How do you import a vehicle from japan ?

dazza135, Jun 5, 11:18am
With the new laws and regulations you need to be heaps careful! Pretty much any car older that 2005 can no longer be complied in NZ. If you are still keen then I suggest you find a dealer in japan (google), verify they are legit, organize freight and customs clearances, when it gets here it will need to undergo entrance certification, followed by registration, and then you are sweet. Huge amount of risk involved so if you haven't imported before or aren't 100% confident spend a few extra thousand and buy from a kiwi dealer.

wild-at-heart, Jun 5, 11:24am
What car is it you want that isnt already here!

jasongroves, Jun 5, 12:25pm
Sorry to interrupt but I'm interested to know of any ones experiences with importing dirt bikes, mainly interested in write offs for the use of parts!
Is it worth it!

tgray, Jun 5, 7:54pm
This thread is 10 months old, so either done it already by now or given up on the idea.

eagles9999, Jun 5, 9:07pm
Its amazing the old threads that get dredged up

dazza135, Jun 6, 12:31am
Probably not. The FOB price might be good, however add on freight, customs duty, GST etc . Unless you found individual parts that could be sent to you on say DHL you might be able to get a bit of a deal, but in my own experience the time, hassle and extra costs make it not worth it.

jasongroves, Jun 6, 12:58am
Ah, fair enough.
Thanks for that:)

desmodave, Jun 6, 1:57am
If you could find some1 importing a van and you may be able to stick a bike in the back or you could try using a dealer here that imports by the container load.See some nice bikes for auction in japan often with alot of bling

jasongroves, Jun 6, 2:01am
Can you recommend any auction sites!

japiwi.boys, Jun 6, 3:09am
No One does it any more, I used to have membership to Japan Bike Auctions and used to go to the hassle of loading a truck full of bikes for clients, But I don't do it anymore and nor does anyone else. It will be just a big dead end these days for that sort of thing.

desmodave, Jun 6, 4:31am
http://www.isibike.com/
You have to sign up to be a member so you will have to wait a day or so for them to make contact.

dave90, May 12, 7:00pm
Hi ,thinking of bringing a Jap import in - can anyone give me the low down how to do this!