Old Oil

richard198, Sep 9, 12:20pm
Probably been asked before; best place for disposing of old car/bike oil in Auckland (prefer North Shore) Also who buys car batteries on the Shore!

galex, Sep 9, 8:23pm
Take your oil to any Repcos branch, they have bins outside for it.
Re batteries I have used the Battmanhttp://www.battman.co.nz/he doesn't pay for old batteries [ who does! ] but will collect your old ones for free, most tips charge up to $20 to take them.The "Hazmobile" is another option.

lordv81, Sep 9, 8:43pm
Scrap yards in Hamilton pay for batteries so ones in Aucks should,only worth $5-10.

crzyhrse, Sep 9, 9:32pm

jgig23, Sep 9, 9:34pm
direct way of recycling it is to pour it back into the ground

bopbargains, Sep 9, 10:03pm
any scrap dealerwillpay $5-10 forbatteries and any transfer stationwillletyou dump up to 20 litres of oilforfree. (in Tauranga anyway)

mk3zephyr, Sep 9, 10:15pm
Comes from the ground

richard198, Sep 9, 10:18pm
Thanks guys!.clearout today!

tmenz, Sep 9, 10:31pm
As above - Repco, Wairau Rd have a bin at their door - the oil needs to be in a properly sealed container.

trader_84, Sep 9, 11:51pm
Gawd, what a have though, aye!

Lol! Avoid any business that claims to take your rubbish away for free . because there will be others in the same area that will pay you for it. Geezus, what a have! Another used to be (and probably are still out there but in ever dwindling numbers as the scrap metallers establish dominance) are the cretins that say they will come around and take your wreck away for free, lol! Like they are doing you a favour, lol! If its ferrous and/or non ferrous . its worth money to someone out there . and if you have enough of it, they will most likely call around to pick it up from you.

Used oil, lol! Another rort. First they brainwash you that if it touches the ground then you have killed all of the worms and will be responsible for global warming. Then they charge you for taking it from you. Most garages around here charge you for taking waste oil from you. I have a mate that works for a company that buys waste oil that they subsequently refine into 'heating oil' then sell. And this is the thing . theres two standards out there . his company pay other companies to fill its drums with their waste oil - including the garages. The same garage that charges Joe Public for getting rid of his used oil, lol! What a farking rort!

Waste oil has numerous uses around a workshop and property. Not sure what! Ask your oldman.

mechnificent, Sep 10, 12:03am
Run an old lister on it and generate electricity

richard198, Sep 10, 12:04am
I don't have an old man!! I've got too much oil; I'm tripping over it in my workshop! Was only ever looking to bin it. Problem sorted now thanks.

net_oz, Sep 10, 1:03am
Old oil, old tires, heaps of fun.

the_don_61, Sep 10, 1:08am
do you have wooden fences!.great way to use old oil.

galex, Sep 10, 1:48am
trader_84 wrote:
Gawd, what a have though, aye!

Lol! Avoid any business that claims to take your rubbish away for free .

Mmmmm let's see . pfaff around finding someone who will pay $5 for an old battery or let someone come and take it away, no contest in my world, it just ain't worth my time.!

trader_84, Sep 10, 2:35am
I wasn't getting at you dude . just pointing out the hilarity of it all . one mans rubbish is another mans r. you know how it goes. I wouldn't be dicking around for one battery either - I usually save them up until I do a scrap load or something, then throw them in.

richard198, Sep 10, 4:42am
I know where you're coming from but I've accumulated a lot of oil and batteries.it's for someone else to recycle; not me.

richard198, Oct 18, 9:12pm
Are we talking bonfires here or burnouts!
In a previous life I was on the chainsaw, so tyres, oil, diesel (and some brushwood) was how we kept warm in the winter!