Servicing for a GDI engine at 100,000kms

gregr3, Sep 21, 12:25am
Hey, got a 2001 Nissan Stagea 250RS, 97,000kms on the clock and it's next service is due. The engine is a 2.5L V6 with direct injection, running pretty mint, but with minor overfuelling/pinking around the 2000-2500 rpm mark (to be formally confirmed).

Is there anything in particular (from a preventative/maintenance point of view) that should be included in this service given the kms (circa 100,000) and the type of engine (i.e. direct injection)! And no, it doesn't have a cam belt.

Cheers, Greg

srrolla76, Sep 21, 12:32am
a normal service only usually comprises of oil change, air filter clean, fluid check etc. pretty basic. u shouldnt need to muck around with fuel etc. as for the overfuelling, try injector cleaner.

gregr3, Sep 21, 12:42am
Yeah, thanks for that. was really wondering about anything over and above the normal service (and other than what's picked up on the day).

And with regard to the injector cleaner, been there a few times with no real results. Was thinking it might be a sensor issue (may be the O2 sensor(s)), although we'll get it looked at and testing properly shortly.

srrolla76, Sep 21, 12:48am
right i see now. yea it could very well be the sensors. u shouldnt need to replace it tho. u can get a spray that cleans any shit out of them from repco for pretty cheap. anythings worth a try. if it saves u money from a workshop. a workshop wont look for anything else. they will do the basic service and send it on its way unless you ask them to look in to any thing else. well that was the case at the garage i worked at

desmodave, Sep 21, 2:09am
Write in Nissan Stagea and search the motoring message board for previous posts.I recall seeing a common problem with them.

smac, Sep 21, 2:43am
Get over to the aussie skyline forum - there is indepth details there on how to clean out the intake system, and how to prevent it fouling in the future. By 100k it's well overdueThe crux of it is that the bad rep these engines got comes about because there is no air/fuel mixture washing the intact tracts - something needs to be done to replace that or long term it shags all the sensors = $$$

gregr3, Sep 22, 2:02am
Nice one, plenty of discussion and observation, just what I'm after.

For anyone with a DI engine, this is a particularly interesting thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/277914-any-direct-injected-300gt-250gt-v35s/page__hl__neo+di+servicing

Cheers, Greg

rocker_553, Sep 22, 2:14am
Your cleaner isn't working becasue of the direct injection, it gets bypassed where it's needed. You need to take the engine apart to clean up the carbon. Cleaner will NEVER work on these engines.

smac, Sep 22, 2:18am
Yup, that's the one I was thinking of.

gregr3, Nov 12, 8:55am
Pretty clear that the intake will be something to pay attention to, anything else to consider at the 100,000km service (from a preventative/maintenance point of view)!

Cheers.