Tyre Guys please

reggienz, Sep 16, 7:28am
An aquaintance of mine says I should be putting nitrogen in my tyres. I cant see any advantages, My wifes car is an 07 Sirion and mine a 4wd. What do the experts reckon! Oh yes, might as well have the boy racers' input as well lol

40wav, Sep 16, 7:42am
What were his/her reasons for this!

marte, Sep 16, 7:52am
Find out what it costs, it that make you wonder if you should, don't bother.

Wiki 'Nitrogen filled tires'. Its just a bit of a buzz word, if it ment that much we would have been doing it years ago.

However, if you pay $250 a tire & go from cold (sitting in a cold place) to hot tires (hot day, high speed running), or do it often enough or have extra wide tires.
A few $ isn't gonna matter.

trdbzr, Sep 16, 7:53am
I remember there was a big discussion on this quite a while back. Basically its something you should get in a race car. Doesn't offer any advantages if used in some daily driven car. Just another way for tyre places to get you to fork out some more cash.

mugenb20b, Sep 16, 7:55am
The theory behind it is that Nitrogen doesn't leak out as fast as air. $5 a tyre, waste of money. And if you're going off road, my guess would be that you are well used to lowering tyre pressures to improve grip etc, so again waste of money.

dent, Sep 16, 8:01am
The fact that oxygen already contains 78 percent nitrogen then I cant see any use for it in a normal road car.

illusion_, Sep 16, 10:01am
nitrogen is used in race cars because it is an inert gas. doesnt expand ,and increase pressure, as the tyres warm up. no other reason.

in almost all other applications it is a complete waste of time and money

rob_man, Sep 16, 10:11am
I think you mean the atmosphere is 78% nitrogen.

carkitter, Sep 16, 11:29am
Some of the cars we have at work have Nitrogen in the tyres. Their tyre pressure don't seem to drop like tyres filled with air. Considering that many people drive around on underinflated tyres, and that a 6psi drop can increase your tyre wear by up to 60%, as well as increasing your fuel consumption, then it would pay for itself fairly quickly. And we haven't even started on the performance and safety benefits of having correct tyre pressures all the time.

franc123, Sep 16, 11:36am
checking tyre pressures once a week as you should be using an accurate gauge stored in your glovebox and using the free air from a servo pays for itself even quicker :)Along with oil and water checks which seem to be a lost art these days.

icemans1, Sep 16, 12:57pm
a fool and their money are soon parted.

mrcat1, Sep 16, 8:56pm
I have just spent $525 a tyre, and i put 4 on, for my Venturer, still won't be using nitrogen. as others have said a good tyre gauge and compressor fixes the need for nitrogen.

rocker_553, Sep 16, 9:11pm
It's like getting clean, normal water out of the tap for free or paying $4.00 a bottle for water that probably has only come out of another tap at the servo, which would you rather do!

rkauto, Sep 16, 9:12pm
nitrofill com

cmx4eva, Sep 17, 12:14am
nothing wrong with air-the best things in life really are free,remember when garages used to advertise''free air'',going back a wee while aye!

johnf_456, Sep 17, 4:34am
Try explaining that to the average joe bloggs, some can't even up the bonnet! :(

carkitter, Sep 17, 10:37pm
$2100 on tyres! $35 on nitrogen to ensure you get the most wear and performance out of your investment sounds cheap to me. Some places even do free Nitrogen topups for the life of the tyres. How much for one of those 'good' tyre gauges and for your time spent regularly checking and rechecking tyre pressures over the next 40,000kms!

Nitrogen clearly offers a benefit from being a 'set and forget' option. What value you place on that convenience is up to you, but it's not expensive, nor is it snake-oil like other products out there such as oil treatments, energy polarizers and in-line fuel treatments.

carkitter, Sep 17, 10:48pm
Actually, that analogy doesn't work at all. You can't get free bottled water topups for the life of your bottle, nor does bottled water offer a noticeable benefit in racing conditions.

mrcat1, Sep 18, 2:51am
carkitter wrote:
$2100 on tyres! $35 on nitrogen to ensure you get the most wear and performance out of your investment sounds cheap to me. Some places even do free Nitrogen topups for the life of the tyres. How much for one of those 'good' tyre gauges and for your time spent regularly checking and rechecking tyre pressures over the next 40,000kms!

I already have a "good" tyre gauge, and compressor and i would expect a lot more than 40,000km's out of these tyres, my ST-C coopers i got 60,000kms of heavy hard work and issues with wheel alignment that i have now sorted out andso expecting the same or better distance out of these ST- Maxx. I am always checking tyre pressures anyway as i also have 7 trailers so keep a good eye on their tyres as well.

dids, Nov 1, 12:57pm
Maybe I need nitrogen in my wheelchair tyres as I'm a racer!