Average fuel consumption of Honda Civic 1600 1992

bean21, Jan 31, 6:12pm
Hello there- I am considering buying a Honda Civic 1992 1600 manual for my daughter which is is good condition but want to know if any of you car enthusiasts can tell me what the fuel consumption is.The average km's per tank and how big is the fuel tank is.I am aware that it differs from car to car etc but a general ball park figure would be good.
thank guys. :)

r15, Jan 31, 8:05pm
typcally bugger all, and a good economical choice for a csr of that age.

assuming its fuel injected

cant give you numbers though

bean21, Jan 31, 8:34pm
thanks for that, I have no clue if it is fuel injected! but will find out

johnf_456, Jan 31, 9:51pm
Post a pxt of the engine bay is an easy way.

zirconium, Jan 31, 9:54pm
We had a 1997 civic 1600, nz new, manual, and could never get better than 7.9L/100km out of it. In town driving, usually 8.5 - 9L/100km. Had it for 7.5 years. Hated it.

zirconium, Jan 31, 9:56pm
The 1997 civic engines were old technology, same as the 1992 engines. Can't remember tank size or anything, we sold it in 2005. for fuel consumption comparison values, go by kms/L or L/100km, the latter is the industry standard.

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 10:04pm
^^^^

What model did you have!That sounds about right for the DOHC VTEC model but bugger all of them were sold NZ new here, or possibly an auto SOHC.The manual SOHC models should be more economical, with the VTEC (VTi and VTi-S) more economical again and the Jap import 3-stage VTEC more economical still.

mr_lovebug, Jan 31, 10:20pm
I think the Civic has a 35 to 40L tank,would not be much more than 40L's.

Normally honda get around 9 to 11k's per litre around town IF you are LIGHT on the gas & brakes.
Other wise you should get around 14 to 17k's per litre on a trip,again thats going at 90kph & keeping LIGHT foot!

I have a my share of HONDAS & love them!

I know that when I drive my mothers Ascot (has a 2L motor) I fly through the gas (be getting 6k's per litre), when I have foot down hard & it don't IF I drive it the same way a nana drives.
I know that the same car also loves 110 octane which means that I have put boost in the tank. When i do that it means I use LESS gas & have much lighter foot.

I now have a Daihatsu & get 13k's per litre around town & only 16's per litre on trip,due to the gearing of the car.Motor sits at 3k rpm in 5th gear (manual).can get more K's per litre if going slower or leave the wife at home. he he.

moosie_21, Jan 31, 11:20pm
Yerrrr, and where exactly do you get 110 octane gas! Has your mechanic geared the motor towards using 110 octane! Are you running a big block with massive superchargers in your little Ascot! Did you smoke too much crack this morning!

kramsnave, Jan 31, 11:30pm

zirconium, Feb 1, 12:23am
It was a no-bells-and-whistles 4door sedan LXi SOHC 1600cc. Def manual, lol, i would have killed myself by now otherwise!

- I think the main problem was that it had a small-car engine in a medium-car body. Well, that was the main problem with the poor-ish economy figures. :)

zirconium, Feb 1, 12:33am
bean21, what shape is the body! The car we had was quite roomy, but not very manouverable due to poor turning circle. The 2 door hatches are much better with regards to that.

audi_s_ate, Feb 1, 5:19am
I have had a few - currently an sir ek civic 1.6 - gets under 7.5l - 100km open rd. I had a very tired 89 1.5 dual carb civic that did 580km pure city driving from a 40l tank. Loved that car.
If you were chewing through the gas Im guessing you needed to change the thermostat.

zirconium, Feb 1, 5:58am
If this is for me, this car ended up being part of a pilot study for a proposed govt emissions testing scheme, and was set-up and tuned to within an inch of its life by one of the pro set up outfits in town. It was tested on a dino and had certified fuel, coolant etc etc, all its temperatures and emission orifices probed. They did before and after testing, and guess what! - No difference. *shrug*

wrong2, Feb 1, 6:22am
early 90's GA15 nissan sentras give as good as 17 km/L on highway driving

surely a 1600cc honda B16 or D16 would be up around 15 km/L !!!!!

carkitter, Feb 1, 6:22am
Utter rubbish!

The tank size is 42 litres.
The D-series engines were NOT old technology, they were state of the art. The cylinder head is FAR MORE EFFICIENT than any other SOHC engine at the time and on par with other manufacturers DOHC units. In 1992 you could buy a 1600cc DOHC Corolla with 70kW, a 2L DOHC Telstar/626 with 85kW or a 1600cc SOHC Civic with 88kW (which is the one your looking at). TheSOHC engine was so good that in 1994, Honda NZ dropped the DOHC engine in the Civic GTi and used the SOHC engine instead. Honda used SOHC technology on purpose because it is more fuel efficient than a DOHC engine, not because they are stupid and like to sell old technology like some people think. I drove many of the 92-95 Civics as a Honda Service Technician as they were an excellent little car with a 0-100km/h time of 9.5s which was a full second quicker than the 1994 Accord (both in manual form). All my work mates liked them too. We sold them by the truckload; they were hugely popular. For best fuel economy, get the manual rather than an auto.

The only known issue is just nit-picking really - the front brake stone guards are known for catching stones rather than keeping them out. Stones stuck in the front brakes make a horrible screeching noise but are easily removed. Otherwise, everything else works fine.

wrong2, Feb 1, 6:23am
my work car is a 1300 hatch . i get 17 km/L out of it on highway driving

yours is running bad

wrong2, Feb 1, 6:30am
err , civic gti's had both the DOHCd16 ZC & SOHC A6 as well as the B16

carkitter, Feb 1, 6:48am
No NZ-new Civics had the ZC or B16 engines. I was there at the time, my knowledge doesn't rest on wikipedia and google.

wrong2, Feb 1, 6:52am
& it was the VTI's that had the D15b

D series had flat ports & were designed in the mid 80's

they are old tech compared to the B's

carkitter, Feb 14, 9:32am
You can also choose between a 1994 Accord 2.2L SOHC with 108kW or a 2011 Mazda 6 2.0L DOHC with 108kW.
Honda's cylinder head design is very efficient AND lean burning. Other manufacturers are years/decades behind.