Jan 1, new import laws, why do cost go up then!

Page 1 / 2
gunhand, Oct 5, 1:58am
Just read an article about the new laws about importing JUCs into NZ.
We new it was coming of course but it said (car dealer quote) that cars will have to go up in price. Why I ask. Sure you cant bring pre 05 imports but does that mean a 2000 whatever is now going to be worth even more! Why! its value hasnt changed has it, apart from supply and demand of course.
If the 2000 whatever is say worth $8000 isnt it still worth $8000 after Jan 1rst. Or does the price go up because people cant afford2005 plus car and therefore dealers can bump up prices.
I understand more 2005 plus imports will arrive and be more expensive due to being late model and probably worth more to purshase in Japan. But they wont be any more expensive to purchase than they would now would they!
So pre 05 imports will go up or have I got it all wrong! Quite probable.
OH, and does it up the value of my trade as well.

bill-robinson, Oct 5, 2:10am
used car prices should go down onthe first of Jan as the car is a year older. You are correct the value of the car does not change.Bill

crzyhrse, Oct 5, 2:14am
It'll be worth more because those who can't afford an '05 vehicle will be in the market for a limited pool of existing vehicles pre-'05.

crzyhrse, Oct 5, 2:15am
The value is demand driven.

rob_man, Oct 5, 2:20am
Rejoice Gunhand, as the existing fleet gains value there will be more incentive to keep them tidy and repair damage to them. Scrap metal dealers are going hard to grab as many cars as possible while they still have no value and that will also contribute to a shortage of cheaper cars.

3tomany, Oct 5, 2:39am
one auckland dealer is advertising to get in quick to buy his cars as when the new laws come in it will force up prices because he wont be able to source older poor emission cars, so what he is realy saying is its youre last chance to buy a heap of junk thats nearly stuffed so be quick suckers asyou will have to pay a little more for a good import when the dodgy ones are all gone

dr.doolittle, Oct 5, 2:47am
Rubbish.

bellky, Oct 5, 2:55am
rubbish

kazbanz, Oct 5, 3:14am
You REALLY need to learn to read not interpret tosuit yourself.
FACT- NO car that has less than a euro 4 RATING or equivilantwhich currently is 3 diget emmission code from japan will be allowed into the country.
That is NOT saying that older cars aren't as eco freindly just that the manufacturer can't PROOVE they are.
So NO pre 2003 car will be allowed in.In most cases its actually nopre 2005 and with euro's its 2007.
Fact- Current import levels are at about 103% of the level of deregistration --Ie 3% more cars are coming in than are going off the road -keep in mind we have a similar populartion growth so its just keeping up.
Fact-the prices on year 2000 cars aren't likely to rise in the short term
But because we can't get earlier cars and the later model stuff is already dearer its going to get harder to get and higher priced

catbrat, Oct 5, 3:17am
rather buy european anyway

bellky, Oct 5, 3:19am
you just said on another thread you could not afford to (buy a skoda)

kazbanz, Oct 5, 3:36am
whicc are going to go up the most in price due to nopre 07 coming in so good luck

gunhand, Oct 5, 3:38am
Do you think it will have any effect on Fords and Holdens from across the ditch or will there prices just stay as they are.

kazbanz, Oct 5, 3:44am
I dunno mate but I suspect that it may very well do.
actually theres a rort going on in godzone.ACTUAL emmission tests in NZ using NZ fuel have proven that a large number of pre euro 4 cars actually have exactly the same emmissions as euro4 compliant cars.
Its all about a number on a chasis plate not actual emissions

elvis58, Oct 5, 3:50am
Sounds very similar to the frontal compliance law aye!

rovercitroen, Oct 5, 3:59am
Another poorly thought out law from our employees.What a surprise.

elvis58, Oct 5, 4:10am
When i was working in compliance we had two vehicles there that looked identical, one was a mazda cargo, the other a Telstar, both 7 seaters, both same year, one complied, one didn't, total madness, very frustrating for many people over the year i expect. I also remember similar "hype" about price increases back then, cars were flooded in and stored by many to avoid it.

richardmayes, Oct 5, 4:12am
I'm suspicious of any and all theories around what will happen with the prices of fresh used imports.

Why!

Shitty, plastic, horrible base-spec 1.3 litre Toyota Vitz or Honda Fit. around $10,000 to $12,000 straight off the boat with about 100,000km on the clock.

Beautiful, big, leather-lined V6 Nissan Skyline, Honda Accord or Subaru Legacy whatever. around $10,000 to $12,000 straight off the boat with about 100,000km on the clock.

So I don't know where the prices of fresh imports come from, but the seem to bear not even the slightest resemblance to what the cars are actually made of.

mm12345, Oct 5, 4:26am
Buckling to intense and ongoing pressure from the Motor Industry Association - representing all new car importers.
IMVDA however does not represent all used car importers.
MIA probably has massive support from the Aussie car industry in particular - who will also lobby hard at Aus govt to NZ govt level.
The Japanese producers are also probably going to put pressure on.When NZ (and other countries) were sapping up surplus japanese made cars from japan, they probably didn't mind much - every used car exported was replaced by a new car sold in their domestic market.Now they've shifted "export" production outside Japan, used exports from Japan will hurt the Japanese makers more.

smac, Oct 5, 6:31am
Prices driven up by a tightening of standards is a complete crock purported by some within the industry. Total number of vehicles available will NOT change, there's plenty of used stock available that meet the standards. Prices of newer stock may in fact decrease because of a shift in the market from older to newer models. We've seen it all before when the frontal impact standards changed, and the medium/long term effects were prices are down on what they were.
I know some will argue this to death so I'm not going to bother - all I'd suggest is take note of a few bench mark makes and models (together with condition and k's) then compare that to the situation in 9 months. That will be the only thing worth taking any notice of, nothing the media blab or the industry crow off their soap box.

rob_man, Oct 5, 6:42am
#20 It wouldn't be a bad thing if the existing fleet increased in value or even just held value for longer. The eco advantages of later model cars aren't that great that they cancel out the footprint from the manufacturing of cars that are still perfectly servicable or negate their own manufacture.
I deal with car dealers and there is already a shortage of medium priced stock out there.

cocabowla, Oct 5, 8:14am

kazbanz, Oct 5, 8:36am
wanna make a little wager on that one! Money where mouth is and all that!

franc123, Oct 5, 8:38am
Panicky drivel is all that is.Seen it all before with frontal impact legislation etc and completely avoids the fact that the best way to kerb emissions is to have less vehicles on the road to start with, and what is being operated is kept in good running condition.

smac, Oct 5, 8:38am
Yeman :)What do you think a good couple of baseline models would be!