Engine covered in oil - Shell service station !

wfl1, Sep 13, 9:04am
My wife called by our local Shell petrol station on Saturday purchasing fuel and oil needed topping up.On Monday she arrived home from work to say her car was smelling and the engine had cut out - she lost power and had come to a stop.She started the engine again and she was able to proceed.Once she was home I lifted the bonnet to find that the oil cap had not been replaced by the Shell service attendant and there was oil throughout the engine bay.Again today, Tuesday, whilstdriving home from work, she lost power again, the engine cut out and she came to a stop.Do you think the oil will have got into the electrics and if so, what damage would there be!Should we be speaking to Shell about this!My wife has phoned Shell yesterday and today and left messages for the manager but to date, he has not returned the call - any suggestions as to what we should do! By the way I was able to find a cap off a plastic container and fit it tightly until this is sorted.Car - Ford Fiesta -Thanks.

neville48, Sep 13, 9:10am
I hope you have proof you stopped at the shell station, if so , go right to the top of shell New Zealand and put a strong case to them, no reply .go to fair go, they just love the big boys.

msigg, Sep 13, 9:11am
Yes I think they should probably pay for a steam clean, and yes it could cause the engine to cut out , probably at idle if there is any tracking from the plug or ingnition somewhere. get some photo'sand go and see them.all the best.

gunhand, Sep 13, 9:24am
And this is why you rarely get service at service stations anymore.

sw20, Sep 13, 10:12am
Hope the oil didn't end up in the alternator.

neo_psy, Sep 13, 10:30am
Just go talk to the site manager - they'll sort it.

biddy6, Sep 13, 10:48am
Some engines dont run well without the oil cap on, looses the vacuum or something.

bent_ate, Sep 14, 5:14pm
Go ask repco or the likes for a 710, that will solve your car trouble

kevymtnz, Sep 14, 6:17pm
Well if you deal will shell you deal with hell
i never would go there + the covering their name with Z i believe
still shell fuel the biggest oil proffiters in the world
they could give every person in the world $100 and they still make a proffit

thefatfj, Sep 15, 7:27am
go back to the shell station u went to, u should b able to get proof if u havnt already,if they dont want to play ball,demand to c footage from there forecourt cctv,thats if it works, never get your oil checked atthe gas station, thats how they make money,hot engine, hot oil, theres still a fair amount of oil still in side the engine that hasnt drained back,

mellisa2000, Sep 15, 10:05am
Make sure the car is just stopping, and not seizing. Go back to the servo, they may still have CCTV records of the car. They may or may not choose to help, but should help with "Good Will" in any case of doubt. Good luck.

solarboy, Sep 15, 1:21pm
I'm hoping for his sake that O P actually replaced the missing oil as the car's still being driven .

oldyella1, Sep 15, 1:50pm
if you pd by eftpos you should have a reciept for the fuel and oil,it will back up your claim about being there.

marmatt, Sep 15, 4:11pm
the way i see it is why did it need topping updo you ever check it for her!
this is the reason you should do it yourself then thing like this wont happen!

300, Sep 15, 10:22pm
This is the very reason servos don't do this any more - Can cause to many issues etc.
Servicing should be done by professionals not low salary people etc

wfl1, Sep 16, 12:11am
I told her when she got home I had oil and usually check it here, motto of the story dont let anyone you dont know or of no mechanical knowledge tinker under the bonnet ,Car seems to be running ok now and Shell are meeting the cost of a new oil cap( $17 ), Thanks for everyones comments.

tigertim20, Sep 16, 12:42am
If your wife cant top the oil up herself,she shouldnt be driving.
Inflating your tyres to correct pressures, checking and topping up oil and filling your car with petrol should ALL be a part of the test to get a licence.
Yes, poor form by the petrol station but with the people they hire, what more did you expect!
Learn to do the basics yourself.

wfl1, Sep 16, 1:12am
tigertim20 wrote:
If your wife cant top the oil up herself,she shouldnt be driving.
Inflating your tyres to correct pressures, checking and topping up oil and filling your car with petrol should ALL be a part of the test to get a licence.
Yes, poor form by the petrol station but with the pimply faced retards they hire, what more did you expect! When she is going to work in her office job dressed in good clothes the last thing she wants to be doing
is checking her oil!

lugee, Oct 28, 3:12pm
Giving $100 to every person on the planet is 30 years worth of Shell's profits, so in other words, no they couldn't. not by a long shot.