Self tinting welding helmets. Advice needed

Page 1 / 3
austingtir, Jul 8, 5:39am
I use both i find the clear lens i have to replace to often with standard mig welding so i just stick with a $20dollar standard helmet but for dual shield, tig or stick the auto helmets are hard to beat.Speedglass is the best.I use a miller with respirator pack at work and the respirator is good but the miller autodarkening is no where near as good as speedglas.Speedglas is way overpriced though.

jaydeesnr, Jul 8, 8:24am
You cant get a flash through glass the ultra violet is refracted and will not burn the outer layer of your eye

trader_84, Jul 8, 8:31am
No one using sunnies and squinting!

austingtir, Jul 8, 10:05pm
Thats standard fare in china from the pictures iv seen.They usually use a bit of cardboard with cut to suit though.Man arceye is the worst i wouldnt wish it on anyone.

trader_84, Jul 8, 10:56pm
Its standard fare in the countries I have spent the last decade in. Cheap oil, cheap cigarettes and cheap Oakleys for zinging metal together.

red97, Jul 9, 12:58am
if you do get one and i reccomend you do then i suggest putting your old helmet where it is not easily accessable, more then once after i got my first auto helmet i put the old one on and started welding fully expecting it to go dark, needless to ay it didnt.

geoff_m, Jul 9, 8:24am
I have a cheapie one I got from the US about 5 years ago.It looks much the same as the cheap ones on here. I wouldn't be without it - especially for tacking work. My main complaint is that it is a bit dark when it is off (so you can see when you are setting up). I briefly had a replacement from a swap meet, which had 2 replaceable button batteries as well as the solar panel which was better - until it died after a hours use. Quality Chinese electronics.

Using the $600 Speedglass in the Lab when I was a Uni, I could see the difference - a bigger lens, 4 sensors instead of 2 (so it won't get shielded) and the clear was lighter so easier to see through.
Nice, but the cheap one was in my budget, and good enough.

skygone1, Jul 9, 10:20am
I improved my welding 100% and stopped welding the clamps to the job by buying a magnified lense to fit inside the helmet. and there was nothing wrong with my eyes I thought.

sfw4, Jul 10, 5:20am
Hahha yep classic! we have older guys who are too old skool and have no reason. wont listen to anyone but they do great welds with older black prehistoric helmets. each to their own i suppose.

sfw4, Jul 10, 5:23am
welding off and on since 1987. still use old black helmets. havnt even bothered with auto tint Procastination at its best! and a old skool grumpy moaner. anyone got those types of workmates! lol

mugenb20b, Jul 10, 6:59am
10 months later.

969pnz, Jul 17, 5:23am
Havent used flip helmet since I bought a cheap auto helmet to try. BUT wasnt long before I got a better product. The delay factor IMO is less of an issue than unintentional flash with the old type. And, yes, I have had arceye, so am very aware of eye health. I generally use one helmet set up for daylight use, and the the other for inside. Auto is good, but shop around and buy the best you can afford. T/Me has many good mid range units listed.

quickstitch, Jul 17, 5:58am
i use a speedglas, love it.

chris241, Jul 17, 6:55am
Yep speedglas is the best. Ive had 3 of them now and they are bloody good. My last one lasted a good 10 / 11 years. I use it every day and have never had any problems.

fhpottery, Sep 12, 7:04am
Can you give me a leg up on these. I am a bad welder. I thought if at least I can see what the heck I am welding my welding will improve. Welding the vice grip to the work is not a good look. (just kidding but my welding stinks)
What do I look for when buying a self tinting helmet! Are they a fad!

Thanks

unbeatabull, Sep 12, 7:05am
Ive found them helpful with Gas Welding, but I wouldn't use one for Mig Welding, that split second it takes to adjust is plenty of time for the light from the Mig to burn ya eyes.

mugenb20b, Sep 12, 7:05am
They are bloody awesome. Worth every penny.

i-n-horz, Sep 12, 7:07am
As long as you've it dialed in correctly it'll definately help with seeing what you are doing before hand and after.as for improving your welding I guess time will tell.

mugenb20b, Sep 12, 7:08am
Really! I can't say I've experienced any problems.

i-n-horz, Sep 12, 7:09am
Set up right you shouldn't have a problem using it with a mig.been using one with my mig for nearly 7yrs now.

johnf_456, Sep 12, 7:12am
They rock, worth it for sure.

dansue, Sep 12, 7:17am
Dont go for the cheapest model.Pay good money for a good helmet.
My 10 cents worth !

h.e, Sep 12, 7:33am
personally i dont like them and they certainly wont improve your welding.they have there uses but not in my opinion my job.if you cant see shout yourself new clear lens and a shade 9 welding lens.i replace my clear lens every 2 weeks or so,cant weld if you cant see

brokebloke1, Sep 12, 8:12am
ive been welding for 23 yrs and I dont have one, used one once and hated it.
using a self darking helment wont make you a better welder, only time and practice will.

fhpottery, Sep 12, 8:17am
Thanks guys/ladies. (non gender people) & others. I don't want flames onmy helmet, that looks camp. Is there a standard to look for! ie: NZS/AS or are they all imported mass produced crap! [like the jug I got recently].
I'd rather get a Trade Quality brand. Or do real welders not need these sort of things. Just curious as I am from an Industrial background and can't imagine a pulp and paper welder using one of these. Or do they!
Thanks.need to know. Too many trade me disasters lately.