Round town fuel consumption vs open road

jcs4, Feb 25, 10:34pm
obviously this depends on the car, but how would you expect this to stack up!

my 1989 toyota corona (5 spd manual) uses roughly 8.3litres per 100km around town.

so I am wondering what to expect for the open road,

icemans1, Feb 25, 10:40pm
at a guess around 6L/100km

jasongroves, Feb 25, 10:41pm
I would safely expect to drop 1L per 100Km off that figure.
You may do better or worse of course depending on driving style and location (hills, braking etc).

jcs4, Feb 25, 10:58pm
I usually drive for economy, so smoothly and with minimal braking. im hoping I can get under 7.

franc123, Feb 25, 11:09pm
should be easily achievable, I would have thought that an urban figure of 8.3 was pretty good to start with for a car of that size.

jcs4, Feb 25, 11:28pm
yea I expected it to be worse and thats with a LOT of traffic lights, stopping/starting, and I will admit to using a bit more of the juice pedal than necessary

socram, Feb 26, 3:55am
I work on about a 30% difference between local stop start (especially with so many traffic lights around here)and more open road.Even two recent returntrips to Hampton Downs, towing an empty trailer in one direction and a full one in the other, the fuel consumpton was 15% better than normal for that tank!

phillip.weston, Feb 26, 4:28am
8.3L/100km is incredible for around town running, I would expect around 6-6.5L/100km on the open road. Some cars however are just the same on the open road than around town, especially ones which aren't so aerodynamic and rev really high at speed.

jcs4, Feb 26, 5:24am
this one looks fairly aerodynamic, and its a 5 speed, 5th gear is quite high. so im hoping it wont chew much on long trips

moosie_21, Feb 26, 7:58am
Which engine is in the Corona! If it's a 3sfe I'd say your figures are way off.

northernfist, Feb 26, 8:21am
Maybe he's a hypermiler. I got those figures as well easily with pulse and glide.

phillip.weston, Feb 26, 8:54am
Why do you say that! I'm getting similar figures with the 4S-FE Carina ED I'm driving currently.

johnf_456, Feb 26, 10:14am
Hamilton doesn't have much traffic lights heck compare auckland then the motorways. (I drive down Hamilton often) My old hack does 8 litres per 100k with a lead foot but still at the speed limit of course.

morrisman1, Feb 26, 10:21am
just as a comparison, in the sentra 1.6 manual I get close to 10L/100km around town (admittedly most my around town running involves the engine warming up) and in the low 6L/100km on the open road if the speed limit is obeyed. High 6's if I cruise at 120km/h.

richms, Feb 26, 10:49am
On the dash thing in an auto 1.6 getz I am normally on about 9 around town and 8 motorway, sometimes down to about 6 if I am stuck at slow speeds like 80k constantly. I dont know how that dash display compares to actual consumption but whenever mun drives it, it ends up at about 10.6 overall because of all the stop/start

wrong2, Feb 26, 10:57am
larger engines with more HP will have a larger difference between the 2 running conditions than smaller engines with low HP

wrong2, Feb 26, 10:59am
that would be a fantastic rate for an older2.0 powering a chassie like the 90's corona

the mint 94 SR18 Bluebird i had only just gave me 6.6L/100km . & that was being carefull

carkitter, Feb 26, 1:49pm
Depends on how well tuned your 1989 car is as maintaining a good open road cruising speed and overtaking slower traffic in this day and age where modern cars are significantly faster and better handling may tax you engine lowering the fuel economy.

jcs4, Jun 3, 5:41pm
its the 3sf, not the 3sfe (not sure if it makes much difference)

as for my figures being way off, well I have just done 300kms (on the trip meter) and only put $50 in (it ran out when just before I put the $50 in)

you can do maths yourself. but even if the speedo is 10% optimistic its still pretty good mileage.