Any point having a turbo timer!

Page 1 / 2
cdjtrading, Aug 27, 8:54am
Yes they did actually,honda legend v6 turbo, and 555 wrx both have factory turbo timers that ive come across

aragorn2003, Aug 27, 8:57am
wow you bumped a thread from over a year ago to say that

stevo2, Aug 27, 6:34pm
I put an alarm in my Hiace and bought the model with the turbo timer built into the alarm as it was only $10 dearer.
I live up a steep 1.5km long hill so I thought even if I dont need it, its not going to do any harm. Its set to idle for 1 minute and I couldnt be happier having peace of mind that my turbo is warming down.

rsr72, Aug 28, 2:11am
- only two models then, & both Noah's Ark stuff.
Virtually all car makers now produce turbo engines and I doubt any of them go to the trouble of fitting unneccessary timers to their engines.
They were never mainstream OE by manufacturers.

sw20, Aug 28, 2:36am
No they didn't. They were aftermarket.

jason18, Sep 17, 3:18am
Or do you just let the car idle 10 seconds or so before turning off!Cheers.

tigertim20, Sep 17, 3:20am
they dont do anything you cant do yourself.
how long you let it run at idle for should depend on how long youve been driving. round town, 10-20 seconds is fine, but a 4 hour drive, maybe a few mins.

NZTools, Sep 17, 3:26am
Cruising through town and suburban streets doesnt get a turbo hot enough to justify idling a car engine down.(rember to is load, not rpms that gets a turbo hot). If on the other hand you were pulling 44 to 50 ton, or ploughing a paddock, then it would a good option.

And dont forget your turbo is probably already water cooled.

jason18, Sep 17, 3:26am
Ok sweet as cheers

jason18, Sep 17, 3:27am
Ok sweet as its an 02 tt legacy

bleetbleet, Sep 17, 4:07am
i had been told that the reason you idle down is because the turbo can spin for minutes after the engine is turned off and while the engine is off the bearing in the turbo is getting no oil-so idleing engine for a minute or so. the turbo isnt spinning, there for once engine shuts off no oil required to turbo bearing.is this right!

emmaj26, Sep 17, 4:12am
one of the main reasons for a turbo timer is to stop oil clogging the lines when it cools down.Letting the car idle for a set time will do the same thing as a timer, letting the vehicle idle for 10 seconds you may as well turn the car straight off

phillip.weston, Sep 17, 4:16am
turbo timers came from the days of early mainstream turbocharging where the oils at the time couldn't cope with the extreme temperatures of the turbo core when the engine was switched off and therefore not circulating leading to coking up. With todays oils and water cooled turbos you should not have to worry about a turbo timer of any kind. I think there will be very few situations where the engine and turbo are under a high load and then immediately switched off.

philltauranga, Sep 17, 4:34am
Yes, I was told this by a turbo rebuilder, prehaps they dont spin for minutes tho but they certainly spin for some time. Allowing them to wind down by idling the engine also allow them to cool down with the cooler oil and water, fed to them from the coolers. He had a number of used turbos and showed me the differnce between untimed turbos that hadnt been cooled down and cracked their casings prematurely, and had bearings run dry. So if you are doing hard running like towing, or as mentioned earlier in trucks or machines under load then yes run the engine down for a few minutes. It has been stated how important it is in all the manufacturer supplied truck user manuals Ive ever read, there is also usually a big "WARNING, allow truck to idle for 3-5min before shutdown or serious turbo dammage may result" sticker on the dash of most American built trucks.

rsr72, Sep 17, 5:03am
Do all the world's car makers now building turbo engines see the need to fit timers!

clark20, Sep 17, 5:23am
No but would they replace your turbo under warranty!

poppajn, Sep 17, 5:34am
Modern trucks don,t have turbo timers fitted. We are told now with compound turbos that the slowing down, i.e. into the yard is enough and no need for a run up either. In saying this we have had only 2 turbo failures, both broken shafts, same truck, in the last 10 years. Cars may be different.

bdogg1, Sep 17, 5:56am
I have two uses for my turbo timer. 1.To ensure the turbo is cooled enough before the engine is shut off and 2. For warming the car up in the mornings without leaving the keys in the car while I pot around getting ready.I usually set it to the max 5 minutes. Handy!

mugenb20b, Sep 17, 5:59am
No, because there's no need if you read the owner's manual. It tells you how to drive and look after your car etc. Toyota 3CT diesel for example recommend leaving the engine to idle for 2 minutes after driving on steep hills or 100km/h, 1 minute if you are doing 80km/h and no need for cool off period if you are doing city driving or 50km/h.

mugenb20b, Sep 17, 6:00am
I have two car keys to do the same.

bevharris1938, Sep 17, 6:49am
Did any car with a turbo come out stock standard with a turbo timer !

franc123, Sep 17, 6:53am
If timers were neccessary they would be fitted ex factory, the last thing manufacturers would want is turbos pooping themselves all over the place while still under warranty.The mere fact that in the vast majority of cases they don't speaks for itself.They've been a good little money spinner for auto sparkies over the years though.

mugenb20b, Sep 17, 6:58am
Not necessary, but cool off period is required on most turbo engines. And turbos will outlast the warranty period anyway.

bigfatmat1, Sep 17, 7:32am
Actually quite a few new and older euro and american do, as well as alot of heavy machinery have them factory.

quickbuck, Sep 17, 7:39am
Including Turbo charged Helicopters ;)

But yeah, they do nothing a little mecahnical empathy doesn't do.