars too.Ask for Jamie

male_timaru, Sep 7, 10:56am
I know someone with a fully rebuilt 1275 Allegro motor and it has only done about a couple hundred kms since rebuild!He may be willing to sell now as he might need funds after a garage fire destroying his bike etc

deflatedpumpkin, Sep 7, 10:48pm
na still got the subie m_t. this is my cheap runner to work, and a cute wee toy lol

was thinking better brakes, because i value having stopping power, lol brakes didn't stand up to coming down dyers pass too well!

thanks supernova, was hoping it'd be that, it's going in to electrician for the cig charger today, they going to havea look to make sure nothing else is amiss!

flockton55, Sep 8, 5:34am
Ah well, if you are around the hills, discs really are the go, as the drums tend to fade, leading to white knuckles and brown trousers. Hope you get a good deal, as the conversion was too expensive for me.

deflatedpumpkin, Oct 13, 11:03am
lmfao@ white knuckles & brown trousers!
dammit, gotta get my gauges fixed, booked in to e.parrot in a coupla weeks, seems power is going in to the gauge, but not coming out. or somethin :P