Insurance for youth ($1000 excess)

Page 1 / 3
rugby.sista, Oct 2, 10:21pm
Hi there
My teen girl is about to sit her restricted licence.
She has got a cheap little car that her grandad built up for her, to get her to school and back.
Our insurance company we have been with for 19 years, said her excess will be $1000. even if we go for third party only.The car is worth about $3000!lol.

I know the insurance companies take youth risk for crashes into consideration with insurance, but do any of you know a company that will insure teens without such a huge excess!

(our own excess is $100 through AMI)

andrea_w, Oct 2, 10:23pm
What type of car is it!

mechnificent, Oct 2, 10:38pm
I took third party for my boys, the premiums were reasonable and the excess, well. if they hit a fifty thousand dollar car.

sw20, Oct 2, 10:40pm
Excess has always been $500+ for teenage drivers, doesn't really matter what company. I think my excess on my first car which was a 1300 Corolla insured for $4k was $750, that was in 1998 as well!

rugby.sista, Oct 2, 11:25pm
I wouldnt mind $500 excess. I think $1000 is crazy

bellky, Oct 2, 11:28pm
from my very limited experience i think $1k is reasonably normal.

richardmayes, Oct 2, 11:31pm
Sounds about right.

Drive carefully.

oramac, Oct 2, 11:34pm
I have never had more than $50 excess, even when I was 15.

bellky, Oct 2, 11:38pm
are you 92! lol

loose.unit8, Oct 2, 11:40pm
If I remember correctly, my excess when on restricted @ 16 was $1500

jsbike, Oct 2, 11:57pm
I dont see what the problem is. no crash, no excess. simple.

mechnificent, Oct 3, 12:00am
Exactly so. And if there is a crash the grand will like as not seem cheap.

mechnificent, Oct 3, 12:02am
The excess is to prevent small trivial claims. If they cause a ding, just pay to have it fixed. if they crumple a rolls. it is cheap.

kiwicarol, Oct 3, 12:03am
$1k isnt bad for a teen. My daughters is $2k although she is no longer a teen.

rugby.sista, Oct 3, 12:18am
obviously.

sw20, Oct 3, 12:20am
Provided your teen isn't in the wrong if an incident occurs involving other motorists, she shouldn't have to pay her excess, her insurance company should just chase the at fault party.

rugby.sista, Oct 3, 12:20am
wow.Does she drive the latest jaguar!lol.Point is. its not a boy racer, or very valuable. no mods. standard shit bomb first car.

Anyway thanks.Guess $1000 excess for a bomb is standard. cheers.

bellky, Oct 3, 12:23am
yes i think this true

curlcrown, Oct 3, 2:36am
An old shape civic is worth a lot less then $3000 unless its the best one in captivity. Get 3rd party only. The excess is not for the old bomb its for the potential damage to another car.

ginga4lyfe, Oct 3, 2:41am
haha. i had a turbo Subaru were my excess was 150 bucks and my monthly was a mere 15 bucks a month! and yes they were FULLY aware it was turbo! ( was 17 at the time! )

r15, Oct 3, 2:47am
sorry, $1k is normal

vtecintegra, Oct 3, 3:04am
Is it actually a GTi like the example! Those letters tend to scare insurance companies even when they're attached to a low performance car.

bashfulbro, Oct 3, 5:48am
shop around, loyalty means nothing to Insurance Companies.

lugee, Oct 3, 6:09am
wat

morticia, Oct 3, 6:24am
The excess for my son on restricted is $1500 on either the third party or comprehensive policies, no matter which low spec car he may be driving at the time. It's age and licence category related. The 20 year old full licence holder is down to $750. Mine is $250 or $350 (can't remember off hand). The value of the car they drive has little to do with the potential value of a vehicle they may hit, hence no difference between the policy types.