Causes of tyre perishing BADLY!

twobitcares, Oct 2, 2:31am
What would be possible causes of a tyre perishing so badly in several spots that the wire mesh material under the rubber is hanging out! Yet the tred is still fine.
This is a small car that has a sensible female driver and is mainly used for in town driving not open road.

mrfxit, Oct 2, 2:37am
Imported tyres that are already very old

unbeatabull, Oct 2, 2:39am
What parts of the tyre are perishing! Edges, centre, or just random spots!

mrfxit, Oct 2, 2:45am
What car brand / model & year
is it NZ new or import from Japan
If imported, WHEN

twobitcares, Oct 2, 2:46am
The parts where the tred is - not the flat surface near the hub caps.

twobitcares, Oct 2, 2:48am
The tyre came from a second hand tyre shop 3 and a half months ago. The WOF is not due for another two months.Car itself is not nz new

a.woodrow, Oct 2, 2:59am
Well where to start. the tyre could have been sitting out in the sun for years, or abused by previous owner. when you buy second hand tyres, you don't always know what your getting

robinm1, Oct 2, 3:00am
The car should not be driven on those tyres, they are now dangerous and illegal to drive on, rather than worry why they are perished, you should be more concerned about replacing them as soon as you can.

monzaman, Oct 2, 3:03am
Go back to tyre shop you got tyres from and say that this tyre deterioration (not caused by hard corneriing or bad wheel alignment or balance) is not acceptable within such a short time since purchaced and ask for exchange tyres at no extra charge.

twobitcares, Oct 2, 3:10am
I am female but Im not that silly! I pulled over as soon as something wasnt right and found all this wire stuff hanging out and areas that looked like itd been eaten away - not sure how soon this happend as im sure I wouldve noticed it before (it looks pretty extreme) I changed to the space saver and went straight home. I have been told im very lucky im not lying in a ditch with the condition they are in.

Edit to add- I will not be driving round on the space saver as I know this isnt ideal either and will be getting them replaced ASAP

mark.52, Oct 2, 3:16am
It's possibly a retreaded tyre that's coming apart. I've seen that, once. Brand new retread, too, poor batch of sticky stuff or something.

I don't know if it's still legal to fit or sell retreads.

kazbanz, Oct 2, 3:34am
OP --what you describe is VERY common in Jap import cars with low milage.The combination of high levels of ozone in the air in Japan coupled with low tyre pressures cause the rubber to "go off"(simple terms). In fairness to the tyre retailer I've had cars arrive with tyres that look totally fine untill they have been driven on for a few km's in NZ then they crack basicly exactly as you describe.
PLEASE go back t the tyre retailer and show them what has happened to the tyres. Whatever you do don't get angry but do show them the state of the tyresIf they are reasonable people they will first be horrified then will offer to assistin sorting you out a new set of tyres at the very least at a discounted price.
Again in fairness in my experience they are unlikely to have known there was a problem

vr4_legnum, Oct 2, 3:37am
You will find that is no warranty on the tyres since they are second hand tyres. What is more then fair. You pay for what you get.

kazbanz, Oct 2, 3:40am
Nope I don't agree. Second hand goods are covered by SOGA.
Besides that any reputable retailer is going to want repead custom and would be horrified that the tyres fell to bits

mrfxit, Oct 2, 3:42am
Nope, not fair.
Tread wearing out yes
Walls falling apart no

Ppl buy s/h tyres for price & the hope that the treadwill last till the next wof.
They DON'T expect that the walls will perish or collapse between wof's

vr4_legnum, Oct 2, 3:49am
Well if people cant afford to buy new tyres then they shouldnt own a car. Being to cheap and buying used tyres should be at people own risk

One reason why we DONT put any kind of warrarty on used tyres at work.

icemans1, Oct 2, 3:55am
bottom line is age. most trailers i've owned, the tyres have perished before the tread has worn out

twobitcares, Oct 2, 3:56am
People do experience times where they suddenly find themselves low on cash due to unforseen circumstances, hence buying second hand tyres. This dosnt mean they shouldnt own a car! I was told this would easily pass the next WOF and probably need replacing before the following WOF (a total of almost a years use)

vr4_legnum, Dec 1, 2:56pm
At the end of the day is not the tyre shop fault if somethink happens to them three and half months now the track. It risk your taking with used tyres so just sick it up and next time buy new tyres.