Any point having a turbo timer!

Page 2 / 2
mrcat1, Sep 17, 7:50am
I think you will find that CAT truck engines will run for 3 minutes as long as the clutch or throttle is not touched then shut down, i have wanted that in CAT machines for years but i believe the new model out has this feature in the ECU, so if its not operated for 3 minutes it will shut down.

fordcrzy, Sep 17, 7:53am
couldn't have put it better myself. perfect explanation of why turbo timers were used back in the old days.with modern computor designed turbo's and synthetic oil there is absolutly no reason for a TT

sr2, Sep 17, 9:28am
+2. I??

sw20, Sep 17, 10:45am
Fuel companies must love you pissing away fuel every day.

franc123, Sep 17, 9:56pm
Not to mention causing vast amounts of engine wear.Preserve the turbo but stuff the engine, good plan!

poppajn, Sep 17, 11:41pm
I,m working with this and have yet to see anything fitted in latter years.

mugenb20b, Sep 18, 12:29am
Sorry franc, I've never seen a stuffed engine due to idling. What about all the cars idling at traffic lights! They are still driving around quite happily.

kevymtnz, Sep 18, 12:38am
quite easy really unless u live top of a hill
just easy drive the last 1km before you arrive keep revs down say below 2,500rpm be light with pedal and idle the last few secs

bigfatmat1, Sep 18, 1:19am
scania, kenworth, hyundai, hitachi, cat

crzyhrse, Sep 18, 1:36am
He means cold start then idling when clearances between the different metal components are outside their normal range as they are when the engine is well below normal operating temperature. It's better to operate a vehicle gently to get it up to normal temperature more quickly to negate this.

mugenb20b, Sep 18, 2:15am
Ah, my apologies franc123.

rsr72, Nov 1, 1:09pm
No, as not considered necessary.