Heavy starter cable

Page 2 / 2
owene, Sep 23, 10:26pm
I'll come to you for advice next time then.

mrfxit, Sep 23, 10:47pm
LOL Sweet,
But really, it's just common sense, the other guys know way more then me but it's all getting pretty technical by then.

bigfatmat1, Sep 23, 11:16pm
op just out of curiosity what size engine and how long is the cable.

travis47, Sep 24, 9:30am
Any electrical wholesaler can source this cable, it is actually called welding cable. We often use it for batteries where volt drop needs to be minimised and have used loads of different sizes up to 400mm. It is amazing to run out such a big cable and have it so easy to work with, don't know how they did it before the stranded stuff was around.

Don't forger to take your cheque book.

owene, Sep 24, 11:12am
Nah, welding cable is typically 35mm. I bought 70mm and paid $23 a metre for it. Good stuff and very flexible albeit 18mm OD. Does the job perfectly.

morrisman1, Sep 24, 11:36am
its is quite common to write 100 square mm as 100mm^2 when superscript is not available.

morrisman1, Sep 24, 11:38am
The welding cable I used for my jumper leads is huge, I cannot see why any car would need more than a cable which is about 8-10mm in diameter excluding the insulation. After reading post 13 it would be around 90mm cable but a few have mentioned that arc welding cable is 35mm. Is it just that I have unusually large welding cable or is that equation in #13 incorrect!

travis47, Sep 25, 5:58am
Welding cable is a particular kind of cable not a cable from a welder. I have used welding cable up to 400mm, and we had to run 2 x 400mm cables for each to make the job easier, was not keen on running 800mm cables.

bigfatmat1, Sep 25, 7:05am
1000a/h battery only uses 70mm² typical automotive late model cars 16-200mm, 35² mm²4wds diesel ect. Trucks jap euro 50mm², american 12v 70mm².God knows what use 400mm² cable would be used for

whqqsh, Nov 17, 7:04pm
I grab old welding cable whenever I can, always someone looking for some. Best ones Ive got were near new & made nice 12+ foot long jumper leads, have even jumped a car 3 parking spaces over & another when a lady stalled at the lights behind me & I backed up, ran leads back to her car, should see the look on peoples faces