Fuel Consumption Between Cars

Page 1 / 2
boneysteve, Oct 2, 7:34am
I had a twin turbo B4 Legacy, but then had a 3rd baby, so I bought a seven seater 4WD (Mazda Proceed 2.6 petrol) to fit all the car seats in. They're all under 4. They both used $30-$40 a week. Not sure how many kms I do a week. Maybe 50. But now I'm sick of a big ol truck & want another car. In particular a big car, like a Commodore or Falcon.

First, I drive like a bit of a Nana these days, even in the B4. Now the Proceed is proberly a little bit more thirtsy than the B4. My question is: How would a 3.8 Commodore or a 4.0 Falcon compare to my two previous cars!

Mostly only do round town driving. Go on the odd trip now & then.

franc123, Oct 2, 7:45am
Probably a bit better if anything, about 11-13L/100km is the norm in purely urban running if you are gentle on them, 8-10 highway.Just do it, you won't know yourself, both of your previous vehicles were lousy choices for a family car.It might be a good idea to get a wagon though, sedan boots fill up far too quickly when you have that many kids and their gear on board, trust me been there done that!

boneysteve, Oct 2, 7:49am
Ok, thats encouraging. Really keen on getting the Commodore or Falcon.

Ha ha, I had the B4 before I meet my now wife & kids. I didn't want a people mover, so got the truck instead. But yeah, wish I just got a bigger car when I had the funds from the sale.

countrypete, Oct 2, 7:55am
Oh-oh.I can hear someone typing, Mul.mul.mult. aaargghhhh!

franc123, Oct 2, 8:06am
The OP has already stated they don't want a people mover AKA an embarrassing statement that they have given up on life and/or they are too scared to get a vasectomy.Go shopping for the Falcodore.

countrypete, Oct 2, 8:07am
That won't stop the Jazz.

weaver2010, Oct 2, 8:12am
50 kms per week around town and you want a BIG CAR!

We do 45-90kms per day open road driving and quite happy with a couple of 2 litre engines in fact now we got a 2 ltr diesel which the performance is not exactly a slug the fuel efficancy will cut around $40 off our $100 weekly bill.

boneysteve, Oct 2, 8:24am
50kms was just a guess. I only want a big car as I have three car seats.

To whoever said a people mover: I'm 28 I don't want a people mover.

And for your information I've had the snip too.

And also, what does the comment mut.mutt.mutlz mean!

dantes_auntie, Oct 2, 8:29am
buggered it it know. i have a 40lt tank, fulled currently costing between 75-85dollars . 2 weeks worth of driving around town

boneysteve, Oct 2, 8:52am
Oh right, a Fiat Multipla. Ha ha.

Anyone got an answer to my actual question!

franc123, Oct 2, 8:55am
Reread post 2 and compare it with the figures you have is the only way to answer that one.

cjohnw, Oct 2, 9:03am
OP, not sure what model Commodore you are thinking of. But I bought a 07 VE Commodore SV6 so I could get all three grandchildren in their car seats across the back. It was an excellent vehicle, plenty of room and very large boot. Like you I probably did under 100km per week and found it OK to manage fuel wise. But they are a big heavy car and I couldn't get much better than about 12.5km around town and about 10 - 11 on a short trip. The car has been sold now. Children have moved cities. But I would buy another anyday. Good luck with your search.

ryanm2, Oct 2, 6:14pm
the falcon / commodore boots are pretty big so you may not need a station wagon with that regard. although we 3 kids you might be lugging a heap of crap for holiday trips etc.(we have 2 kids and know how much crap you have to have). We had a VR commodore for a bit (was mothers). With around town driving $40 was getting us 140ish kms. That was when petrol was $1.90 a litre. Our current Subaru legacy (TS-R) from $40 at $2.09 is getting 160-170km with the same driving.

msigg, Oct 2, 6:16pm
Yea there won't be much difference in fuel use between the B4, Mazda and a falcon or commodore. The only way you can save more is go very small and you can't so just get what you want. $5.00 here or there an't gonna make any difference.

boneysteve, Oct 2, 6:40pm
I'm not trying to save money. I just want another car instead of the truck, but needs to be big. I'm happy with a Comm or Falcon costing the same as the truck. I would just hate if everyone was saying they were gonna be way more exspensive. The general consensis is, they are going to be much the same. Which is good.

Note: I'm pretty sure the truck doesn't get 140kms a week withe $40 a week I put in it.

ringo2, Oct 2, 11:38pm
If you are only doing 50 to 100 km urban running a week I wouldn't worry about fuel consumption unless you are tight for money.

modie61, Oct 2, 11:44pm
How many push chairs do you pack when you go out ! I reckon a wagon would be the go,plenty of room and comfy too.

tuttyclan, Oct 3, 12:24am
How much are you looking at spending!

boneysteve, Oct 3, 4:35am
Nah, don't want a wagon. The sedans look better.

My budget is around $6000.

A couple of those cars are ok, but don't want to travel further north than Chch. Thanks though.

I did have an LPG Falcon lined up for a straight swap. The guy was all good, but he owed money on it. The finance company wouldn't let it happen casue he owed more on it than my truck is worth.

So now I'm just looking for Comm or Falcon worth about the same as I can hopefully sell my truck for. 5-6 grand.

tuttyclan, Oct 3, 4:52am
Thats probably not too bad might cost less to buy than a LPG one.

tuttyclan, Oct 3, 4:58am
Just be careful with VT Commodores they have a lot of issues including powersteering racks,noisy diffs,rust in chassis rails and interior plastics breaking off to name a few.Falcons normally suffer from power steering racks,suspension bushes.Cant expect too much from a auzzie car but they are roomy and I think the falcon revs at around 1800 RPM at 100k I think which is good.Probabably suck the gas around town but not bad on a trip.

boneysteve, Oct 3, 5:38am
Oh really! There's heaps of them around. They can't be that bad can they!

Every car has its own problems. Are the ones you mentioned major or minor problems money wise!

I did email him a couple questions, & he said the speaker cover has fallen off. That backs up your statement of interior plastic breaking off.

gunhand, Oct 3, 5:48am
I think you would have to ask why it fell off. they dont just spontaneously drop off.

tuttyclan, Oct 3, 7:24am
I know someone with a VT and its had the powersteering rack replaced 3 times,the stereo only works on one speaker,glovebox door falls off,electric windows not working properly,noisy diff,coil packs needed replacement.

likit, Dec 7, 12:54pm
I've had my VT for 2 years now,got it at 140,000 now on 175.000 only thing I have replaced is oil,tyres & fanbelt.Just got wof & told power steering pump has small leak.Great on open rd,like any any car regular servicing & it will keep on going.My trip metre is on 8500 km & in that time I'm doing 11.2 L/100km