Has anyone import a car from japan

megan23, Nov 4, 9:53am
Looking at buying car from japan any input would be good etc

jimdaddy, Nov 4, 11:34am
i know someone who imported 3, one had slight mechanical issues and was a rust bucket and had to be sandblasted and re-sealed, the other two werent bad. now wouldnt be a good time to import from japan, just incase all those tsunami wet cars make it onto the boats headed this way.

eagles9999, Nov 4, 7:56pm
Go and buy from an importer so you can see what you are getting.

kazbanz, Nov 5, 6:24am
Megan--it really aint all that hard.
Whatever price you pay in Japan just add $3000 to that price for shipping/customs and compliance.
Do be aware that the ships this side of christmass are pretty full

megan23, Nov 5, 6:39am
Any good sites to look at for buying

geedubu, Nov 5, 6:46am
My opinion, don't do it unless you have very specific/unusual requirements.There are many very skilled importers battling to make a living off imports & it would be difficult for you to do better than buying a car already here.Although I may be prejudiced having had a hard time bringing back my own car after living in Japan!

megan23, Nov 5, 6:52am
Any good importers in chch to buy from or get u a car from there

kazbanz, Nov 5, 6:54am
ahh megan if you are at THAT stage then PLEASE use the search function on the left and have a good read.
By "that" stage I mean I assumed you had done all the research already and had worked out the economics and sources.
I could repost at lenth the process for you but it really has been said many times before
No sarcasm intended I promise

neo_psy, Nov 5, 6:54am
Most dealers will import to order.

megan23, Nov 5, 6:13pm
Yes but they like to put lots on it

jarrod261, Nov 5, 9:33pm
carview.co.jp

japiwi.boys, Nov 5, 9:41pm
The first thing people should have asked you is " What Year, Make and Model Car did you want to Buy ! " That way all the so called professional importers could give you knowledge about whether the car is at least able to be complied and registered in NZ. If it can't be complied there is no point looking to Japan for one.After that has been assertained the advise can then be more positive for you.

kazbanz, Nov 6, 12:59am
On what basis do you say this megan! Unless you have more knowledge regarding exchange rates,agents fees,freight costs,compliance costs,import gst etcthat is indicated in this thread how can you have any idea of the profit margin an importer makes on a vehicle they import for you!
The trap people fall into is looking up car prices in japan on web sites and seeing thousands of dollars difference between that price and the same vehicle in NZ.
Unfortunately that car in Japan is just thata car in JAPAN.
It needs to be shipped here,The government want their 15% of the purchase price. Then it has to be complied and registered. Working it backwards on a NZ retail $10000 car is about $3000.00 in extra costs.
Another issue I have noticed with some public access websites talking indollars for the car is that they are talking americal dollars so dependint on the exchange rate you need to add up to 25% to the car cost to convert it to NZ dollars.
As I posted earlier PLEASE read the threads asking for the same advice by other people.They really will answer a lot of your questions.
In a nutshell. If you are talking the correct vehicle you can save money buying direct but the personal risk is greater.

kazbanz, Nov 6, 1:01am
OR YOU could take the time and effort to READ threads by the OP and see that they are looking for a people mover 04-07 for around $16000
But hey don't let that stop YOU assuming.

xs1100, Feb 3, 3:53pm
and what do you do for a job megan,have yet to met a plumber/roofer/electrician that will do a job at mates rates but THEY ALL WANT THEM WHEN IT SUITS.and dont worry megan the car dealer pays tax on the VERY SMALL MARGIN he actually gets