Porsce 924 owners-some advice needed .

stelladoro, Jun 14, 2:03am
Hi guys, I was wondering about the availability of car covers, and if they make a noticeable difference in temp, as far as starting my car, ungaraged, at near freezing. (Welly) could I no8 wire it with blankets under the bonnet before nightfall, or is that just being blonde! I am looking for a garage-to do with insurance as well, but in the meantime.Please don't jump on me, I've noticed some people are just a bit mean about girls owning sportscars!

bmwnz, Jun 14, 2:57am
I don't think they make a great difference in keeping the car warm, but if you live in a frost prone area, they will keep your windows clear.

For the record, I have no problem at all with girls owning sportscars. Sexy as. :)

louweez1, Jun 14, 3:08am
hahaha bmw

thejazzpianoma, Jun 14, 3:49am
Might be better to get the car checked over if its hard starting in the cold. Even at near zero it should start quite easily. Near Zero is not really very cold by international standards, especially Germany where the car was made.

ringo2, Jun 14, 4:47am
And the Audi engine in the 924 is ultra reliable and not as tempermental as a Porsche engine. As jazz suggests I think that a good service of the electrics, plug leads and plugs could be in order.

stelladoro, Jun 14, 6:31am
Thanx guys, I thought it was a vw motor! and Im sure it would be warmer in a garage.but yes, I did ponder the snow in Germany!

stelladoro, Jun 14, 6:34am
oh, and I am taking it into Porsche mechanics for a checkover on Thurs.the solanoid (in the!, connected to!)) starter motor isn't working properly. But WHEN it works.Kapow!

stelladoro, Jun 18, 3:18am
Definately a VW Transporter engine, thanx ringo2. I was quoted $180 for a replacement starter motor if he can't repair the solanoid, plus labour. But, he wants to keep the car overnite! which I am not really happy about.any ideas guys! the motor is in good shape and does eventually start.should I bother getting this done straight away!

henderson_guy, Jun 18, 6:10am
It will only get worse, so it should be done sooner rather than later. Otherwise you're gonna end up stranded somewhere.

ringo2, Jun 18, 7:49am
Actually." At the time Porsche was considering introducing their own water cooled front engine 2+2 coupe to replace the 912E and their model of 914 and Volkswagen's cancellation provided an opportunity. Porsche purchased the design and finished development. The vehicle drove and handled exceptionally well and received positive reviews, but was criticized for the Audi-sourced 2 litre engine;"

angelab, Jun 18, 10:09am
We are all keen on stranded blondes. Do you want my cell phone!. Vaughan.

stelladoro, Jun 18, 10:30am
only if its an i-phone, thanx.

elect70, Jun 19, 1:33am
I lived at foot of Kiatoke hillso I put a heavy old canvas tarp over my car so didnt have to scrape /wash the ice off in the morning . Starting system needs to be in very good nick if in sub zero conditions

richardmayes, Jun 19, 3:04am
P.o.r.s.c.h.e.

stelladoro, Jun 19, 8:47am
Thanx, elect70.I have only had to deal with one frost so far, and just put the hose on gently.I am in Trentham.are you someone I could ask a few questions of! as I am totally new to Porsche. I have previously owned a 528 BMW which I loved.got to race it on the track in Taupo, with the Triumph club.which was a highlight of my life so far. I am hoping I can do the same again with this car. It's so beautiful! and purrs like a cat on the motorway.

stelladoro, Jun 28, 3:01am
Is there any one out there that has owned or mechanic'ed a porsche- so far I've had one person totally be wrong re solanoid "It will only get worse" and another quote me text from wikipedia. helooooo!.

richardmayes, Jun 28, 4:46am
If you want the forum's help and free advice in maintaining your aging european sports car, I would suggest that making smart-rsed comments when people try to help and choosing to ignore things you don't want to hear will not get you very far.

If you are already experiencing intermittent difficulties with starting it, Henderson Guy is correct that problem is not going to go away on its own, not even on a Porsche. And his suggestion to get it seen to now, before the problem escalates and the car becomes un-drivable is a good one IMO. It is often harder for a garage to diagnose an intermittent problem than a terminal one, but then it is always easier to drive to a garage than to have your car towed there.

Who knows how much longer it might continue to work as it is now! Years, maybe. Or perhaps tomorrow morning it will give up completely! Up to you.

sakofan, Jun 28, 4:56am
I owned an '81 924 Turbo (UK spec). Came with a leather car cover and a bunch of other stuff, but it didn't make any difference for startup - just a layer of paint protection really.
Keeping the battery charged and the engine clean will make winter a whole lot easier.

stelladoro, Jun 28, 6:21am
Thankyou, sakofan, for something concrete. wow, you guys are tough.richard mayes, point taken.its all new to me.just as well I have had it repaired then!
I'vegot a hundred questions. I think face to face might suit me better!

mad924, Sep 9, 4:25am
if you haven't already, read up at www.924board.org. theres several kiwi members there too. They have a technical FAQ.

gram, Sep 9, 5:24am
I restored a 1984 924.still have a manual. Bought it in Wgtn.drove it non-stop back to Kerikeri. Powerhaus in Thorndon know their stuff. Only issue I ever had with mine was hot start.which is pretty common. Lack of power steer and a/c killed it for me.

fordcrzy, Sep 9, 5:34am
$180 for a starter motor isnt exactly expensive.

michael.benn, Sep 10, 12:51am
Female. Drives a 924. Likes cars.

So. you taken! Haha.

trogedon, Oct 17, 8:54pm
I had a girlfriend called Giselle when I owned a 924. Neither were for the longterm.